1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Grammar Gripes and Other Psycholinguistic Squawkings

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Baraka_Guru, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Well, I have been contemplating dropping the "_Guru"...

2. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Hi, GOD :)

For what it's worth, I have never heard the following: Kick the can down the road, double down or boneless wings. I will google them. Especially 'boneless wings' .. I mean whart are they??

I utterly HATE "passion/passionate" "I/We are passionate about" - 'paper - your photographs are expressions of who you are and we guarentee archival quality with anti-fade for 80 years. You owe it to your grand-children' - 'cables - our oxygen free copper is now ion-aligned for ...'... Oh Feck, I've seen that in ad blurbs, heard it in sales pitches. Passion is So important to me, and to see it swooped down on by the Kestrals of Commerce makes me angry whenever it happens. People have given me the 'I'm Passionate' to my face. I have so turned into a Fuck Off ! machine. In my mind. In reality, I have said "That's very nice, then."

I'm lucky never to have been directly confronted by YOLO. I have never come across it except when referenced by people who hate it. I have a friend who's never used it, but whom I worryingly suspect MIGHT. I have put a muzzle on my inner Rotweiller just in case. Otherwize he'll prove her correct.

OK. You've asked a question ... let's actually answer it :)

"Love of Jesus" as in "can you not see it as an expression of the love of jesus" as in clumsy fuckers can do ANYTHING, and IF it goes totally Tits Up, and people's lives get fucked, then BECAUSE it's INTENDED with the 'love of jesus', the victim should contemplate ONLY the good intention and thereby give thanks. Fuck that. Inquisition played a variant of that card a long time ago. Not impressive then. Not impressive now.
    Chill, Zen, chill.

Others
    ymmv aka your mileage might vary <-- I actually like what it implies, but it's had its launch party.
    Home-invasion instead of break-in
    Not a problem as in "I won't have mayo on that" "No problem"
    This. As an expression of agreement … though I do use it myself.
    Anyways
    Anyhoo
    Call as in judgement call. In deference to keeping up with the times, I am forcing myself to learn to use it.

:)

3. Hail and Happy New Year, Zen! It's not surprising that these annoying Americanisms are less familiar to you.

"Kick the can down the road" has become popular, especially in political commentary. When you implement a stop-gap solution that doesn't really address or correct the real problem, you are "kicking the can down the road" to be dealt with at a later, usually more desperate time. "Double down" is a gambling reference being abused to describe the entrenchment of political ideologues on any given issue. You'll find it most applied to conservative positions regarding taxes and spending.

"Boneless wings": bite sized chunks of deep fried (supposed) chicken. Doubtful that most are truly deboned chicken wings. Popular American bar food.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

AKA: chicken nuggets for adults

• Like Like x 2
  5. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Right back at you, and you too, Baraka_Guru ... Happy New Year.

Thanks for the info. Those were, indeed, totally outside (of) my English experience :)

6. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

How about banishing this construction----

I loves me some... (fill in whatever you want here)

Probably nothing wrong with it, but it annoys ME, like the word sammich. Informality if fine, but do we have to sound like a bunch of kindergartners?

Or saying "three times less" when what you mean is one-third as much.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Personally, I loves me some sammich:D

Good calls, Lindy.

8. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

grumpyolddude

Coincidence is a Fine Thing!

'Fiscal Cliff' was on your list. I had never heard this one, but i wanted to limit the number I submitted to you on account of my ignorance.

Two hours later, I am talking with a friend from wisconsin on Skype and .........
    "FISCAL CLIFF."

I did mention that I did not know what it meant and that it is on a 'most hated phrases list'. He laughed and said that it has already been creatively modified. 'COW CLIFF' is a term now used when reporting some crisis in the farming industry.

I suppose people who are sick and tired off this evolving memidemic are on a cliff of our own.

Anyhoos I'm on a munchie cliff. Ima deploy my tactical spork to leverage edible assets with Xtreme produce. 'Cos I need a safe haven for when I hit bottom. Amirite or amirite. Ygm? Laterz

• Like Like x 2
  9. Yessir, Zen. When I hear pundits going on about the "fiscal cliff" I envision them as lemmings crashing over a cliff of their own ideological construction. But there's a whole forum devoted to that stuff... Moving on....

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Sterling;) word coinage there, Zen

• Like Like x 1
  11. itwasme

itwasme But you'll never prove it.

"ya, I know, right?" I hate that phrase. It ranks right up there with a dirty face and tangled hair. My daughter's doctor said that phrase today. Smacking her on the ass and saying, "YOU have a MOTHER - act like it" wasn't something I could get away with there. My family just grinned as I cringed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. itwasme, I'm completely guilty of using "I know, right?" in everyday speech. I've started moving towards just "Right?" instead to make myself look like less of a teenager.

I'm also a terribly hypocritical grammar nazi. I just re-discovered the proper use of the word "whose" instead of blindly using "who's" everywhere as I currently do.

13. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

I WANT to be in a appropriate situation to do say this!

14. Alistair Eurotrash

A minor thing, but the plural of "forum" is not "forums". I won't lose sleep over it, but it itches, just a little.

15. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

.... it's forumses

.... I likes them, my precioussssss :p

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Fora vs Forums
    (from Fora vs Forums « Pain in the English)

I would like to agree with Alistair but these two opinions strike me as more reasonable, all things considered.

17. Alistair Eurotrash

Well, yeah. It's why I don't lose sleep over it. But I had to study Latin and now have to live with the consequences :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

You remind me of my dad...he gets frustrated too, after 5 years of Latin in high school (Ontario, CA went up to grade 13).

19. Alistair Eurotrash

I keep hearing that! My personal flirting coach has advised me to get a tattoo. Do you think it will help?

Also, should I lose the pipe, cardigan and carpet slippers?

• Like Like x 1
  20. itwasme

itwasme But you'll never prove it.

Oh, no! Don't lose the pipe. I love the smell of pipes. Reminds me of my uncle.