1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics House Republicans Cut SNAP

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by snowy, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Indigo Kid

Indigo Kid Getting Tilted

Me report it? No way. I need my job.
    I am or was a middle class professional with a B.A. living on 24 K a year in NE Ohio and I have a disabled husband who is still too young for retirement and too injured to work. We have no medical insurance and no kids. We're in that scary gap. Any questions??

Maybe I should learn that scamming game.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I think a much greater disincentive to work is paltry minimum wages.

What is a minimum wage in the U.S.? Like $7.25? In Ontario, it's $10.25, which would be about USD 9.95.

On an eight-hour shift, $7.25 vs. $9.95 per hour is a difference of $21.60 before taxes. Assuming full-time hours, that's a difference of $108 per week. That's your groceries right there.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

It's almost like the current economic climate is forcing you to act in morally and ethically questionable ways. Huh.

4. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

The theme of his commentary is that extreme inequality of outcomes is destructive and that the argument for equal opportunity has a diminished value as a result. Inequality of outcomes are not inherently destructive and the argument for equal opportunity stands. To suggest that inequality of outcomes is destructive, by correlating the obvious concept that, of course there is going to be a top 1% that most can never possibly achieve, is to make a class warefare argument. this is obvious to me. To illustrate, not using a sports analogy but a musical one - very few singers can deliver a maestro opera performance but certainly no reasonable person would conclude that the extreme inequality of outcomes in this arena is destructive. and there is no reason to dislike a maestro simply because he has an ability/talent that you may not have - even-though you might have an equal opportunity to try to develop your talent.

All I am getting from you is repeated statements basically saying I am wrong without giving any support for the claim.
    --- merged: Sep 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM ---
    Can you read what I write? There are many disincentives in the system for work. Our system in some instances makes honest people do dishonest things. It is out there. Try talking honestly to some poor people and try to understand what it means to be in poverty and having to make hard choices. If free school lunch is available at $x of income and not available at $y level of income - people on the margin will do a few things within their power to show $x income.

what don't you understand about that?

I would suggest we not put people through this! I would suggest we remove the fraud argument. I suggest if we are going to do free school lunches, we simply do free school lunches. Period. If people need financial help with food, clothing, shelter, transportation, heat, etc., give them cash unconditional! And in addition, remove hard, arbitrary cut-offs - at worst do it gradually.
    --- merged: Sep 24, 2013 at 6:10 PM ---
    I would try and make sure people know that they do not have to stay at minimum wage. I would teach and encourage them to develop market skills of increasing value. My first job was at a McDonald's at minimum wage, it did not take long to get a raise. I know I have shared this before but consistent with the words of MLK, when I was cleaning the lobby and bathroom, I made sure I did a meticulous job. My efforts were recognized.

I would encourage people to understand their market value. If you can't get a raise at McDonald's apply for jobs at competing establishments. If you can cook hamburger, learn to cook steak!

Your message is the wrong message.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2013
  5. Baraka_Guru

This isn't exactly what Krugman is doing though. He is mostly pointing out how the recovery has been substantially to the advantage of the 1%, whereas those in the middle class and below are still struggling and aren't making any significant (re)gains (relative to their own situation). What's likely happening is that the 1% is earning wealth upon wealth (i.e., the markets). Much of the 99% doesn't have the same leverage as the 1% to do this, and many of them have none at all.

This does as Krugman says: It increases the concentration of wealth at the top. Like he said, it's a rich man's recovery. Most of what he's saying is objective. I don't know where you're getting his cries of class warfare. Could you point me to it?

I suspect you're presuming too much. You're reading into something that isn't there.

This further mischaracterizes what Krugman is saying. If you wanted to make it coalesce, you'll have to talk about something other than singers, because that limits the people who are affected by the economy to one uniform group: singers. The difference between the 1% and the 99% isn't simply a difference of a single talent (singing). We're talking about an entire economy; reducing it to something that simplistic can't work.

Let's talk about the economy instead.

You do realize that until recently you had made inadequate statements.
    --- merged: Sep 24, 2013 at 6:27 PM ---
    This is a different issue. I'm talking about the value of the minimum wage, not part-time job opportunities and the opportunities for growth.

I'm not sure if you're aware that many people get stuck in part-time jobs, making minimum wage and close to it despite how good they are at their jobs. It's much worse now for that than it was back in your day. So's the wage rate. I don't presume to know when it was you started working at McDonald's, but back in 1980, the minimum wage was $3.10. In today's dollars, that would be more than $8.50. That basically means that today's minimum wages has eroded by $1.25 an hour. In an eight-hour shift, that's a difference of $10. In a full-time workweek (a blessing to many earning minimum wage, or close to it), it's a difference of $50. When you're damned lucky to make $300 to $400 in a week (around full-time hours at or just above minimum wage), a $50 difference per week is substantial. It's over 10% of your earnings. That's probably about how much has been eroded from low-wage earners since the '80s.

And how much above the minimum wage could you expect one to earn in a job starting at minimum wage? I've received $0.10/hour raises and even $0.50/hour raises. That takes months, if not over a year. I've even worked a job where they told me outright in the interview that none of their workers get raises above the minimum wage—ever.

Low-wage earners in the U.S., coupled with less job and work-hour security, have to deal with an uphill battle just to get as good as it was in 1980—and how good was that, really?

I hope you get that.

If you can't get a raise at McDonald's, what are you odds of getting a raise somewhere else? What are the risks of leaving a place like McDonald's for something else? What if losing your job means going back on welfare?

You didn't really address my message. Would you care to now? Let me help you out: If someone is on welfare (or to keep it relevant: on SNAP), do you think they'd feel better risking their benefits by going to a part-time job earning $7.25 an hour or $9.95 an hour? Do you think they'd have an easier time with the 1980 value of $8.50 an hour vs. $7.25 of today?

We're talking about minimum wage values and disincentives to work while receiving a government benefit. What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  6. redux

redux Very Tilted

Ace. You seem unwilling to separate SNAP from other social safety net programs as others have pointed out. Perhaps because your argument about waste/fraud/disincentives fail the test of reason.

But I will play along with your proposal and what you are proposing sounds like the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC), both of which have little Republican support. In fact, the Republican tax reform proposal eliminates both and would keep more working families in poverty.

7. Aceventura

I agree with this point.

I agree. I would also say that quantitative easing has benefited holders of capital and not working people.

True regarding concentration of wealth. However, the wealthy are not responsible for QE. The wealthy are not responsible for government policy resulting in a system trending towards more part-time work. However, he does not point to the root cause of wage and employment stagnation. He make a fallacious argument casually connecting one segment of the population doing well with another that is not. I consider this a form of class warfare.

Perhaps. I read his commentaries regularly and I may be conflating things he has written - but he is pretty consistent.

And here is where we often run into our problems with economic issues. I believe in order to understand the big economic picture one has to drill down and understand individual behaviors. How do people make economic decisions on a micro-level? Singers are a part of our macro-economy. The millions and millions of what you consider anecdotes are what make up our economy. So, to me it is relevant. Virtually every measurable variable or characteristic is subject to a bell curve distribution. I accept this as a premise. Krugman, and you, I would argue, do not.
    --- merged: Sep 24, 2013 at 8:41 PM ---
    Right. I made my initial post saying our system is in need of major reform. That is my position. I would not segregate the needs for food from other needs of the poor. I thought I explained why. Poor people have shifting priorities that traditional welfare do not respond to and as a result one consequence of this is exploitation. Poor people often have no alternative to "payday" type loan services - even given recent trends to reduce exploitation - people may still pay exessive annualized rates. This could be avoided if poor people have more flexibility and control.

8. Baraka_Guru

He linked directly to this in his article: The Class of 2013: Young graduates still face dim job prospects | Economic Policy Institute

Where? I don't see him doing much beyond comparing and contrasting. He doesn't say they're connected. On the contrary, he points out how different they are. Pointing out the obvious isn't class warfare. Class warfare is something else.

Are you suggesting that wealth and income disparity isn't a problem?

Would you say the middle class is doing fine?

Would you say workers have ample bargaining power?

Krugman isn't engaging in class warfare. He's casually pointing it out. I don't think he goes far enough. At least not in this piece.

It would be akin to assuming that all job categories are equal among each wealth category. That would be a gross misrepresentation of the economy.

On what basis? You have virtually nothing to base that on. You're making a wild guess, obviously.

9. redux

redux Very Tilted

I'm having a hard time getting past the myth of dependency and disincentive...or Reagan's "welfare queens" or, more recently, Paul Ryan's "the safety net is a hammock that lulls able-bodied people to lives of dependency and complacency, that drains them of their will and their incentive to make the most of their lives."

10. Aceventura

The prospects of the 2013 class has nothing to do with the 1%. What is the connection? Why was it made? I think he was just taking a jab at the 1%. They are doing well and you are not - what is the point of that? I think it is class warfare.

I can sing, but I am not qualified to sing at the Metropolitan Opera House. So, what? Comparing and contrasting my singing ability with those singing at the Met. is pointless, and obvious. It has nothing to do with me or the people who sing at the Met. If the interest is in helping me to be a better singer, to maximize my singing potential one would need to focus on those issues. Why create envy if it is not a form of class warfare?

It is not a problem. If you think it is a problem, tell me what makes it a problem? The disparity in singing talent is not a problem either. The disparity in writing talent is not a problem. The disparity in (fill-in the blank characteristic) is not a problem! Please clarify what you and Krugman are trying to say?

No. I have stated that!

Again, I repeat what I have written in the past. In some circumstances they do and in some circumstances they don't. I support workers having the right and I encourage workers to collectively bargain. I believe the power pendulum in this regard swings. I support government policy that is neutral. I think in many situations workers underestimate their bargaining power, possibly not knowing they have power at all, and in these circumstances they face exploitation in the market. I have written and I am concerned about the false sense of security workers think they get from the US government - if a worker is passive in the market, thinking the government will protect the worker, they play a fools game.
    --- merged: Sep 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM ---
    You argue with what you want to argue with, not what is presented here. On this issue, I think my view is more progressive than yours. I say give the poor cash with no conditions. Simplify the mess we have created. To one degree, we already have the Earned Income Tax Credit where some who file taxes not only pay zero tax but get a tax credit refund - cash. I would suggest we can come up with a system that is not conditional on a tax filing but on needs.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2013
  11. Baraka_Guru

I don't suppose you have studied economics in depth to realize the importance of examining an economy from all aspects, rather than zeroing in on one as a separate segment isolated from the rest. You can't do the latter and expect to be able to analyze problems to any degree of importance.

In his article, Krugman points to the fact (I use the word knowingly) that the 1% has recovered from the 2007 crisis nicely, while the rest of the economy has generally been flat or worse. Pointing this out isn't class warfare; it's comparing aspects of an economy. The American economy is ranked highly with other problematic economies that feature gross wealth disparity. This kind of disparity is what led us to the idea of the 1% as compared to the 99%. The concentration of wealth in the American 1% is, I think, unprecedented. Regardless, it's a very real feature of the American economy, and to leave it out of the picture when discussing economic health is to do a disservice, especially if one is a trained economist and writes for the general public like Krugman does.

If we were to leave the 1% out of the equation, we'd be leaving out a substantial amount of wealth of the American economy. Why would anyone do that except for ideological reasons?

The value of Krugman's article is that he points out a problem. The wealth amassed to a small fraction of the population is doing fine, swimmingly so I'm sure for much 0f it. The wider population (the vast, vast majority—much of the 99%) is still struggling. Why does this matter? Well, that small fraction of the population has 37% of the country's wealth. In 2007, they had 35%. This means that despite the economic turmoil that most Americans face, the richest 1% of Americans still managed to gain 2% more of the country's wealth.

The rich continue to get richer. What's more: They're getting rich faster. Income disparity, therefore, is getting worse in a country where it is already among the worst in the world.

Krugman points out the problems here: There are political, systemic, and straightforward economic problems with this. He's not taking a jab at the 1%; he's making an observation. Again, that isn't class warfare. It's pointing it out. If the American economy is doing so poorly, why shouldn't we be looking at the segment of the population who has amassed the greatest proportion of the country's wealth since the Roaring Twenties despite the greatest economic disaster since the Great Depression.

If you don't think there is a problem, you probably don't know what's really going on.

You lost me. Why are you talking about opera singers again? It makes no sense. Could you stick to the topic please?

You're falsely making a direct correlation between talent and wealth. Does this, in turn, extend to a direct correlation between hard work and wealth? I don't think you understand this and the implications and deeper problems rooted in great wealth disparity.

Do you believe this is the case because the middle class is broadly untalented? (I'm just trying to understand your position.)

At the same time, I don't think government policy is neutral. It clearly favours industry and commerce over workers. Much of that has to do with systemic issues as well as economic issues related to "power is money; money is power." This is some of the stuff that Krugman eludes to but doesn't go into detail. Again, he's pointing out class warfare but not very overtly.

Those in power and those with wealth engage in class warfare and probably won't admit to it (or are ignorant of it). Even you seem guilty of it by implying (from what I can tell anyway; I'm not entirely clear) that the difference in wealth in America is simply the result of a difference in talent. This is false. (And it sounds like Ayn Rand, which gives me the heebie-jeebies.)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  12. Aceventura

We are not discussing all aspects of the economy, we are discussing wealth disparity and stagnant wealth growth in the non-wealthy segments of the economy.

In the context of what is being discussed, there is far too much noise in the discussion. I will simplify it.

If the cost of capital is reduced (QE) and the cost of labor is increased (Obamacare and other regulations) what is the result?

Krugman, you, won't address this simple question in the context of wealth disparity and stagnant wealth growth for the non-wealthy. I do not need a Phd. to give an answer. The value of capital goes up and those who own capital (the wealthy) benefit. The value of labor goes down and those who provide labor in the market are hurt.

No. You discuss wealth in arbitrary concepts. I do not. For example if you say a person has a $1 billion dollar portfolio of stock and call him rich, I would not. I would asses the real value of what the person actually owns. $1 billion in stock today can be $500,000 tomorrow. It could be $0. So, what does that really mean? Ownership of capital is different. And by capital I define it as the means of production. The market for capital and the market for labor inter-relate to the degree that capital can be used in place of labor or labor in place of capital - otherwise the markets are separate. Owners of labor are often best served when they enter capital markets and transition into ownership of capital.

And why is this a problem?

Again, there is a lot of noise in this discussion.

What is wealth to you? To me it is nothing, other than a means to keep score. What is meaningful to me is my living standard, my happiness.

Is having 10 automobiles 10 times better than having one? No.
    Is having 5 houses, 5 times better than having one? No.
    Is having 10 times more than what you want or need, 10 times better. No

Some things I would not trade for $1 million or more:

Summers with my grandmother in Arkansas, she lived in a three room house with a tin roof (not 3 bedrooms, 3 rooms total). I could not careless what rich people had.

Four years at college. Often I couldn't come up with change to buy pizza. I could not careless what rich people had.

1st year of marriage to my wife, perhaps, I would trade years 12 - 15, but not the rest (don't tell her that please) - but again $1 million or more would not have made me happier.

I would even say today, I know who I am and I am comfortable with who I am, I doubt if I had $100 billion in assets that my lifestyle would be much different than it is now - so why do I care about how wealthy others are? why do you care?

13. Baraka_Guru

So the problem with the non-problem is all Obama's fault.

Really?

The 1% aren't rich per se. They're just rich on paper.

Really?

You read Krugman's article, didn't you?

Maybe it's all the singers.

No, it's you. (Read on.)

So the wealth of the 1% is simply stuff that people don't need anyway, so it's meaningless and should be removed from the equation.

Really?

Um, because maybe the middle class is struggling while million- and billionaires are laughing all the way to the bank.

Wealth isn't created in a vacuum; its generation depends on labour. It just so happens that the labour is getting the shit end of the stick. It would be one thing if the cost of living weren't prohibitive in relation to incomes. However, as it happens, there are many who depend on such programs as SNAP from time to time. This is in large part due to the fact that the deck is stacked against the average American while the first-class citizens of the 1% have nothing to worry about but to protect their wealth from the "leeches" of the 99%.

It would be nice if we could have a rational discussion about this topic, but I think history is repeating itself. I start with facts and textbook material, and you write it off as falsehoods or you falsely attribute them as philosophical opinions of mine that you disagree with.

And that is why you have never (as far as I can tell) heard my opinion on anything. I can never get to it because we can never agree on a premise that would be widely accepted by rational people.

I can't, for example, talk about "what wealth is to me" because I'm not convinced we're speaking the same language.

To you, wealth is useless. That sounds like anarchy along the lines of "property is theft!" Do you believe that? What's more, you've posted many times about some loosey-goosey concept of "real wealth." Have your opinions changed or something?

14. redux

redux Very Tilted

Oh SNAP!

She's got the Tea Party down to a tee.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Aceventura

I would argue the trend in excessive regulation in areas of employment began in the 1920's. Combined with needed regulations there have been regulations, far too many, that have been harmful to labor. We discuss Obama because he ran on a "jobs" agenda. He does not appear to understand the underlying issues. If Krugman understands the issues in his commentaries he seems to obfuscate, i.e. useless comparisons to the 1%.

O.k., now you confuse me. Are you serious, or not with this? Ordinarily I would assume you are not and respond in a non-productive manner.

On a serious note, the S&P 500 is up about 18% this year, but there had been divergence between share price growth and earning growth. Perhaps we are making up for low valuations, maybe not. One thing we know about markets is that price does not always reflect value.

[​IMG]
    Very slight year-over-year earnings decline projected for the S&P 500 in Q1 2013 — FactSet Research Systems - If I can find a more current chart I will post it.

In addition, there are many examples of corporations having high valuations with no earning and no prospects for earning - they go out of business leaving investors with nothing but paper.
    Again, I do not know if your question is serious or not. My initial reaction is that you are simply being argumentative for the sake of argument at this point.

16. redux

redux Very Tilted

And more on SNAP....

$4.45/person/day to prevent food insecurity or:
    Fucking hypocritical bastards.

17. Baraka_Guru

It's difficult to pinpoint because the U.S. economy has shifted towards a services economy away from a manufacturing economy. But there is a lot more at play, and there is little that Obama has done to affect the problem because he's using the status quo for the most part as leverage. In other words, he's been too conservative.

I was beginning to wonder if you were serious.

You will probably find that earnings per share are still up despite the disparity between price gains and decreasing earnings.

First, how many of these corporations are we talking about as a percentage of the economy? Second, I was referring mostly to people, and I don't like buying into the idea that corporations are people. The 1% still earned their wealth. In an economy that's as bad as it is, where is it coming from? Why? What impact does it have? (Asking and answering these question isn't class war. It's reasonable.)

I'm not being argumentative. I'm asking questions for clarity on the one hand, and stating the obvious on the other.

You haven't seen argumentative yet.

18. redux

redux Very Tilted

Ace, dont go calling yourself a progressive quite yet. The devil is in the detail.

I assume you would exclude entitlement programs for the elderly (Social Security and Medicare) but would include programs for the poor such as Medicaid, SCHIP, along with TNAF, SNAP, WIC, school lunch program, rental assistance programs, etc... something to the tune of $400 billion/year (ballpark) including Medicaid...(or $150 billion if y0u exclude Medicaid and treat it separately like SS and Medicare) just to maintain the status quo for the working poor.

And at the same time, I would assume you would not eliminate the EITC and CTC or that would simply offset the above programs in the form of a tax increase on the poorest among us.

So how would you pay for your consolidated program that addresses all of the needs of the current programs?

The options are limited...either add to the deficit/debt or raise taxes on either the middle class and or the top five percent. I know what I would do (hint: the tax rate on the five percent is at the lowest it has been in our lifetime.)

You can get back to me on your funding mechanism for your "progressive" program.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Aceventura

During the financial crisis - the brink - orr whatever, I believe there were 2 or 3 companies that actually went out of business and were the root cause of the greatest financial crisis in the history of the....

But outside of that - what about the multitudes of investors who one day had equity in mortgage backed securities and the next had nothing? My memory is not short.

what about the millions who thought they had equity in their homes only to find....

I could give a list of examples, would there be a point to it - or have you simply concluded I am wrong and nothing else will matter?

Good. What is the argument for even looking at the 1% as a legitimate category for economic discussion (other than class warfare)? What do they have in common as a group (other than being a convenient group to attack for populist reasons)? I would argue more legitimate economic categories would be passive v non-passive holders of wealth. Those who own and control working capital asset v stores of value assets, etc. I have not read everything Krugman has written, but he has written much about the 1% relative to everyone else and has never made his economic argument on why it is important - other than class envy. Again, my needs have almost nothing to do with the 1%'s needs.

20. Baraka_Guru

Most of them are likely still struggling. The richer of them have probably regained their losses by now through other means, and may even be ahead in the game since 2007. That's kind of the point here.

My above point applies here as well.

Only if they're relevant. This is often an issue with you when it comes to your examples. Stick to investors; eschew (literal) prima donnas.

I weigh each point as they come. If you don't make sense or are wrong about something I will tell you, and I'll try to remain objective.

It points out potential problems in politics and the economic system when there is an otherwise unexplainable phenomenon in terms of economic activity. One explanation would be that America is a nation of two economies, but I think that in itself would be class warfare. To avoid that explanation one should examine the economy by including the economic activity among the 1%.

A counterquestion: Why exclude the 1% in this context?

They are American citizens operating (at least) in the same national economy. Do I need to go on? If so, please explain why.

What about those who hold little or no wealth? What about cash flow/income? What about debt? What about cost of living? etc.

The key thing is to acknowledge that the 1% doesn't operate in a vacuum.
    --- merged: Sep 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM ---
    EDIT: To add...

Krugman published a piece today that may answer some of your questions about the impact of wealth inequality. But before you accuse him of class warfare again, I'll remind you: He's the messenger.

Plutocrats Feeling Persecuted —PAUL KRUGMAN — New York Times

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2013