1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Grammar Gripes and Other Psycholinguistic Squawkings

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Baraka_Guru, Aug 6, 2011.

1. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

sorry, the only funnies i saw were the last few words... :(

2. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

3. MI Auto News posted today: "Whose ready for some football?" Of course, they meant "Who is ready for some football?"

It really frustrates me to read how the automotive industry press mangles the language. They hire editors, but regularly publish articles that make the authors appear to be illiterate grease monkeys.

Nice links, Zen!

• Like Like x 1
  4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

It's not just the automotive press. What you posted could describe my local newspaper, grumpy.

5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Editing and journalism no longer pay enough to attract and retain intelligent, well-trained careerists. I mean, look at me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I think that, anymore, they copy/paste into a formatted layout, only editing for length. My old South Campus Journal staff had higher standards.

7. Baraka_Guru

Internet killed the newspaper star.

• Like Like x 3
  8. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

it's not like copy editing is suddenly impossible because of the net.

i know a lot of writers who put tremendous care into their surfaces. i put a lot of care into the production of the surfaces i make too. much of that follows from the simple fact that if you're trying to produce a perceptual distortion in a given piece, you can't break register. the more minimal the piece the more pressure bears on the surface.

so errors follow from a simple lack of attention to craft.

but craft is all there is.

unless you assume your audience is stupid.

but even then, you are producing a particular perceptual state when you stage the world in this way or that.

so the only ways in which such lapses in craft make sense is (a) you are in a hurry and are just spitting out stuff or (b) you assume no-one's really paying attention anyway.

but out here in the underground, no-one's paying attention. people produce objects all the time that no-one knows exist. some of those objects are really lovely. so that can't be it.

so (c) you have contempt for your audience. but not in an interesting way. rather, it's contempt in a sloppy, stupid way. so it rebounds back onto whomever is producing this stuff. why would you do that to yourself?

at this point, i no longer understand things enough to say.

9. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

I work at a small newspaper, that is trying to survive as a printed version. Incomes from ads are very important, we are on the mercy of marketing these days. Older journalists are usually professionals with editing their own stories, but these days they aren't given enough time to put on finishing their stories. Those, who edit news in the evenings from other sources, often have too much to do, and seem to have problems with technology. Computers and figuring out how to do stuff, when the procedures constantly keep changing, is giving them grey hair. Younger folks, I've noticed, don't get as stressed as the older over computer issues, but some of them can't handle grammar issues well enough.

10. roachboy, I suspect option "a" is more at play than the others, although "c" does happen.

I hear you, Doris. Trying to stay relevant in print in this 24 hour news cycle world puts a lot of pressure on a publication. My son was the editor of a chess magazine for a short time. The pressures of the production schedule were horribly nerve-wracking. The writers rarely sent articles in a publishing friendly form. He often was up all night re-writing and editing. I was proud of the work he produced, but I'm happy that he moved on from that gig.

11. uncle phil

back a few years ago, ARTelevision and i, along with other members of the staff, attempted to put together an e-zine made up of contributions from tfp members. dumb me volunteered to edit copy. you would not believe some of the stuff i had to deal with, along with fragile egos, personalities, etc. we never did get anything "published..."

12. I remember that.
    damn, I'm old

13. Baraka_Guru

Editors today typically need to edit more material over a shorter period of time than they have in the past. There is a crunch, and much of that is in cost savings.

As an example, between June and August, I edited four books. Four. Somehow, I also managed to proofread two more somewhere in between. That's the reality of small press publishing in Canada. News journalism has the same reality. Newspapers have been shedding editors like they were deadweight. But they're not. They just can't afford to keep them anymore.

In short, when you only have the time to go over material once or twice, and especially if you're rushed as it is and stressed out, you tend to miss things. Hopefully, these things are small and go unnoticed by most readers.

There is no such thing as the perfect book. I spot errors in nearly every one I read.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I think it might be apt to repeat the lyrics to one of the few songs that deals with grammar and spelling as part of a love song.

Underwhelmed - Sloan
    She was underwhelmed
    If that's a word
    I know it's not
    'Cause I looked it up
    That's one of those skills
    That I learned in my school

I was overwhelmed
    And I'm sure of that one
    'Cause I learned it
    Back in grade school
    When I was young

She said, "You is funny"
    I said, "You are funny"
    She said, "Thank you"
    And I said, "Never mind"
    And she rolled her eyes
    Her beautiful eyes

The point is not the grammar
    It's the feeling
    That is certainly in my heart
    But not in hers
    But not in hers
    But not in hers
    But not in hers

We were talkin' about people
    That eat meat
    I felt like an ass
    'Cause I was one
    She said, "It's okay"
    But I felt like
    I just ate my young

She's obviously
    A person with a cause
    I told her that
    I don't smoke or drink
    She told me to loosen up
    On her way to the L.C.

She skips her classes
    And gets good grades
    I go to my courses
    Rain or shine
    She's passed her classes
    While I attend mine
    While I attend mine
    While I attend mine
    While I attend

She wrote out a story
    About her life
    I think it included
    Something about me
    I'm not sure of that
    But I'm sure of one thing
    Her spelling's atrocious

She told me to read
    Between the lines
    And tell her exactly
    What I got out of it
    I told her affection had two F's
    Especially when you're dealing with me

I usually notice
    All the little things
    Once time I was proud of it
    She says it's annoying
    She cursed me up and down
    And rolled her R's
    (Her beautiful R's)

She says I'm caught up
    In triviality
    All I really wanna know
    Is what she thinks of me
    I think my love for her
    Makes me miss the point
    I miss the point
    I miss the point
    I miss the point
    I miss the point
    I miss the point
    I miss the point

• Like Like x 3
  15. uncle phil

"here IS some..."?

16. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

From my childhood. The Grammar Slammer Bammer.

17. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

^^ Oops, I probably make that mistake a lot.

18. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

I played around with 'some' and came up with the following:

Here are some logs for the fire
    There are some sausages on the BBQ
    There are some coins on the table

Here is some wood for the fire
    There is some meat on the BBQ
    there is some money on the table

The above applies 'some' to purals, and then to their collective terms.

I see another case which involves a distinction between quantity and amount:
    'Some sausages' refers to more than one sausage.
    One sausage can be cut up and I be given some slices.

Here is some sausage

• Like Like x 1
  19. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

or you could be referencing a sausage whose name you don't know or care about particularly to another person in the course of a conversation in, say, a publick house where for some reason you are continuously being interrupted by drunken sausages.

• Like Like x 3
  20. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Isn't that how conversations in publick houses go?