1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Grammar Gripes and Other Psycholinguistic Squawkings

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Baraka_Guru, Aug 6, 2011.

1. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

Are you implying that I'm inferring?

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. Baraka_Guru

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. Baraka_Guru

• Like Like x 1
  5. My boss says "literally" all the time and before, it was wrong. I'm still going to cringe when she says it. 1) Crazy overuse of the word (It could be a drinking game.) 2) misuse of the word 85% of the time. I will stand by the original definition.

• Like Like x 1
  6. So I hate my new office mate. We all know that. She said "irregardless" just now. I could let it slide because most of the population misuses the word, but she emphasized the IR in it.

I have no intention of be the "actually" person. You know, that person who is an ass who always buts in when she's not wanted. "Actually, irregardless is a nonstandard word. When you use irregardless, it's a double negative and thus improper." I hate those people too.

I'm just going to be silent and hate everything that comes out of people's mouths. I will correct them in my head.

7. Baraka_Guru

You should correct them in their throats.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  8. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

How many errors can you find in this sentence?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  9. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

10. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I am thinking five.

11. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

I'll go with 5.

12. Baraka_Guru

Three copy edits, two substantive edits, and a stylistic fix will make this better. I might even go further than that. I'd take it up with the writer(s).

• Like Like x 1
  13. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I'm glad. This is what I had in mind. Style issues are sometimes difficult to address.

14. Baraka_Guru

15. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I saw this and immediately thought of Baraka's head essploding.

Emdom makes awesome nylon gear... and awesome Engrish.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Baraka_Guru

Jeezus. That thing reads all surreal-like.

It reads as though it were written with confidence and that nobody knows all the shit wrong with it.

You know, it reminds me of some of the exercises professional certified editors come up with to help train newbie copyeditors. At the time, I thought those exercises were way too contrived, because no one writes that way.

(I was so fucking wrong.)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Dude, you should write them and say that. Seriously. Drop your credentials and give 'em a hearty "Atta boy!" for their ridiculous captioning of their high end military soft gear. Either they'll laugh or they'll be total dicks about it... and either way you win.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Baraka_Guru

It will start an Internet debate that will culminate with my posting something like, "The Pilot G2 is mightier than the Colt AR-15!"

• Like Like x 1
  19. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I was hoping more for something along the lines of: "I find it so very sad that you work tirelessly to equip those that are supposedly fighting tyranny overseas when it seems like the tyranny of illiteracy has already won at home."

"Perhaps you should consider making a tactical nylon dictionary tote bag."

20. Baraka_Guru

Oh, yeah, these sorts of things would totally come out before that outburst I suggested.

These, and, "Well, you aren't prepared for society, but at least you're prepared for anarchy."

• Like Like x 1