1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

help i need dream intrepretation

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by RestlessinPA, Sep 8, 2011.

1. RestlessinPA

RestlessinPA Vertical

Its sort of a long story, as usual.

I had a dream I was going to work and I was little early so I started shopping. Then all of a sudden I'm in this sexy outfit on my way to a party? (I don't got to parties). But I see my friend sitting on a bench, I go over to him...we don't say a word then all of a sudden we're naked and he's lying on top of me. Now we're not actually HAVING sex, but I hear him saying this is just to get ready. He's basically teasing me. The voice I hear is my boyfriends, but its still my friends face. THEN my friend puts his face in my neck and starts kissing it and when he leans back up, it's my boyfriend. Then I wake up.

Last night, I had a dream I'm in my old house and theres this kid I haven't seen since middle school! But he's all grown up. So we go upstairs and start having sex. But I'm completely uncomfortable and I'm trying to push him off of me, and I'm crying. Finally he gets off of me, I grab clothes and go downstairs. There's my boyfriend sitting on the couch and he sees me and gets this big smile. I smile run over to him and jump on him, we're kissing and laughing. and then I wake up.

I just don't know what to make of it? I don't want another sex dream like that tonight! I love my boyfriend. I've been cheated on before (not by him). I know how it feels and I would NEVER do that to him or ANYONE as a matter of fact. So I don't know why I keep dreaming that I am, and why it keeps ending me seeing my boyfriend. It sort of makes me guilty. So anyone have any clue as to WHAT it MAY mean? Thanks.

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Recurring dreams can be indicative of post-traumatic stress. Sometimes it's something mild or spread out, sometimes it's acute.

For example, I have recurring dreams of the really shitty job I had for five years as a teenager. No, really. I dream that I'm working there again as an adult, and I have anxiety of scheduling conflicts between that job and one or more of subsequent jobs I held. I think it's the anxiety resulting in feeling stuck in the job at the time. I had this weird sense of duty as a kid, that I couldn't let anyone down (probably get that from my mother...ugh, I have issues). So I didn't leave this shitty job for five years. It wasn't until I found another job through my sister's acquaintance that I Ieft.

But this is the most recurring dream I have. I think it's a result of the anxiety I have over having a responsibility and potentially screwing it up (the dreams often have me messing up my work schedule...i.e., missing shifts, or conflicting with a later job I had). It's really weird, and I haven't thought much about it. Man, I had that job over 15 years ago.

Anyway, back to you. I think this may be a result of the trauma you experienced having been cheated on. Your dream puts you in the cheater's shoes as an expression of this anxiety. It's the worst possible scenario. The anxiety is manifesting itself by putting the cause of the anxiety with you as its source.

It sounds like it really sucks, but that's quite possibly what's going on.

What do you do? Look at your relationship and see if you have trust issues. Not just about you, but your boyfriend. Do you trust him? Does he trust you? Do you talk about your commitment to each other?

Even if there are no issues in your current relationship, you seem to have taken on some baggage with you.

Maybe your dreams are telling you to sort that out.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

^^^ :applause:

• Like Like x 1
  5. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

^^^What he said

I'll try to go a bit further
    Could it be that you are in that transistion phase where you recognize that you love your boyfriend and begin (even subconsiously) to consider the long term and that's what triggered the anxiety and thus the dreams?

6. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

I used to have recurring dreams about being late from school. I either missed a bus or had car problems. Another one was to dream about still studying and realizing the school is soon over and I have have to pass some tests. I saw those dreams imo, because I have always felt, I didn't study enough, when I should have. In my dreams I was always getting back to a situation, where I still have a chance to fix this.

During several years after quitting smoking I still smoked in my dreams and always regretted getting back to that habit. It was a relief to wake up and know, I hadn't touched a cigarette. But those dreams were very unpleasant.

Someone, who knows about these things, like Baraka, is probably better source for dream interpretations, but I've also found many explanations from the site called Dream Moods (can't link you), especially by looking for certain key words from the dream dictionary. I've found interesting things there.

7. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I think it's positive that you end up with your boyfriend. You sound like you don't trust yourself, though you seem to be "cheating" with fairly safe people from your life. Have you discussed the effects of your previous partner's cheating with your beau?

I've had dreams that I've cheated on my present wife. She's had a tough life, and I worry that I might add to that.

8. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

It doesn't mean anything. Dreams don't mean anything, research into them still hasn't concluded what function they serve if any. At best, dream interpretation is a bunch of educated guesses with 20/20 hindsight and no predictive value.
    You're overthinking it. Everyone has the "didn't study hard enough/at all" dream. I brought this up with my mother a few months ago -- she graduated from undergrad in '74 and got her MBA in '83, and she still has the same dream.

9. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Geez, MSD. Do you think fiction and other forms of art don't mean anything either?

I mean, research has been going on in the arts for years, and they can't conclude anything there either, nor do they know for certain what function art serves, if any.... :p

Educated guesses too.

Is Hamlet mad?

10. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

What we read INTO the dreams means quite a bit, don't you think? Maybe the brain is just doing a cleaning algorithm while we sleep, but if some of the images disturb us, when we are awake, then they mean something. It's not necessarily that the dreams mean something, but they can certainly uncover, however accidentally, things that we need to address.

11. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

I also think, disturbing dreams are trying to tell us something, we should take notice of, but what we can't figure out in our conscious minds.

It's not very often I even remember a dream, so I welcome any recollection of them. At best they are good entertainment.

12. RestlessinPA

RestlessinPA Vertical

I only have one recurring dream. I've never had a recurring dream before this but, when I moved out of my house in January it caused A LOT of drama. There was a ton of fighting between my parents and I and it wasn't until recently that I cut the ties to my whole family. I know that sounds bad, but let me explain. The reason I cut the ties is because after I moved out; my mom was constantly calling my boyfriend and leaving him nasty messages. Then she started calling his parents house and leaving nasty messages on the answering machine and finally she started messaging everyone on facebook (my family) and telling them she sent me away to rehab for drug abuse. I was just getting sick of hearing it all. So I cut the ties. But ever since I moved out, I'll have dreams its the day I'm moving out all over again OR my boyfriend will be on his way home to pick me up and for some reason I'm at my house because I had this brilliant idea to pop in and say hello. And then the fighting starts.
    Anyway, to answer your questions. We do trust each other. I've never trusted anyone this much and we have discussed our future. We're always talking about getting married and stuff. And he knows I've been cheated on before and he told me he would never do that to me because its hurtful. Which I believe him about. And he knows I would NEVER cheat on me either. We both know where we stand in this relationship. Know what I mean? I think I'm thinking too much into, like other people have suggested.
    We've talked about the long-term and all. And like I said above, we're both in this. I really do hope we are officially moved in together by the end of this year or the beginning of next year. I'm actually more worried he'll get sick of me at some point and not want that with me anymore. Which he's always reassuring me is a completely pointless thought, but I can't help thinking about it.
    I haven't had the dreams since, but whenever I have a dream that sticks out that much to me...I can't do anything but worry and think about it. My one friend didn't reassure me very well when he told me I shouldn't be dreaming about any other guys except my boyfriend. Way to make me feel better! Anyway, after talking to everyone and hearing their thoughts/opinions...I actually feel loads better. And I am considering the fact that I may have been over-thinking it. But thanks everyone for your thoughts :) at that moment, I was freaking out a tad bit.

13. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

It's weird, that someone would say "you shouldn't be dreaming about something", when we seldom can control our dreams - I've heard some people lucid dream and they say they can control their dreams.

I've dreamt of being with other people, I've talked to dead people and even found myself hiding a body, I knew I had killed in my dreams. Sometimes I may wake up in terrible fear, because something in the dream extremely scared me and the feeling stays a while after waking up, but I never take my dreams too literally.

I've seen some dreams of other people, that later became true in a way, I couldn't have known in advance. This spooks me a little.

14. RestlessinPA

RestlessinPA Vertical

I just experienced this the other day! And i realize i do it when im sort of awake. I felt like I was waking up and if I opened my eyes I knew I would be awake for good. And at that moment something in my dream happened and I didn't like the way it went. And all I remember is saying no, i rewound the dream and made it go in a different direction.

Then when I actually DID wake up, I was like oh wow i controlled my dream! It was cool.

15. re: the OP
    Those are just sex dreams. You miss your boyfriend and, presumably, the intimacy you have shared with him. You start with a fairly random image that your brain has stored, but end up with your boyfriend... where your affections lead you. I wouldn't stress over it. I have been married for close to 32 years and am still madly in love with her. Still, I have sexually charged dreams in which my wife plays no role. I refuse to punish myself for them, or even dwell upon them. My advice would be to treat yours the same way.

• Like Like x 2