1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Health Vs. Flavour

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by streak_56, Aug 14, 2011.

1. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

So, up till my cousin moved to Alberta from Ontario, I would always use plain, skinless, boneless chicken breasts. What changed was the flavour change when she cooked food with the bone and skin on.... I take the skin off because it doesn't appeal to me, but thats another issue. I was wondering if the Healthiness of no skin is worth the flavour goodness that is the bone and skin? Are there other food that I have been screwing myself over on flavour? Such as mashed potatoes with the skin on?

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I am a sucker for bone-in skin-on chicken. No doubt that it's far superior in flavor, enough to make up for the extra fat you have to burn to eat it.

I'd say the same for great cuts of steak like ribeye and porterhouse. It's way more enjoyable to eat one of those and know you have to burn some extra fat than to skimp and eat extremely lean cuts or (the horror!) forego steak completely.

3. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

It's my opinion that if you're eating the chicken on it's own you're doing it wrong, anyway -- I can't remember the last time I just baked a chicken breast and ate it plain, though I know folks do such things. Any time I use chicken it's in a recipe of some form that necessitates deboning and removing the skin anyway.

I don't eat red meat, so I'm biased on the steak thing, but it turns out that life does go on without it.

4. BadNick

BadNick Getting Tilted

How about if you take the skin off the chicken and then substitute bacon to make up for it? :confused: ...I'm sort of kidding so that's a fat-lover's joke.

To my taste, even if you combine the boneless/skinless chicken with other ingredients ala Martian, there is still an important role for fat in many recipes and foods. If I can't have a nice, juicy steak with adequate fat content, I don't bother eating it just because it looks similar.

5. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

I certainly wish 'they' would invent something which is like fat, but not.

For example, I was thinking about how an ex girlfriend used to berate me for the amount of butter I would have on bread. My usual problem was that I wanted the bread to be not too dry. It was last week I was doing myself some breat and butter and I realised .... it is the taste of the butter which 'is' my reason for having the bread in the first place.

When I was a child, on of the treats, after I had had the sunday roast, was the beef dripping. My goodness, those were the days. I would not touch that these days, but I will still happily put a bacon sandwich.

I had an angiogram last July. They said my arteries were in good condition, but decided to put me on statins as a preventative. That has got me thinking, and the issue in this thread title is a hot one for me.

6. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Fat doesn't have a monopoly on flavour.

Of course, you could, for starters, replace the animal fat in skin and such and replace it with healthful vegetable oil, such as olive or canola.

Generally, I find the best flavours are in the realm of herbs and spices, in addition to certain vegetables such as hot peppers, onion, garlic, and the like.

I've had some wonderful vegan dishes, which contain zero animal fat. I'm sure you could find out a way to make a skinless boneless chicken breast taste good. Try Indian or Thai cuisine.

By the way, I find it hard to sympathize. I'm one of those guys who can grill a boneless skinless chicken breast and eat it plain with a side of grilled vegetables. On the other hand, I also love tandoori chicken.

There are tons of options out there.

7. Skinless, boneless chicken breasts are great for marinating. I prefer that over a dry seasoning when grilling. Usually use an italian marinade.

However, grilling with the skin on is preferable. Much more tender, less chance of over cooking the meat.

8. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

There is a reason that chicken bones are used to make stock, there's one hell of a lot of flavor there. I prefer to cook chicken with skin and bones present, then remove both. For me, the increase in fat content is trivial, while the increase in flavor is not.

9. wolf Evil Grin

I love to cook any meat with the bone in... it has a heck of a lot more flavor. There is connective tissue to connect the bone to the meat which is lost when the bone is removed, plus all of the marrow in the bone it self. Yummy yummy goodness. With chicken, the fat between the skin and the meat is just fantastic. Dusted in some flour and fried.... ohhhhh tasty.