1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

How about no heart disease?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Craven Morehead, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Well, I think the benefits of reducing animal food intake is progressively effective all the way down to zero. So even if you eat "in moderation," you can derive greater benefits still through elimination of these products entirely. Risk isn't an either/or thing, of course, so with moderation you have "reduced risk"—whereas elimination of animal products means further reduction in risk.

That would make sense. I simply understand that mono- and polyunsaturated fats are generally good for you compared to saturated and trans fats. Though I suppose much of this really is relative. I know there is a dietary role for fats, which is why many will recommend against low-fat diets.

The problem/challenge is multifaceted. You can say, well, high protein is a problem, but underlying that is the net effect of high animal protein intake crowding out the phytonutrients and antioxidants found in the plant matter you aren't eating instead.

2. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

I honestly think that there is no blanket solution. What works for one person may not work for another. For instance, someone who never steps foot in a gym will not need the things that someone who trains daily will. We've all seen the person who smoked for 40 years and never developed cancer. The person who ate *nasty* NC bbq everyday and never had an issue with cholesterol or their heart. People need to take an active look at their lifestyle and adjust accordingly. By following blanket trends, you aren't just wasting money, you're wasting time and effort..which is kinda pointless to do in the long run.

3. No all problems can be avoided. Genetics can also play a huge part. That we can't control, others we can. And in many cases, what we can control, we don't.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/08/26/heart.attack.tom.bare/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

4. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Gupta buys into The China Study. Another one bites the dust.

5. In yesterdays paper, I, it suggested that studies have proven that if you want a healthy heart, you should force yourself to consume more chocolate, the dark chocolate is especially good for you. I should imagine Carob bars to be very bad for you - having as much in common with a turd as it does with chocolate. Yes its brown, so is a turd. Yes its rolled flat and bar shaped from a mould, but you could do that with a turd.
    Anyone else fancy the chocolate diet for good health? It comes from a bean, so that makes it part of your five a day.

6. Random McRandom

the key word here again is moderation. The problem that people have these days is they don't moderate. They eat McJunk, BurgerStink, and the rest of them 8 times a week and think 30 minutes in the gym twice a week is healthy. They consume far too much carb content for non-active people, not enough good fat (because fat free is the perfect solution! :rolleyes: ) and so forth.

So yes, just like wine is helpful to your heart, chocolate could be as well..but if you eat 7 bars a day because "IT'S HEALTHY!" then..yeah..it's clog you up.

7. I understand the amount of red wine you would need to drink to de furr your arteries would kill you with liver failure before your veins were 'cured'. I do drink red grape juice myself - but genetics are aginst me.

8. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

The China Study is deeply flawed bad science.

No one would have to force me to consume more dark chocolate.:D

Lindy

9. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

As flawed as the conclusions are, there are also some interesting observations.

10. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

What is wrong with The China Study? It sounds a lot better than what passes as medical research in this country... I meant statistics and extremely small sample sizes.

I have figured out that I live in a country full of people who just don't care. They don't care about their health, over fishing, factory farms, the environment, or other people. They do care about money & sex, but only if it is easy.

The movie is Forks Over Knives that looks into the health problems that carnivores can expect, and what eating sugar, HFCS, and salt does to the human body. Yes, in moderation, it is fine, but the definition of 'moderation' is vastly different that what the average person thinks.

11. ktspktsp

ktspktsp Vertical

They can take my olive oil from my cold, slippery hands..
    I'm a bit suspicious of Gupta given that he is more of a TV personality than a doctor at this point. Still, reducing animal-based food is obviously healthier.. I still eat quite a bit of meat but I'd like to cut down on that a bit.

Anyway, most things in moderation...

12. Now I mentioned this to the Asthma nurse at a checkup, and although she said she had never heard of it, it did make sense.

Read and Forward it.......Very Helpful..!!

Valuable Piece of information

Let's say it's 6.15pm and you're going home (alone of course), after an unusually hard day on the job.

You're really tired, upset and frustrated.

Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your chest that starts to drag out into your arm and up into your jaw. You are only about five miles from the hospital nearest your home. Unfortunately you don't know if you'll be able to make it that far. You have been trained in CPR, but the guy that taught the course did not tell you how to perform it on yourself.

HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE

Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack, without help,the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness.

However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest.

A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without let-up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again.

Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital. Tell as many
    other people as possible about this. It could save their lives!!

--- merged: Sep 2, 2011 8:38 AM ---
    Sorry - cant change colour - but if you highlight it, you can read it, and it might save your life. What to do if you are alone and having a heart attack.

13. Random McRandom

Copy/Paste for chinesecrested

Let's say it's 6.15pm and you're going home (alone of course), after an unusually hard day on the job.
    You're really tired, upset and frustrated.
    Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your chest that starts to drag out into your arm and up into your jaw. You are only about five miles from the hospital nearest your home. Unfortunately you don't know if you'll be able to make it that far. You have been trained in CPR, but the guy that taught the course did not tell you how to perform it on yourself.
    HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE
    Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack, without help,the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness.
    However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest.
    A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without let-up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again.
    Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital. Tell as many
    other people as possible about this. It could save their lives!!

14. Thankyou hun - I stumble around in this electronic world, often warmed by the kindnesses of strangers.

15. Interesting way to keep alive when having a heart attack. If it ever happens to me I just hope I have the presence of mind to remember to do it.

16. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Data are misinterpreted and cherry picked to support the conclusion. To pick a few glaring examples, death certificates for people age 65 and older were called "unreliable" and thrown out, and the discussion of cancer rates completely omitted the much higher stomach cancer rates among Dr. Campbell's subjects and their peers. Most of his claims are unsubstantiated or poorly supported. Bottom line, Dr. Campbell started with a conclusion and found the evidence he needed to support it.

Can you rephrase your claim that it's "a lot better than what passes as medical research in this country" without the strawman and weasel words?

17. Diet will not be the "cure" for heart disease. If you're interested, research "Chlamydia pneumonae" and pathological causation for heart disease. There are about four pathogens directly tied to heart disease, and not one of them is named "Big Mac."

Our culture has this whip-crack desire to blame diet for everything under the sun, but the fact is you can eat the worst American diet and be heart-healthy, or live on tofu and rice and have a heart attack during your morning run.

18. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

If it is a 'fact', where is your proof? Has anyone ever done a large (hundred of thousands to millions sample size) study of a real food verses artificial food diet?

Look around you. It isn't just the end heart attack, it is the lifestyle the 'healthy food' eaters have compared to the overweight 'Burger & Fries' eaters.

And I have watched 'The Biggest Loser' enough to know that the people are much happier when they change their diet and exercise. It might be hard at first, but it works.

19. I will not argue about the positive effects of weight loss. People absolutely benefit from dropping unnecessary body fat, and the effects are well-documented. I'm also not saying that having high bodyfat doesn't contribute to the effects of heart disease. It just isn't a causative link.

I no longer have access to the medical journal databases where all of my 'proof' lives, so I cannot supply it. Anyone who does is encouraged to research Chlamydia pneumonae as a causative, and if anyone does please link/supply whatever you can.

20. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

How many cases of heart disease are caused by Chlamydia pneumonae? Is it 'really' heart disease or just lumped in with it because of the symptoms or end result? How do you get Chlamydia pneumonae?

The state of medical research is pretty sad. Well, the researchers and journals might be high-tech, but they are not teaching the general public about their findings. And they also need to do figure out why introducing one thing will cause the body to do something in response to it. They also need to differentiate between facts and theories. A fact will work 1 million times for 1 million people. A theory is what you studied on 50 people that you think might work on 1 million people. And then we need to figure out why something works and inform the general population about it, after it has been tested by multiple other doctors and scientists around the world.