1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Grammar Gripes and Other Psycholinguistic Squawkings

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Baraka_Guru, Aug 6, 2011.

1. wolf Evil Grin

There are so many english teachers in my family that grammar was forced upon me. I don't mind it when co-workers make grammatical mistakes, but when superiors and upper-management make stupid mistakes, it tends to drive me insane. The other day I saw this:

"Do to the following policy changes.... " Seriously? Do vs Due?

One thing that does make me cringe is this new fascination with making plural things singular.

Example:

Person 1: "I can't seem to find the sweaters."

Person 2: "There's plenty of sweaters over here" Should be "There are plenty of sweaters over here" Multiple sweaters... use the plural.

2. "Off-ten."

"One of the only."

3. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

"as of yet..."

4. Using "sell" as a noun and "sale" as a verb (the latter seems to be the more frequent mistake). I work as a sales assistant and see this error often in emails, memos, and even signage in retail locations. It drives me batshit crazy. I don't consider myself a member of the grammar or spelling police, but hell's bells...

5. atimnie New Member

Joe Quarterback lead his team to victory... AAAAARGH! It's LED, you moron, he LED his team to victory. LEAD, when pronounced like that, is used in a pencil, and I don't think a pencil LED his team to victory.

6. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

I don't understood what you mean by this ;)

7. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

"this may sound cliche"

8. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

One that always jars me is "off of" (the man got off of his horse). This, to me, reads perfectly as "the man got off his horse". What is that "of" for?

This one seems to be a very American usage - you rarely see it in "English" books.

Maybe our in-house editor can shed some light on this one?

9. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Ha. That's what happens when you edit on the fly and don't bother to proofread. I think I originally had "I never understood."

Yes, the of is unnecessary.

10. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Here's a personal pet peeve of mine: the conventional and all-too-frequent use of "impact" as a verb is wrong. It may be acceptable now, but back when I was a younger lass, impact was not a verb unless you were talking about teeth.

Also, the amount of deliberately misspelled textspeak circulating among young people and subsequently being passed off as real language these days makes me fearful for our future.

(HEY YOU KIDS, GET OFF MY LAWN.)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Baraka_Guru

OMG, this is everywhere! I hear it a lot in the media now.

In text, I'm always changing it to affects or something. At worst, I will change it to "had an impact on."

• Like Like x 1
  12. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

For starters, apologies for posting comments in this thread. :rolleyes:

It confuses me every time, I notice native speakers mistaking with to-too, then-than, could of-could have etc.

Very useful information here.

13. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

How about IF YOU WILL....If I will friggin what?
    There are more, but I have the "old timers" disease...(they'll eventually register, takes time...us old guys have punch card memory, need to wait for the card to kick out.) Hmmm, do you young un's even remember punch cards?

14. uncle phil

p-cam gear spat out of o24s, o26s, etc...

15. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Not to mention the apostrophization of proper names. Like Q'daffi or K'daffi. That guy in Libya. I see it most often in the names of African-American athletes (Ja'Marcus, Da'Morrio...) but it seems to be spreading.:oops:

16. Baraka_Guru

And damn those Irish! Those fucking O'Tooles, and those damn O'Learys!

I happen to like apostrophized names, especially fantasy ones.

But seriously, sometimes apostrophes are used in plurals to avoid confusion or awkwardness. For example:

• How many more "To be continued's" can we expect?
    • yes's and no's
    • maybe's
    • x's and y's
    • M.A.'s and Ph.D.'s

17. uncle phil

and how difficult is it to spell properly? i read so many posts on tfp, articles in magazines, even newspaper stories where it seems no one is proofreading anything anymore; i wonder if any of these 'writers' completed 8th grade...

and don't get me going on grammar and usage on television newscasts...

18. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Screw that... on our educational forums, we're all referred to as MAs and PhDs. And that's by professors who have those titles.
    And the motherfreaking APA. If they can call us "PhDs" than y'all can, too.
    And that's y'all not ya'll or yall. It's a bastardization of "you all". I bust out my all-a-yuz just to piss off the New Yorkers who "ya'll" me to death.

19. Baraka_Guru

The Chicago guide lists that as an alternative. I'm cool with either way.

uncle phil, this may shed some light: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/the-price-of-typos/

20. uncle phil