1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Horseradish?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Street Pattern, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

To my palate they aren't even comparable. Horseradish and Sriracha are as different as night and day.

2. redux

redux Very Tilted

I agree that they are different as night and day.

But try sriracha butter. The creaminess of the butter infused with the heat of the sriracha, with the hint of vinegar also found in prepared horseradish.

It still might not work for you, but, when I make a batch, it is my go to spread on burgers, roast beef sandwich, crab cake and topping on steak, baked potato....

sriracha butter recipe

It definitely has to sit in the fridge for at least a week.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Phi Eyed

Phi Eyed Getting Tilted

I go to Arby's just so I can catch a Horseradish head rush from that magic sauce. I covet it. I love to spike my shrimp cocktail sauce w it so that it makes me cry! My uncle makes his own with beet juice every xmas. I just received a fresh batch that I can slather on everything. It's really good in meatloaf.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I just use jar horseradish, so far.
    If I make fried mushrooms, I like to make a dip of mayo, horseradish, sour cream and a few spices.
    I put it straight out of the jar on roast beef sandwiches.

Don't think I use it in anything else, unless it's a recipe I come across.

5. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Earlier, I said to my wife, "Horseradish is good for you! Like garlic!"

I just made that up, but it turns out I was right.

It's also, fat-free, low in calories, and high in fiber, though my wife scoffed that you wouldn't be able to eat enough of it to have any dietary significance.

We had a lot of giggles reading Horseradish.org, the web site of the Horseradish Information Council.

They also have a Facebook page: Horseradish... the Secret Ingredient, which has only 389 "likes" so far.

Oh! And here's the big news: July is National Horseradish Month!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I am fan.

Wasabi, Mustard, and Horseradish are all part of the same family (Cabbage too, if I recall correctly). While I love the heat from chilies (capsaicin), I am much happier with the heat of hot mustard, horseradish and wasabi.

I am pretty sure that most wasabi found in Sushi restaurants is not wasabi, but is just green coloured horseradish.

And... Like @snowy, I eat it.

• Like Like x 3
  7. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Totally agree. For me it has to do with the duration of the heat. Horseradish and wasabi are very clean on my palate... you get that blast of heat and then it's gone and you can taste other things. I find hot chiles can leave a lingering burn that diminishes other tastes for too long.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I can't stand horseradish. I think that's why I haven't liked wasabi with my sushi for years. It's incredibly bitter to my palate. Now real wasabi... Holy crap, I could eat that for days. This snap-pop of the senses without the bitter. I do love mustard and cabbage, though. Something about the horseradish specifically.

9. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I like the horseradish that is mixed with beets, kind of sweet and spicy.
    It's great on gefilte fish and so many other things.
    Just grating a bit of fresh horseradish on meat is also really good.

I'm weird in that I like that part of the Seder.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

I'm enjoying horseradish hummus and pita chips this morning.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I enjoyed a nice creamy horseradish sauce with prime rib last Sunday at a brunch buffet.

• Like Like x 1