1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Grammar Gripes and Other Psycholinguistic Squawkings

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Baraka_Guru, Aug 6, 2011.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

There was a fragment in there, btw.

• Like Like x 1
  2. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i know.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

"Irregardless" is a pretty popular non-word to drop here at work when making a dramatic statement... so popular that we've changed it into "unirregardable" and other things. My personnel favorite, I think, was when someone declared "That's just fucking irrpregardastrous!"

My current time-never-passes is poking fun at sesquipedalian highbrows who should have learned a thing or two from our hero Babel: know your audience and keep the bullshit to a minimum. These kind of individuals, typically philosophy majors (at least here), that use $10 words in common conversation are almost always the kind of people that trollbait on forums with the use of the word "niggardly" and find themselves overjoyed by correcting those who are too lazy to hit the dictionary first. The use of corporate Newspeak and military jargon further intensifies this game.

Metamasturbation.

4. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

most of my grammar gripes have already been observed in this thread, but I would just like to lament the grammatically dubious and generally unimaginative writing of the patient notes at my job. When I take patient notes they are both clear and readable...and they flow from one matter to another with a logical progression. Which is as medical notes should be. Even if we are talking about pet patients. It drives me sort of crazy to see bad notes. hmph.

patient notes is one of my favorite parts of my job.

5. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

you're right, plan 9. i too have seen evidence of this evil trend of paying attention to words and their arrangements. and i agree with your assessment: people who pay attention to words and their arrangements may pretend that paying attention to words and their arrangements comes out interests of theirs....but really, it's all about making you personally feel inadequate.

those fucking philosophy majors....they ought to get real jobs and learn to communicate like regular americans.

6. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

My bad. Relax. I didn't mean to step on your beard (er, ego), Roachboy.

I was simply referring strictly to the colorful individuals here at work.

(Your corporate lingo is okay but your use of military jargon is really pathetic.)

I work 12-13-14 hours a day for months at a time without a day off.

The constant friction of frat boy versus ivory tower wears on me... because I'm neither.

Alternatively, your Other Option is identical to the one I offered Jazz earlier.

7. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

That's funny, because I'm both.

8. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I don't even know what that means. Probably because I'm a total moron.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Frat boy in the ivory tower! Frat boy in the ivory tower!

• Like Like x 1
  10. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

now now. no-one is a total moron. not even philosophy majors. which i wasn't, by the way. so i didn't take the earlier post personally--i just decided to play around with the lack of precision in it regarding what "here" meant.

11. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I think this is key. You know the rules; you can choose to break them in order to play with form over function.

12. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Would somebody please turn down the volume of the cuffed-hand-on-taunt-skin here? It's deafening.

13. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I know, I should have put a smiley after that. I was originally going to type "etc, etc, and so forth", but I choked.

• Like Like x 1
  14. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

• Like Like x 2
  15. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

16. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

i didn't see irregardless on that list... :)

17. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

18. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

check post #78... :)

19. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i used it on purpose. like the exclamation points that follow.

20. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

once you have to explain a joke, it takes all the punch out of it.

• Like Like x 1