1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Healthier Options

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by genuinemommy, Oct 27, 2015.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

What do you throw on a plate to make yourself healthier?

My daughter loves eating fresh spinach like it's potato chips.
    She also likes potato chips, mind you, and I do too...so that's why we rarely keep them in our house. But we also love spinach.
    Today with her hot dog at lunch, she had a fistful of spinach. Always the first thing she grabs when she goes for her plate.

I've been buying mixed baby "power greens" recently. It has spinach, kale, and chard. I throw it on and in everything: baby food purees, smoothies, sandwiches... even added it to the pot with the noodles when I made mac & cheese last night. Turned out yummy. I really like how easy it is to get my servings of green things.

• Like Like x 1
  2. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Sardines are super good for you and ready to eat, if you can handle stinky fish.
    Dried figs and dates, also very healthy, easy to store and ready to eat.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I'm a big fan of spinach, especially in a green salad or a fruit smoothie.

Also, fruit in general. Some grapes or strawberries, even with breakfast, make for a nice addition.

• Like Like x 2
  4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I keep individual packs of almonds in my desk at work. Thanks, Trader Joes.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I replace rice with quinoa where I can to get more protein and iron.

6. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I'll go along with the spinach idea, raw asparagus with (or without) dip, sliced mild Anaheim or poblano green chiles, also chard, which is easy to grow.

I love berries of almost any variety, and I keep some of the little cherry tomatoes on my desk.

I drink milk (Sig doesn't care for milk) and we keep a cold bottle of V-8 juice in the fridge. I try to avoid grains, even whole grains.

I just wish there was something with the crunchy texture of potato chips without the carbs...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  7. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Mmmmm, spinach. I don't like lettuce, so I'll make salads with spinach occasionally. When I was blending smoothies every morning, I always threw in a bunch of kale or celery or spinach. I don't recommend peas in smoothies, for the record.

I also used to buy the Peter Rabbit pureed pouch thingies. Technically "baby food," but it was a super-easy way to add some veggies in during the day. I got kinda grossed out after some bad press on them, though, and haven't had any in over a year. I'll have to check out the "power greens" thing.

Lately, I've been making an effort to eat more vegetables with dinner. A can of green beans (the only veg I can eat from a can, weirdly), those Green Giant individual frozen packs, or some kind of veg-heavy soup. If I have oatmeal in the morning, I throw some flaxseed in.

8. genuinemommy

Cinna, the power greens are pretty much just bagged salad.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CinnamonGirl

Oh, haha! I was envisioning a powder or something.

Speaking of powder, I've been curious about powdered spirulina for a while now, but it's a little out of my regular food budget. I may splurge a little next paycheck and try it out.

10. genuinemommy

Oh, I do have a powder that I love! I'll share in a bit

• Like Like x 1
  11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I try to eat lots of sardines.

I also tend to add hemp hearts to things like shakes, salads, hot cereal, etc. They have omega-3s, fibre, and a decent dose of magnesium, which is often hard to get enough of.

I've recently started to eschew tortilla chips, potato chips, and the like and instead go for Beanitos, pork rinds, and popcorn.

I'm trying to eat more oatmeal instead of granola cereals.

I also want to start eating more quinoa and long-grain brown rice (e.g., basmati) instead of wheat.

I add kefir to my shakes. It's basically like drinkable yogurt but with way more probiotics.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  12. CinnamonGirl

On junk food: I stopped buying it. If there are potato chips or candy in the pantry, I will eat it. ALL OF IT. If there is un-portioned cheese in the fridge, I will gnaw on it like a hungry bear.

Not that cheese is "junk food" necessarily, but I have to either portion it out as soon as I get home from the grocery, or just buy it pre-portioned (Sargento snack sticks, I love you.)

I do indulge in smaller portions of "junk" on the weekends. That way I don't feel like I'm depriving myself and end up binging on say, Thursday night.

I'm also a big fan of the "trick" of using smaller plates. Unless I have a HUGE portion of veggies (which happens...I've eaten just mixed vegetables for dinner before), I use salad plates instead of regular dinner plates.

And lastly: "Taste the rainbow." No, not Skittles. I try to eat at least one thing vegetable or fruit from each color group every day. Some days I'm more successful than others, but even on the days I only have two or three, I'm still way ahead of where I was before.

• Like Like x 1