1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Homeland

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by cynthetiq, Oct 10, 2011.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Homeland

[​IMG]

You can watch S01E01 for free on the SHO site here.

It's been pretty interesting so far. Mandy Patankin has some very interesting background and Claire Danes seems to evolve her abilities a bit more.

I like the way it is unfolding it's a bit different that what I was going to expect. The whole idea of a turned soldier returning is a very different and compelling storyline.

I want to check out the original it is based from, Hatufim

2. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

I was hooked after the pilot episode. Definitely very interesting to see how the plot unfolds, the details of the soldier's history, and nuances of his "new" personality and the struggles between his former self and the person he was manipulated into becoming.

I'm also a big fan of Mandy Patinkin from his role in Dead Like Me (not to mention, Inigo Montoya), so I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes if his character and the extent to which his relationship with Danes become strained based on her "theories" and medical history.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

It will probably be some time before they air this here (if ever, given the subject matter). I like Damien Lewis and am glad to see he's been given another role.

• Like Like x 2
  4. cynthetiq

His role on S1 of Criminal Minds is very good too. I liked Dead Like Me as well mostly because of him.

5. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Not that I would have known the difference but I guess there's Damian Lewis (this guy) and Damien Lewis (another guy). I like this guy a lot and I'd not ever seen him in anything previously maybe because he's a Brit and is getting a big break here now?
    I've loved Claire Danes since My So-Called Life. I like that she seems quite comfortable in her own skin (as an actress, not this character) a quality that she had going back to age 14 in her TV-series debut.
    Homeland is being hailed as the best new drama this fall and though I can't do a lot of comparing I'm engrossed in what I've seen (through episode 3). There's one scene in particular that blew my mind. It's utterly non-violent but I did not see that coming.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

I wasn't overly impressed with the first show but the second one made me look forward to the next.

7. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Damian Lewis was in a series called "Life" a couple of years ago.
    In my opinion, it was a very good series, so of course it was cancelled.

Anyway, it's available on discs at Netflix (and I imagine other places) and I think there are 32 episodes in all.
    It was a different kind of police show than the norm.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Life/70157360?trkid=2361637

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

To help avoid any needless wanderings, (and because I really do like Lewis as a lead actor) he was also involved and prominently-cast in HBO's war docu-drama, Band of Brothers.

I've said it multiple times before, (mostly to myself) but I initially didn't think this show would be worth my time.
    I mainly based it on the title, had no idea who the cast involved were, and I might have been turned off by some of the gratuitious fanservice presented in the first few episodes, but after watching it up until now, I am hooked to this series until its season finale.

I haven't got much of an opinion formed over how the story in the series was presented, or how it is unfolding currently, with each coming new episode.
    The only thing that irks me is how quickly Mathison's character (and we, as the peering audience) are hip to Brody as the turned American soldier.

I like the slow reveal in my dramas, more than anything, as it keeps me compelled to guess what could be next.
    But with us already knowing that Sgt. Brody's character has some underlying agenda, (and it comes to us more forcefully with each subsequent flashback of his imprisonment) and Mathison obsessively trying to gather enough evidence to prove this as fact, I'm just left with seeing how they do it, and getting my jollies from the twisted family dynamics that embroil the "re-established" Brody family (that in itself is pretty captivating, but I guess the 'catching-the thief-before-he-plunders' angle to Brody's character adds in another element to look forward to seeing unravel).

9. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I still need to watch episode 4 but I remained unconvinced that things have been laid out and set in stone that Brody is turned vs. Brody is suffering from massive PTSD vs. Carrie is mentally ill and so forth. I think there will be a see-saw situation where yes, we are lead to believe beyond a doubt he is turned--then the tables turn.

10. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

I'm a huge fan of both Damian Lewis and Claire Daines. We're recording the episodes on TiVo and will likely watch them in marathon fashion once the series is over. I'll steer clear of this thread in case any spoilers slip into the discussion by accident.

11. cynthetiq

This last episode was a real turning point in the development I the story and characters. What a twist.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Yep. I don't think it's an exaggeration to call it a 'game-changer.' And then a set-up for next episode with possibly yet another that is just as big. My TV-watching partner quit on this show, I think because the story wasn't unraveling fast enough for him. With a story like this a certain degree of patience and I'll say it, sophistication is required to fully enjoy it.
    Some of us seem to want the equivalent of 'fast-food' TV but like many things in life, taking it slowly can result in a big payoff.

13. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

I think I may have to start watching this one - lots of good feedback.

14. Life was awesome. I was bummed when it was cancelled. I don't often find TV shows that I enjoy enough to actually stay current with them. Life was one of those few.

I started watching Homeland because I love Damian Lewis (which is why I watched Life). Hubby wasn't enthusiastic but he humored me. I think we've seen the first three episodes (maybe only two) and I like it, but I'm not sure hubby does. I may have to finish the series on my own.

15. cynthetiq

How do you change the game again after you have already changed the game? Holy M. Night Shalayman mindfuck.

[​IMG]

16. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

That's exactly what I'm doing. Homeland has gotten so good now! I told my spouse jokingly he 'can't' watch it now. I'm going now to watch Sunday's episode. The last two have been really entertaining.

17. buyn New Member

indeed, I really enjoy watching it

18. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Sunday's eppy did not disappoint. Homeland is a show that took about half the season to build a head of stream but it is really cooking now.

19. cynthetiq

Cooking? It done boiled over and then when you fixed the pan and lowered the heat it boiled over again!

• Like Like x 1
  20. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Yep - I think this is the favourite of the shows I'm watching atm. It reminds me of british spy dramas - there is a (I think made for TV) movie called Page 8 that I watched recently - it is similar in that there aren't explosions and car chasers - lots of character development. You have to think to watch it.

http://www.amazon.com/Page-Eight/dp/B005R9U1NK