1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone been to Berlin?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Strange Famous, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I am not rolling in money, but I think I need a short break if I cant have a real holiday this year.

Ive been thinking about having a short break in Berlin (prolly two nights)

Has anyone ever been there/lived there? Is there a lot to do and see (especially as my German is pretty terrible?)

2. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Didn't hit Berlin, but I did Munchen (Munich) for NY 2010 and it was fantastic (they set fireworks off in the streets all over the city, it's like WWIII). You've got the option of hitting up all the beer houses, the palace and art museum (takes all day even if you walk as fast as I do) while enjoying cheap, clean, efficient mass transit that puts the US to shame. If that isn't enough, you can also take the train south to the mountains for the day and check out the castles in the Alps. I'd imagine Berlin has a ton of stuff to offer. Getting one of those "Top 10" city books is a good start.

I hadn't taken any German since junior high and I went all Jason Bourne while I was in Germany... I suddenly knew how to form basic sentences and ask for things. English is, as you already know, a Germanic language. It's easy to get into the groove once you're forced into it. You'll be fine, man. If I survived it in the dead of winter puking with a 104 temperature and a girlfriend with an eye infection, you'll be walkin' on sunshine.