1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Growing Your Own Food

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Baraka_Guru, Mar 14, 2012.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I have a ton of peppers this year, my cayenne bushes are out of control. I might make salsa for Christmas gifts again this year.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I have switched to only growing raspberries and I am getting a lot this year. I probably should figure out how to freeze them, but I usually can eat them or mix them with sugar to make them last a little longer.

I don't have a big enough area to actually grow enough to last year-round, or to sell to other people. Some days I wish I lived out in the country a little more where you could have a big enough garden to produce a fair amount of your food for the year. Then I think about how much time it would take...

3. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Is this any more complicated than "put them in a bag, in the freezer"?

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Freezer jam is your answer. Seriously. Go buy some Ball instant pectin.

If you don't have the freezer space, cooked canned jam is stupid easy. Like, seriously. I think people overplay the difficulty of doing it. If you need instructions, I can find some.

5. genuinemommy

mmmmmmmmm freezer jam.

6. Rookie_85 New Member

I love food from my garden. My family used to have chickens, but that is now illegal in the city

7. snowy

It's that season again. This year, we have a lot of garden space to fill. Our house has two raised beds and our neighbor has a raised bed that I am going to help him plant. Additionally, we have our two community garden plots to plan and fill. My MIL is out of commission from gardening this spring, so it is up to us to get it planted. Today my plan is to clean up our two beds as the last tenants let them get choked up with weeds and grass. I'm going to basically just shovel out the top levels of soil into a weird dip in our backyard and then refill the beds with new soil and compost. Then they will be ready to plant some of my colder stuff--peas, kale, and chard will probably go into the ground this weekend. I'm pretty sure the last chance of frost is gone here, but the soils haven't warmed up enough yet to plant much else. I've also got several planters to plant with edible flowers.

8. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

Last year I planted:- two tomatoes, one mini sweet pepper, 1 cucumber and some salad greens. The tomatoes and cucumber were a great success (once someone told me that I had to manually polinate the cukes). The peppers grew a bunch but not nearly as much as I hoped. And the salad we didnt like at all. This was all in pots.

This year I planted two tomatoes again, a zuchinni, a cucumber, a cherry tomato and a regular green pepper. I also tried co-planting with seeds in the same pots of a few of them. In the tomatoes I put spring onions in the corners, and with the pepper I put Radishes.

I alo built a large (for me anyways) planter box out of cedar that is 6'x2' x 18" deep and planted all seeds in divided sections. Section one is bush beans that are coming up nice, section 2 is salad greens that are growing well. Section 3 is two rows of beets and one row of carrots. Beets are all sprouting. No sign of the carrots yet.

I wish I had a bigger backyard!

9. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

We're keeping the gardening venture somewhat small this year. We have four assorted tomatoes, two cucumber plants, banana peppers, serrano peppers, chocolate mint, grapefruit mint, and pimientos.

10. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Desperately seeking sun here in upstate NY.
    I think we're about one more rainy week away from our garden starting to rot in the ground.:(

11. snowy

I just spent the last fifteen minutes or so cleaning out one of my raised beds. It had a beautiful layer of leaves over the top, so it made it very easy to weed out, as I did not plant a cover crop. I anticipate having it ready to plant in the next couple of days with cool weather seedlings. Last year, I did a row of peas to shade the greens that will need it as the weather grows warmer, and that worked pretty well. I plan on doing the same this year.

12. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I have both Lemon and Lime Basil seedlings that I'm itching to get into the ground. Patience...

• Like Like x 1
  13. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

We haven't tried to grow food since the bunnies ate everything a few summers ago. I've considered doing something with a trough, but that might have to wait until next year.

I do want to plant herbs again this year, though. Our porch always smells SO GOOD, and walking out to snip fresh cilantro for enchiladas or basil for pasta sauces was fantastic. I think I'm going to try chamomile this year, too.

14. snowy

Chamomile can be aggressive. Just a heads-up.

15. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Good to know. It'll be in its own (fairly big) planter, and I'll be sure to keep an eye on it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

We have quite an assortment of seeds this year, and have a couple more to grab yet. I'm hoping to build a larger bed or two to let the chocolate and grapefruit mints just go batshit.

17. snowy

I picked up some peas, pak choi, and buckwheat yesterday. I'm going to use the buckwheat to help prep the other bed for my warm weather vegetables; since we don't know if we'll still be here or not, it would be nice to leave the beds in a good state for possible future tenants. I wouldn't want them to inherit the beds in the state that I did--covered in grass :( I planted my peas yesterday, and I am really excited about the cultivar I picked up, Sugar Daddy. It has a spacing of 2"--yes, 2"--and I think it will be perfect for my raised beds. I had some radish and lettuce mix on hand already, so I planted that as well. I love French Breakfast radishes, roasted, or just plain with butter and salt.

I also picked up some companion flowers to plant in the warm weather bed--marigolds and nasturtium.

18. snowy

'Tis the season!!!

I hope the people who took over my last place enjoyed the planted raised beds last year :( I did get to enjoy some of my early cold weather crops before we relocated.

This year, I'm in an apartment, so containers it is.

19. genuinemommy

We have not planted anything but basil. I plan to plant some other stuff, just haven't yet. I found my seeds. Thinking of getting them started. We also have a school garden to plant. That will be fun, too.

• Like Like x 1
  20. snowy

I just wanna go roll around in the dirt.

• Like Like x 2