1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Holiday Prep: How soon is too soon?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by GeneticShift, Oct 17, 2013.

?

Have you already seen Christmas products for sale?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    93.8%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

So I work at the good old Barnes and Noble. Pretty standard retail junk. Whatever.

Two weeks ago, we started putting out Christmas products.

I was at Kohl's 5 weeks ago, and they already had their Christmas trees and ornaments out and on sale.

Call me old fashioned, but I don't like to think about Christmas until after Thanksgiving. I can understand having Hanukkah decorations out early, due to the fact that it keeps getting earlier (I think it actually falls on Thanksgiving this year), but Christmas in September seems a little ridiculous.

I understand that the nature of retail is to sell, and having product out sooner can help drive that, but there has to be a limit, right?

As I said, I don't like to think about Christmas until after Thanksgiving. I don't like to think about Thanksgiving until after Halloween. I typically don't want to see Easter products until a month before, ish.

How early do you think is too early for Christmas/Halloween/Thanksgiving/Easter, whatever holiday you notice things being sold for?

• Like Like x 2
  2. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Yes, Christmas decor is everywhere.
    I have a number of friends and family members who have already started asking about Christmas gifts for littlegirly.
    We haven't even figured out what the heck we want to do for Christmas, including if we really want to celebrate it in any traditional sense. At the moment we're just saying "no gifts."

3. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Agreed. Give Halloween some credit for itself, keep the Thanksgiving shit and certainly the Christmas shit off the shelves until at least November 1. Keep the Christmas shit off the shelves and don't start playing Christmas carols on the radio until after Thanksgiving. Hey you kids, get off my lawn! Etc.

• Like Like x 3
  4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, so I start thinking about it as soon as Martha Stewart starts publishing recipes. Halloween...meh. Probably my least favorite. That might contribute to my desire to skip to Thanksgiving.

However, I'm trying to come up with a fox costume this year for school. I do play along with it, even if I don't really like it.

5. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

When I was a child, Christmas was kept tucked away all year until KAPOW! the evening of Thanksgiving when the holiday magic was made evident by the first inkling of Christmas-themed tv commercials.

And it ought to have stayed that way. Money is shitty at handling magic.

• Like Like x 4
  6. GeneticShift

That's how it was when I was growing up too. My mom loves decorating the house, and there are plenty of Thanksgiving decorations that stay up until December 1st. Once that day comes, it's like the Thanksgiving ones go down and the Christmas ones go up overnight. It's amazing, and I think that's what makes me like the holiday season so much. No need to rush.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I think we all know the rea$on$ why it $eem$ to keep getting earlier and earlier with each pa$$ing year.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Speaking of holidays...
    Walmart has this thing where they start playing bloody Christmas the first of November. Unfortunately the appeal of a mostly quiet night shift is completely destroyed when you can "enjoy" the same awful songs on endless loop. My personal theory is that it is an attempt to drive people to quit or commit mass homicide with the speakers and possibly a customer or two.
    I enjoy hearing good holiday music in June or July but my tolerance for it in November and especially December is low at best and non-existent for the "Justin Bieber sings the songs of Christmas" kind of garbage. Just made that one up but it would would not surprise if it actually exists in some form.

• Like Like x 2
  9. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I get LL Bean catalogs with Christmas items in September and just shake my head.
    I want the Sears Wishbook back, but I don't want it showing up before Thanksgiving!

• Like Like x 3
  10. I echo all of the sentiments in this thread.

There's actually an isle of Christmas stuff that is right next to the isles of Halloween candy at Walmart. It's insane.

I'm honestly waiting for the day where Christmas stuff starts to get put out the day after the 4th of July.

11. GeneticShift

I totally get that it's for money. But how many people are actually buying this shit so early? It's so early and expensive. I don't see the point.

12. snowy

Costco is really the only place I've seen Christmas stuff so far, but that's because it's Costco. They put out a tiny bit of Christmas stuff starting in September, and it grows and grows until the actual holiday. I don't mind that tack. I love their ginormous ribbon packs regardless of the season.

13. GeneticShift

Costco ribbon packs rule the world

• Like Like x 1
  14. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I pick up xmas stuff at thrift stores and garage sales all year long. Not as much as I used to, though, because I have quite a lot of it. The only stuff I buy new every year are things like gift wrap and bags of candy.

15. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I shop quite a bit before Christmas ( well, I used to ), but I don't want to see Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving. It kind of dampens the whole experience to have it around for half a year.

16. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Thanksgiving has come and gone in Canada so that's not a metric. Usually I'll put up the tree at the beginning of December, but I generally start anticipating displays at the beginning of November. I tend to think a month or so ahead of time is pretty standard.

Of course, I'd just as soon skip all the fuss, but that doesn't seem to be a majority opinion.

17. snowy

You and my husband both. He doesn't understand. He just goes along with it.

18. Misguided

Misguided Vertical

I kind of like the idea of christmas on the 26th of December through Jan 1st. That way you can buy all the returns you want. We have people on our street with christmas lights already. That should be a hanging offense!
    And Halloween rocks!

19. snowy

Technically, according to the ecclesiastical calendar, Christmas goes until January 6th--Three Kings Day, Twelfth Night, or Epiphany.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I got rid of the useless small fake Christmas tree earlier this year. It sat in a closet for three years I think taking up space getting no use.