1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

hm, clingy...? Maybe.

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by RestlessinPA, Aug 30, 2011.

1. RestlessinPA

RestlessinPA Vertical

So the boyfriend called me clingy. He's been telling me that for the past two years now since we've been dating and I've been trying not to take it to heart. Only it still hurts to hear. Long distance relationships are GOING to make a girl clingy. I thought I was changing. I've been giving him his space, I haven't been constantly asking him what he's doing or where he's going, and I wait for him to call me when he wants to. I never call him unless I absolutely have to or we haven't talked in awhile. The last time we talked today was at noon. He had classes around 4 or something, and then around 8 (hours after we still haven't talked) I called him.

Now lemme tell ya, my boyfriend IS a sweetheart to me. He's helped me out of so much shit and he really does care about me. I know it. But i don't think he realizes HOW bruised and emotional/sensitive I am about things.

Anyway, he asked why I called and I said because I missed him. But he said I was being clingy. Then he said his phone was dying and he needed to finish up some homework so he'd call me later.
    GUYS, is that really being clingy? What's clingy to you? Just so I know what else I can do to prevent being told I'm needy, clingy, attached, or addicted. Thanks. :)

2. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

Just back off a bit. Pretty soon he'll wonder why you haven't called him.

I do the same w/ my gf, I sometimes wonder where she is at 11:30pm and I haven't talked to her for 8 hours. Personally, I don't think it's clingy, but maybe that's just me.

3. RestlessinPA

RestlessinPA Vertical

One thing he does is call me every morning to say good morning. We'll talk and if he needs to go, I'll let him. And like I said, I won't call him like ever. I'll let him call me. Then he goes and bitches "what didn't you miss me?" haha. I know he's joking, but still. Make up your mind. I'm either clingy or a bitch for not BEING clingy. Haha. I always overthink things.

4. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

KirStang, you're clingy. If it's 11:30 on a Tuesday, she's probably in bed.

JESUS.

Restless,

I'd say one call a day unless you've got something super important going on is completely satisfactory if that has been your experience with his "good morning" calls. I mean, touching base once every 24 hours is more than some married people living in the same house get to talk.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I think your good morning call is rather sweet. He may well have been not at his best for conversation if say he is writing notes for an essay, or working in group. On occassion, during your morning call, you could ask 'fancy continuing this chat tonight?' Thats an offer, he may say no, but if he does say yes, thats like an invite so I dont think that comes under clingy - but chaps do often have an odd way of looking at things. Everything works out the way it is supposed to in the end.

6. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

Yea except she wasn't in bed. She was at dance practice. Nice.

7. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Wait, are you dating 19 year old bouncy-bounces again? You dirty dog.

8. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

"On occasion, during your morning call, you could ask 'fancy continuing this chat tonight?' Thats an offer, he may say no, but if he does say yes, thats like an invite so I don't think that comes under clingy"
    BooYaka! + finger snap /me high-fives chinese crested.

@Restless - that cuts through all the uncertainty. Interesting conversations could come of it, but they would be on the table and clear rather than hazy.

While we're talking about making 'dates' for phone calls, there are a whole range of moods and activities which are available for evening phone-calls which are less so in the morning, and vice versa, therefore flexibility of appointment could be a good thing. Also, Skype audio gives superior sound quality and is hands-free. Various friends and I keep audio open while we get on with our respective work and exchange comments from time to time.

9. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Clingy is relative. The desired amount of space is an individual matter. In a relationship, couples need to find a good average or norm, or some other arrangement that is satisfactory for both people.

I had a severely clingy girlfriend once. She needed to know where I was, were I was going, what I was doing, and who I was with. All the time. It didn't matter if we were in different locations or in the same room. If I got up to go to the next room, she would ask, "Where are you going?" Often, my response was simply, "The bathroom."

That's severe. You need to find out his own tilt. How much space does he want? Do you think he's frustrated in having to talk when he isn't in the mood to talk? What do you chat about when you talk? Is that the problem?

It's one thing to call up each night to say, "Hey, how was your day? Anything interesting? I miss you," etc. It's another thing to try to engage him and pass that off as "missing him."

I'm a private introverted type myself. I don't like talking a lot about myself (though forums and anonymity make it easier). I will tell you things I wish to tell you and little more. Prying only wrests things from me, and I resent that and it's exhausting and frustrating. If he too is an introverted type and you're not, read this: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/03/caring-for-your-introvert/2696/

I'm open to any questions. :)

10. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

My wife and I lived 4 hours apart for a year while we were engaged.
    I am not a telephoney kind of guy.
    We spoke every few days, typically 2-3 times a week.
    It was plenty for me and she was secure enough to understand that.
    Happily married for 14 years now.

11. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

Long distance may be difficult but I think you and you're boyfriend are going about it right. I think calling in the morning was quite "cute." Absence makes the heart grow fonder, asking to "talk to you later?" in the morning might allow you to call him later without the clinginess.... Whether you are, or you aren't, to me, it doesn't matter, you both seem rather committed to each other and you love each other, and if there's a like cling now and then, just shows that you want to be around him. I don't necessarily think its a negative thing, in your case, love is love, just enjoy it, and each other.