1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever moved away?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Charlatan, Jul 18, 2011.

1. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

I lived in New York my whole life until graduating college, at which point I crossed the Mason Dixon and landed first in Tennessee (two months), then Florida (three months) and finally Maryland, where I've lived ever since.

2. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

I'm a home body... I've travelled a little bit in my life, but have only move 3 times, and all within the same small area. I like it here, and whether or not you people realise it or not, you're jealous because I *AM* here, and you're not (other Maritimers will understand this ;) )

3. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

To be honest, I was not of the best mind frame to fully enjoy it. It was certainly beautiful, though. I could see the ocean through my bedroom window, which was awesome.

There are definitely places there I'd like to visit again (the cliff I mentioned; the harbor; a particular restaurant on the harbor that had a fun way of serving tequila shots; the huge statue & overlook; the public gardens in Praia...) but plane tickets alone are over $1000, not to mention food and lodging. Maybe I'll take up sailing :D

4. LoganSnake

LoganSnake Vertical

Moved 5256.11 miles (8458.65 kilometers) from Odessa to Chicago.

5. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

When I was 16, I move from small town, Alberta, Canada to Columbus, Ohio, USA....

Anyone who says American culture, and Canadian culture is the same is a fool.... I wouldn't change any of it, or not experience any of it.... I missed living in Canada, it was home for me. I made a lot of good friends, had a lot of experiences.... should've stayed longer though to finish my University degree...

6. ktspktsp

ktspktsp Vertical

I've moved away several times in the last decade so that it's been a bit weird that I'm now "settled" in Seattle, with no moving plans...

7. 4.5 years ago i moved from sydney to dubai

last week, i moved back from dubai to sydney.

we're going to give sydney a serious shot and try and make a go of the bitter cold winter that i havent experienced in many years.

i missed family back home in Oz. I missed being a father to my son, and i missed mums cooking and being around my parents in their older age.

now i miss dubai, i miss the desert, i miss going to the beach at 6am to beat the heat, i miss my friends and the freedom to travel at short notice.

one day i will probably try the expat thing again. probably in sth east asia somwhere.

8. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

Home is where the Army sends me. I grew up in Pennsylvania for the first 18 years. Spend a little over 3 years in Texas (with a year of that in Iraq), then moved to Virginia for around 2 years. Next I got moved to Germany for 3 years (another year in Iraq), and now I'm in Washington. It's hard to be part of the Army without coming to think of most things as transitory.

9. Magpie

Magpie Getting Tilted

My home town is Lindsay. I was living in Oshawa during my collage years. I don't know if that counts. Then like Martian said we've now moved to Toronto.

10. I just moved from Colorado to Florida... Yesterday.

I'll let you know how it ends up.

11. DrSublime

DrSublime New Member

Moved many times. Fro? Arizona to Hawaii to north Carolina to new jersey to new york to Massachusetts and back to arizona. And many times in each state as well. Gotta love military life.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

12. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

"Bitter cold" one of the reasons I don't want to move back to Toronto has to do with a real bitter cold, like -10 to -20C. You Aussies make me laugh.

That said, a lot of what you say does ring true to the ex-pat life. I miss the city of Toronto as much as I miss the people I left there.

13. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Well, I'm still in the same state as my parents....but there is about 600km (7.5 hours drive) between their house and mine, so you could say I moved away. That was 23 years ago. I have no interest in going back, except for holidays. We still see them 2 or 3 times a year (whether they come here or we go there).

14. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Ironically, I just moved. I've been an Angeleno most of my life, and I LOVE L.A., but my wife got a sweet job in Chicago, and I lost mine, so we just moved to the Windy City. It's a lovely town, and I'm glad my wife is doing well, but moving is a bitch. I miss LA like a bastard, and I am totally looking forward to visiting soon. My wife and I are saying that Chicago's a good place to land right now, but we'd like to try getting back to LA in a few years....

15. sapiens

sapiens Vertical

I've moved a lot, but never out of the country.
    I moved to:
    Door County, WI a few days after graduating high school for 3 months.
    Michigan for four years of college.
    Atlanta for a year.
    Boston for a year.
    Austin for eight years.
    Tucson for 18 months.
    Chicago for 6 months.
    Tucson for a month.
    Texas where I am now.

My hardest move was from AZ to Chicago. I left my wife and kids in AZ for a job. It was not a happy period. Of all of the places I have lived, I miss Tucson the most. I miss the quirkiness of the city. I miss my daughter's school and my son's preschool. I miss our neighborhood. I miss our friends. I miss not having daylight savings time. I miss the sunny, warm winters and the sunny, hot summers. I need to let it go.

16. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

Moved out when I was 17 (strangely, I was the youngest of three, first to move out). Went to university in Burnaby after spending most of my life in the interior of BC. Actually, I guess I moved to Port Moody, then to Burnaby, now I live in Vancouver proper. I love it! Expensive city to live in, but it's just amazing.

17. Stick

Stick Vertical

Moved from Sydney - a horrible, stinking city with 4 million plus people in it - to Mudgee - a country town with about 8,000 people in and around the general area. Shitloads nicer and full of people who love guns, hunting and farming. YAY! Paradise! People actually say hello to you in the street - and not with the intention of robbing you!
    Edit - Also spent 3 months overseas with the Army, but that was just work.