1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Helpful hint for those that like to attend sporting events, plays, shows, or any live performances.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I usually attend quite a few sporting events each year, and a handful of concerts or other live performances. Fortunately for me, many of them are to entertain clients, so I don't have to foot the bill personally. Because they are to entertain customers, I usually pay extra through StubHub to get good seats. Thus, I've become spoiled. :p Now, even when I'm footing the bill for an event because I want to go personally, I've taken to using StubHub if I can't get good tickets through Ticketmaster, the venue, or connections with friends. Sometimes that can get pretty expensive, and often it's for things that I decide I want to go to on a whim. However, I've struck upon a strategy that is perfect for this, especially when it's an event that I'm kind of "wow, I'd like to go to that if I had tickets" but not DEAD SET on attending.

Let's say you are in that situation, and are close enough to the venue that excessive travel isn't required. Check StubHub 6-8 hours before the event. Most tickets can be electronically delivered, so you didn't need to buy ahead of time if you have a printer, you can print them at home. I've watched several events over the last couple of weeks. Ticket prices often drop to 1/3 of what people were asking a week prior once it gets to the morning of an event and they realize they aren't going to get anything for them. I was considering going to the Sox game tonight, and I wanted really good seats if I did go. A couple days ago seats 5-8 rows behind home plate were $200+. This morning the same seats were $65. :cool: I decided to not go anyway for other reasons, but that would've definitely been in my price range, over $200 per seat would've definitely been out of it.

Now we are considering a concert for next week and I'm watching StubHub as the tickets are dropping day by day. I'm thinking I won't decide until Fri night or Sat AM, but if we do get them, it'll be for a steal. :D

Maybe I'm the only one that will benefit from this tidbit of knowledge, and I took way too long of a post to describe it, but I thought I'd throw it out there regardless. :p

2. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I've never heard of stub hub -- just checked it out and it looks pretty cool.

I foresee lots of cheap shows in my future.

3. some good info borla. Thanks.

It seems strange that it works in the opposite way to airfare tickets. if airlines did it this way, they wouldnt be taking off with a plane half full.

4. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

This strategy works well with Priceline for hotels too.
    Obviously you have to have flexible travel plans, just like with the concert or sporting event.

5. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

Interesting about Priceline - I just tried that for hotels here just to see what the price difference would be and at least for Chicago it was not cheaper by anymeans.

Borla - Thanks for the good tip! I am sure this all goes without saying that it only works for non -sold out events.

6. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Actually, an event being sold out doesn't negate this technique since Stubhub sellers are just reselling tickets that are already sold. Obviously, the demand is greater for sold out shows or they wouldn't have sold out, but the individuals reselling on Stubhub are still trying to turn their tickets over before it is too late regardless. :)