1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

How about no heart disease?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Craven Morehead, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Could you do it? Could you make the dietary changes necessary to virtually guarantee no heart disease as long as you live? Prevention is always a better choice than treatment in every health matter. So could you make these changes to prevent heart disease in your life?

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/25/becoming-heart-attack-proof/?hpt=hp_bn6

Wait until you get into your 50s and start seeing friends and acquaintances die from heart attacks, or see others try to turn around a lifetime of unhealthy living. They can make a difference but they can't repair the damage. They are the lucky ones, they actually get a chance to undo what they have done.

2. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I'd like to think that a higher number of people in my generation are learning lessons from the people of your generation.

But then I see the drive-through windows outside a college campus and realize that's probably just wishful thinking.

I wouldn't be able to eliminate the things that cause heart disease, no, but I'm sure its the same for a lot of things.

If you believe that "Type A" (largely abandoned) people have coronaries, then I'm gonna die regardless of my diet.

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I could do it. I've done it in the past (college and university, coincidentally). I think about doing it again. I have a close friend who does it. We recently saw that documentary based on the China study.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

4. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I could do it. I love fruits and vegetables and legumes.
    I would miss olive oil.
    And the occasional tenderloin steak.
    Otherwise, I could easily do without meat.

5. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

As long as there are 4 legged creatures that go "MOOO", that diet will never be a part of my life. NY Strip anyone?

6. Baraka_Guru

mixedmedia, I'm not sure about that bit on olive oil. As far as I know, it still improves heart health, and many other doctors would say so. There is a lot of evidence of decreased risk of heart disease with olive oil intake. Though maybe that just counteracts the effects of ingesting animal products. Maybe overall it does have a negative impact on a plant-based diet. I've been meaning to look into this, as it has always thrown me for a loop.

So are you saying that you don't have the willpower? That cattle would have to go extinct before you would go vegan? I think this is the common problem. People without the will to do even what they know is good for them. It isn't just in health matters.

7. Random McRandom

It's been proven time and time again that red meat in moderation is not harmful. Just like small amounts of alcohol (glass of wine a day etc) is actually beneficial. It's not willpower, it's about not jumping on something when it really doesn't have any backing other than a very small group of "experts". I'm no fan of Sanjay Gupta either..he's more of a media whore than a doctor. I used to eat red meat almost daily, however I've backed it down to twice a week except on rare occasions like July 4 etc. I do it because of training routines. People say taking a ton of supplements isn't healthy either or consuming 80-100g of protein a day isn't healthy either, but sorry, when I see the results I see and know how I feel.. well I say the experts aren't always right.

8. Baraka_Guru

Well you specifically aren't in the risk group then, are you?

I think this information is most beneficial to those who eat animal protein for practically every meal. Those who eat red meat almost every day. Those who consume over 200 g of protein a day.

Based on what you said, maybe you aren't like the average North American. But the truth is, most North Americans eat far too many animal products. Regardless of this study, there is a ton of evidence demonstrating that reducing your meat intake and increasing your plant intake will have an astounding effect on your health. For example, the traditional Mediterranean diet is often lauded as one of the most healthful. Meat is often fish, and the occasional poultry. Overall, much of the protein comes from vegetables, nuts, and legumes. Red meat is something like a once-a-month thing.

There are other studies too, such as the Okinawa one, where it's not just diet. It's lifestyle too. Heck, they eat pork. They simply eat lots of soy and vegetables too, and they don't overeat.

So despite this particular study and its recommendations, the problem is indeed animal food intake. Though you might have a balanced diet, there are far too many on this continent who don't, and the numbers reveal that.

9. Random McRandom

I won't argue with you on that. The long lines at fast food joints prove this point. However, I think a bigger problem than protein is the growth hormones and the steroids that are in so much of the meat we eat these days. I've switched over to all organic meat to try and push those away as much as possible. When I see boys getting acne at 9 and girls getting breasts at 10, this tells me that something isn't quite right. People are sick more than ever it seems and I've got to go with the junk that is in most food.

I'm not going to blast protein. I use 3 different types of protein supplementation that doesn't include my food protein intake. If I were to go to a bulking phase I would consume 150g-200g of protein *supplement* a day. During rigorous training it's recommended to intake 1g of protein per lb of body weight to adequately feed the muscles.

But anyway, back to the task at hand. I don't blast anyone for having a certain type of diet. I only blast them when they tell me I'm a murderer or that I'm going to die blah blah blah. People seem to *want* to get healthy but they get lost because of the multitude of options and scams and fads. Just go to your local big box grocery store and look around. LOW FAT! LOW CARB! 28G OF PROTEIN! etc etc etc. What do you choose? Most people are label illiterate and so they just pick up the thing with the most hype. They become frustrated because they don't understand how to supplement or to properly choose things and the cycle resets back to the fast food line.

We're not in disagreement..we're just on different roads I think ;)

10. Baraka_Guru

Then, of course, there are the high cancer rates, the widespread problem with fertility, etc. Who knows what the heck is going on in our food system?

Most likely. I tend to gravitate back to Michael Pollan and his bottom line with regard to diet: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." If you aren't familiar with his work, he delineates between food and "food-like substances," which is somewhat like what you've hinted at above. Generally, in looking at ingredients, if you don't know what the heck it is or if you wouldn't keep it in your cupboard, you probably shouldn't buy "food" that contains it. More broadly: eat food as grown.

11. If that lesson is how to live an unhealthy lifestyle, you're right.

My youngest son is a high school teacher and basketball coach. When I attend his games, I marvel at how 'large' the student body has gotten. Even cheerleaders! When I went to school, you could count the classmates on one hand that were overweight. I'm sure by now, most of my class is overweight but they didn't start their adulthood that way. These kids are. What is it going to take to turn them around?

12. Baraka_Guru

Awareness and discipline. So....good luck to them!

13. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Yeah, it's sad. We're well aware of how it is killing us and we're doing it anyway.

It isn't necessarily what we're doing (or eating), but how little (or much) of it.

Reminds me of that rant song by Lazy Boy:
    Horribly cliche, I know.

14. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

This. The problem is that there are so many conflicting studies out there. You could dedicate your entire life to following one, then it turns out to be wrong. Or you could get hit by a truck, have a genetic defect you don't know about, get cancer, etc. I instead try to be moderate, choose unprocessed foods over prepackaged foods, buy organic or naturally raised meat and dairy products, drink lots of water, and exercise.

15. Baraka_Guru

Even if your organic meat and dairy is produced on the pristine mountain meadows of rural Switzerland, it still makes sense to consume them in moderation.

The other thing to watch out for is seeing or thinking "organic" and automatically assume it's good for you with no strings attached.

16. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely. Which is why the very first thing I listed was moderation.

17. Baraka_Guru

Sure, but I wasn't speaking about you specifically. Sorry, short responses can seem that way.

I should have said, "Even if one's organic meat and dairy is produced...." :)

18. Random McRandom

Sure just like anything else, just because it has a label on it doesn't mean it's all it's cracked up to be. You still have to know what you're buying even if it's organic.

19. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

There is a difference between the philosophies of 'everything in moderation' and being 'heart attack proof' I think. The article is meant to reframe the well-known link between heart disease and a diet high in animal fats.

Baraka, it's been a while since i've read about the benefits of olive oil but I do believe it is assoc. with preventing atherosclerosis which is largely assoc. w. a high fat diet...so perhaps the benefits are negligible if you are not consuming animal products.

And 200 g of protein a day is putting an enormous burden on your kidneys, gs. No one should stay on a diet like that for an extended period of time.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

20. Random McRandom

MM. No it's not for an extended period of time..I don't do it. I take a max of 120g of supplemental protein on the heavy days and anywhere from 60-80 on regular days. There are some meat heads at the gym who consume protein higher than that but it's usually only on a month long bulk phase. (at least I hope so!)