1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever been to a beach?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Oct 4, 2018.

?

Have you ever been to a beach?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't know.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Have you ever visited a beach?
    I mean a beach by an ocean and not a lake.

I assumed that everyone regularly visited beaches, but I was informed by someone who really doesn't live that far from a beach that they never had been. And it kinda made me wonder how uncommon it was to spend time at a beach.

Share any memories of special times at a beach.

2. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I have visited quite a few beaches - when I was a kid, we'd vacation at Myrtle Beach or in Florida (I honestly can't remember which part, I think Panama City Beach at least once?). I have also been to beaches in VA, MD, CA, WA, AK, and internationally in Wales, England, and Australia. Australian beaches were my absolute favorite!! So beautiful.

I really enjoy lake beaches as well - Lake Michigan and Lake Tahoe are amazing and the fresh water is really interesting compared to the salty and seaweed smells from the ocean. I love them both. I honestly forget how much I like the water until I spend more time there.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

As a kid I never went to a beach, as defined in the OP. We spent time on beaches on the Great Lakes, but never an ocean. I saw the ocean in NYC, but never at a beach.

As an adult we've done beach trips a bunch. One of our favorite spots is the "30A" section of the Florida Panhandle. We've rented houses on the beach a bunch of times down there. We've also done a couple of beach trips to Mexico.

Also, we've walked the beach in Oregon, Cannon Beach to be specific.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

As a child, I've been to the beaches in Florida and South Carolina. The Florida beaches' sand is a white powder unlike the gritty composites you see on other beaches.

(and just because this thread needs a pic)
    [​IMG]
    (although this was taken in Michigan)

• Like Like x 3
  5. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Many times. But I have never lived "by" the beach. And my trips to the beach are random and not as frequent as I would like.

• Like Like x 1
  6. omega

omega Very Tilted

As a kid, I grew up in Maryland, about three hours from Ocean City. Right next door was Dewey and Rehoboth. I had grandparents in Fort Lauderdale, so we did the beaches in southern Florida. My stepfathers' parents had retired to Hawaii, so there were a few trips out there as well. Kihei, Wailea, ka'anapali, the black sand beaches past the road to hana, etc. Been swimming in Maine off of Pendleton point, named after my stepfathers' family (family graves from the 1700s). As an adult, I have been to Aruba, San Diego, Cancun, Cabo San Lucas, Daytona, and the beaches in Charleston, SC. I like the water, even though I moved to the middle of the country. Snorkeling, boogie boarding, playing in the waves, looking at the fish. But I need to be active. I have snorkeled with barracuda miles offshore from a boat in Hawaii, and i have been scuba diving in Aruba, Cozumel, and Cabo. Placid water is not exciting to me. I need to be playing. I need a beach vacation. It's been too long.

• Like Like x 1
  7. paddyjoe

paddyjoe curious

the beaches of the outer cape in september are pretty special, sharks and all...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  8. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I grew up in a town named "Lake in the Hills", that, go figure; had a lake in the hills. I spent most of my childhood in and around water. That said, I never saw the ocean until I was 16 or so.

Since then, I've at least dipped a toe in the Atlantic, Pacific, Arctic, Tasman, and Mediterranean. Not my choice of vacation destination; but sometimes it comes with the territory.

• Like Like x 2
  9. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

In NJ I went to a to Atlantic City a number of times because it was the only one that didn't charge (stupid NJ).
    I've been to Maui beaches and they are stupidly crowded, not a fan.
    Alaskan beaches are basically rocks and mud but can be beautiful in their own way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  10. paddyjoe

paddyjoe curious

went to washington and found out where santa claus vacations...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

yes I have been many times, when I was a kid my parents and I always went to Daytona for a week during the summer. I enjoyed it as I was a kid....
    my daughter loves it and so does my wife, I personally hate the beach, following reasons
    im fat
    its hot
    no one wants to see all of this on the beach
    I don't want my daughter to be embarrassed

they always go during the summer with my mom, sometimes I go sometimes I don't. we always go to myrtle beach during the week of thanksgiving its just our family tradition its what we do. its not so hot then so I enjoy it a little more

12. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I don't get to them much these days.
    But I used to go often...especially when I was in Southern Connecticut and San Diego.

I should go, but I really don't get off on it anymore.
    I'd rather walk the beach, watching the people than lay out in the sun.

And I'd rather go to the active ocean than the bay. It's more interesting, more dynamic.

13. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

My favourite as a child was to go to Angourie. It is about a 45 minute drive from my parents house. Not the closest beach, but it does have giant fresh water pools right beside the ocean:

Angourie Blue and Green Pools

"The Angourie Blue and Green pools are extremely deep and are very popular freshwater swimming holes.

The pools have been used for swimming and diving for close to a century. Located within Angourie Reserve, the pools are accessible via a path at the carpark at the end of the Crescent, Angourie or from either Spooky or Angourie Beaches.

These freshwater pools are subject to algae blooms especially over the warmer months and may not be suitable for swimming at times. The latest results have the Blue pool on red alert due to high algae counts and it is not suitable for swimming at the moment. The Blue Pool is the first pool you come to when walking down the path. The Green pool a short walk further along the track is currently free from toxic algae and results indicate that it is currently okay for swimming.

The pools are unsupervised and there are submerged rock outcrops around the edge. When swimming people need to be aware that the pools are very deep and that there are risks associated with swimming here. People should exercise caution and comply with any signage and swim at their own risk.
    "

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

When I was a teenager that was what we did in the summer. If I can take exception to the idea that it has to be on the ocean to be called a beach. In the plains states there are a lot of little lakes (called sand pits -- no, not the same as a sandbox) made by dredging up sand from river bottoms areas. Sometimes just perfect sandy beaches. But could be dangerous because of the suddenness of the change from shallow to deep water.

Probably a dozen of those within a dozen miles of my little home town. A lot of them on secluded semi-public or private land with lots of uh... unsupervised activities. Like partying with drinking and sex.;)
    In Western Nebraska there is manmade Lake McConaughy with miles of sandy beaches (22 miles long and 4 miles wide) and, except on Holiday weekends, not very crowded.
    beautiful-sandy-beach.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. Frankie

Frankie Slightly Tilted

291F7B51-F864-4A45-8B8C-9E7BEA7E6ADD.jpeg love the beach especially nude beaches.

• Like Like x 1