1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

help with 3G router?

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Strange Famous, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Ok, so I am trying to install a 3G router to act as a failover when the ADSL drops out at one of my companies stores. We dont really have a propper "IT Dept" hence its left to me to muddle my way through... and it isnt working!

I have a vodafone USB modem (K3770)... if I plug that into my laptop it connects fine using both 3G and GPRS. The connection will stay up 30 mins (as long as I left it checking)

But to make it work at the store, I have to plug it into a 3G router. I bought a TP Link TL-MR3220.

When I plug the USB modem into the TP Link router, it just doesnt connect properly. The connection occassionaly flashes on for 20 secs, then drops again. I have updated the firmware to the latest version (which TP Link's helpdesk told me to do)

I have double checked the router config with the guy who manufactured the till and he said it looked ok. The two devices are supposed to be compatible (I think, but I dont know how to tell for sure) and I searched google and couldnt find any thing about the two things not working together.

Obviously I appreciate somebody cant just answer without having the kit in front of then... but is there anything obvious I am missing or need to check???

2. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

Since there hasn't been any replies yet I have concluded that my suggestions can't be worse than that ;).
    Could it be that the router isn't providing enough juice for the USB modem ? The one I have came with a usb cord to draw power from 2 usb ports, if you have a usb charger you might want to try that?
    The only thing I noticed in manual is "2. Only when the WAN connection is Dynamic IP, Static IP or PPPoE can the Router support the switch between 3G/4G mode and WAN mode."
    Can you get the router to work in 3G mode only ?

Best of luck