1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Grammar Gripes and Other Psycholinguistic Squawkings

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Baraka_Guru, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Oh...
    And I thought you were talking about FEMdom...:D
    Was picturing Plan9 in some awesome nylon covering his expandable part...

• Like Like x 1
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I'm a bearly [sic] contained ball of rage at 16%.

The principal at my last school said "liberry" regularly. Ugh.

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

There's a reason for that: dissimilation.

Here, Emily Brewster, (ridiculously goddamned sexy) associate editor at Merriam-Webster, explains:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nYmWt1J4Lg

I sometimes severely downplay the one r sound myself to the point that some don't hear it and accuse me of saying "libary."

They honestly think I don't know there is more than one r in library...?

Fucking pedants! :p

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I typically prefer egalitarian sex play. The whole female domination thing is kinda ridiculous given most of the women I've slept with can barely do ten pushups. I can't get into that kinda silly fantasy.

"Whip me, beat me, I need love... slap with your leather glove." Pfft! Cracker, please. Only time I've been turned on by an aggressive woman has been in a martial arts setting.

You mean my pants?

HEY-OH!

Punctuation in text messages is the reason why I'm with my current girlfriend.

I loathe getting the brick of shorthand from my younger friends that I'm supposed to decipher on the go.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Baraka_Guru

I thought I was the only one who uses semicolons in text messages. (Or are they just called "texts"?)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

"mouth hole"
    Why?
    Mouth was fine, pie hole a little colourful but mouth hole? No imagination.

7. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Journalists are guilty.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Baraka_Guru

Journalists aren't editors.

Who can afford editors anymore?

9. snowy

Many of the mistakes listed on the poster are ones a mentor of mine condensed down into what's dubbed "The Unlucky Thirteen." I have an entire bulletin board worth of materials that focus on the Thirteen, along with mini-lessons to accompany each error. Invariably, students groan when told that the day's lesson will focus on grammar, but my mini-lessons are competitive, so the kids usually find them pretty entertaining. :p

I kind of want that poster-sized to go with the stuff I already have. I used the newspaper as a bad mentor text a few times this fall. Spot the Error is always a popular game.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Some news stories are written under a deadline, waiting as long as possible for additional news is common.
    Breaking news is reported ASAP; no time for proofreading by the reporter.
    Some reporters are good news hounds, but not such good writers.
    None of the above excuses sloppy writing when there is time to proofread and rewrite.

11. snowy

Teasing someone about their grammar in another thread reminded me of this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MpKVInHqAg

In a class last summer, I captioned this. While I personally would never try to diagram the Gettysburg Address, I did find it informative and interesting, and I thought that other grammar nerds might find it so as well. His other videos are also great.

12. Chris Noyb

I've been away from 'writing for a grade' for several decades, and my adherence to grammar rules has become very lax. It isn't helped by the amount of fiction that I read. I find that many novelist write to make the story entertaining, not to follow (sometimes archaic) grammar rules. And for the most part I'm fine with it.

A mini-rant regarding academic writing:
    While much of it might be grammatically correct, much of it also suffers from run on sentences, run on paragraphs, rigidity (no effort to mix short, medium & long sentences to break up the monotony), etc.

13. snowy

I completely agree. I've had to read a lot of academic writing this last year, and I've done my fair share of it as well. Editing chemical engineering papers written by non-native speakers is the worst, though it might tie with physical education papers written by PE majors. Both groups appear to have linguistic crutches that they use repeatedly.

14. Chris Noyb

I have some experience with abstracting which covers a wide variety of fields (academics, law, medical, scientific, etc.).

Many times the original article, paper, or document is dry & boring. The bad news is that 'stiff' writing can eventually rub off on the people who write abstracts (good writers start imitating the writing style that they're constantly subjected to, which might also partially explain bad academic writing). The good news is it's better to read a boring abstract than have to read the complete boring document (provided the abstract accurately captures the useful information in the document).

To be fair, many abstracts are written 'production' environments. The writer reads the document as quickly as possible, identifies the essential information (not as easy as it sounds), hammers out the abstract as quickly as possible (no time to give much, if any, thought to style), and repeats the process many times during the day. Personal note--I was good at the quick reading reading & comprehension, but sucked at typing (still do) and my brain moves faster than my fingers (way too many typos when I write in a hurry).
    --- merged: May 30, 2014 at 11:22 AM ---
    I have some experience with abstracting which covers a wide variety of fields (academics, law, medical, scientific, etc.).

Many times the original article, paper, or document is dry & boring. The bad news is that 'stiff' writing can eventually rub off on the people who write abstracts (good writers start imitating the writing style that they're constantly subjected to, which might also partially explain bad academic writing). The good news is it's better to read a boring abstract than have to read the complete boring document (provided the abstract accurately captures the useful information in the document).

To be fair, many abstracts are written 'production' environments. The writer reads the document as quickly as possible, identifies the essential information (not as easy as it sounds), hammers out the abstract as quickly as possible (no time to give much, if any, thought to style), and repeats the process many times during the day. Personal note--I was good at the quick reading reading & comprehension, but sucked at typing (still do) and my brain moves faster than my fingers (way too many typos when I write in a hurry).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2014
  15. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

My grandmother and grandfather were both published scientists.
    They said the most difficult part of their job, besides getting funding, was having to read their colleagues papers.
    Grandpa insisted that every scientist should have to take at least a couple of years of advanced Composition and Lit.
    He said the papers written by scientists who had ESL were often better.

16. snowy

My personal experience goes against that, but most of the engineers I know had a professor who was very insistent that they write well, as he considered it an essential professional skill to succeed in industry, not just academia. I have nothing but the utmost respect for this professor, as after I edited one of my husband's major group research papers during his senior year, the only criticism this prof had was that it wasn't "meaty" enough (btw, this story was such a popular anecdote, it got worked into a graduation speech by one of the guys in the group), so he does know his stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

In most of my engineering lab courses, lab reports were sent to the English department and received a second grade with copious red ink and comments.

We were told "It doesn't matter how good your ideas are if you can't express them clearly".

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chris Noyb

When I started at the UH, they had recently started requiring all students to take core requirements, which included 12 hours of English. I was told by several people, some in administration, that one of the main reasons was employers complained that the engineers graduating from UH couldn't write a basic paper.

EDIT--How the heck did I merge my own post?

19. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

I got a work-related email from a coworker the other day that contained a few text-speak abbreviations. I understood exactly what she was saying, it didn't bother me one bit, and I shed not a single tear for the future of written language.

20. Baraka_Guru

I hear this a lot: "Excuse you!"

I know what people mean when they say it. It's a cheeky (or sarcastic) play on "excuse me." However, it grates on my sensibilities.

Let me explain.

The simple reason is that "excuse me" would be the correct phrase to use by the offending party as an apology. By thrusting this sentiment on the offending party, it ruins the opportunity to provide the apology legitimately.

Second, "excuse you" just sounds bad because it seems to beg for "excuse yourself." It instead sounds like a polite "fuck you."

Anyway, I don't want to overthink it. (Too late?)

It just happens to be a common phrase I hear now. I want it to stop.

• Like Like x 5