1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Hard to get ammo in Australia

Discussion in 'Tilted Weaponry' started by zooksport2, Jun 14, 2016.

1. zooksport2

zooksport2 Vertical

Been waiting for some CCI ammo, for myself, and the pistol club.
    Order a case in March...
    Now told that I will be lucky to get any before the end of June. Seems there is 15 million rounds on back order here.

So, hey you blokes! Send some down under to us, please?

Anyone else having difficulty?

have a great day.

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Certain types of ammo were scarce for a couple years here recently too. .22lr was practically impossible to find for a long, long time, and many handgun rounds were also scarce. Mostly driven by speculators and false paranoia IMO. It seems that just in the last few months the supply is back to being readily available, even if prices are inflated. Hopefully you see it come back too.

For some reason I didn't think you Aussies were to be trusted with pistols and the like though? Do you have a special permit, or LE ties, if I may ask? What caliber are you trying to procure? How much?

3. zooksport2

zooksport2 Vertical

.22LR Very popular brand here in handgun.

Handguns are available only if you are a member of a gun glub, that is approved as a pistol range, and they have to be approved to shoot certain disiplines, and you are required to attend a minimum amount of shoots per year, usually 4 per year, but that increases if you have multiple weapons, or calibres. And the clubs have to send a report to police every year of attendance records.

Very few farmers and pastoralist can have "open" licenses, and usually still have to attend the range as well. Range membership usually around $500 per year, but some ranges with basic facilities can be found for less.

A new license application is around $250, and additions around $175. Then another $55 a year for the paper renewal, and a photo ID card last 5 years and another 20 bucks.

Thennnnn. around 10-12 months after you first start shooting handgun, you can apply to buy your own. After you buy a safe, and mount it in your house in an approved manner. And the cops come around every now and then, and can enter and check your safe. You can request they come back at a more convenient time, but you can't refuse them entry.

Easy as...

Rifles are a little easier.
    --- merged: Jun 14, 2016 at 8:18 PM ---
    A case of CCI .22 (5000 rounds), retail near $600...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Gotcha, I learned a lot from that post. Thank you for explaining it all. I hope you get your rounds in soon.

I'd be happy to send you a thousand or two, but I don't think our respective governments would be too thrilled with that. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2016
  5. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

This reminds me I should probably refresh my supplies. I haven't fired my weapons for years. My .30 Carbine rounds are mil surplus dating to Vietnam war era. My 20 gauge shells are maybe late 1990s. It's time to re-up.

6. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

Very informative, and also very sad to hear.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2016
  7. zooksport2

zooksport2 Vertical

Finally got some rounds about 2 weeks ago, and bought 2 cases for the club, which should last us about 12 months. 625/case, so not cheap.

But, as they say, the worst day shooting is still better than the best day at work...

• Like Like x 1
  8. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

It's October! That was quite the long wait.

9. zooksport2

zooksport2 Vertical

Things move slow downunder. Reeeeaaaalllll slow...

10. zooksport2

zooksport2 Vertical

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Ammo is hit & miss around here, mostly miss. The really strange part is Academy Sports & Outdoors, who should have the buying power to shove nearly every retailer out of the way, didn't have much ammo in stock around Christmas. And they never recovered, even before Covid-19.

The gun range near us has been forced to go through a middlemen, rather than their normal wholesalers.

12. zooksport2

zooksport2 Vertical

nah, mate. you never read the link: Its a list of guns we aren't allowed to buy, along with a couple we are.

Cos, we can't be trusted with a firearm....

hang on, I'll see if I can ctrl c/v

13. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

For some reason I couldn't previously read it (my phone does its own thing whenever it wants), but now I see.

If y'all can't have a Ruger SR22, you'll most likely never get the Taurus TX22.

There are few, very few, firearms we can't purchase in Texas. And since my phone sucks and I'm lazy, no link to details at this time. I'll use the laptop tomorrow.