1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

How awesome is the "Alerts" feature of this new software?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Or am I the only one that loves logging on and seeing the little red icon pop up on the upper right corner? :D

It's like unexpectedly getting an envelope in the mail from a friend. What's inside? Did someone send me a message? Did someone quote me? Better yet, did some appreciate what I posted enough to "like" it? Every time I see it I'm like "Woohoo!" in my head before I click on it!! :cool:

Maybe I'm the only one to be so easily amused. :p

• Like Like x 3
  2. Or you're a dork :p

3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

[Alert flag] is a helluva drug.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Borla

Craven fed my addiction too. I'm pretty sure his plan is to give out free samples, then start making us pay for it once we're hooked. But I'm on to him. *squint*

• Like Like x 1
  5. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

*sees red alert flag, sees that it is Borla*

Hey, you did that on purpose.

The Alert Flag is definitely a great feature. TFP 4.0 required a lot of work on the behalf of any user that took off for a month. You had to sift through page after page of New Posts tab results and if it crashed, you were doomed to Maybe Never See That Stuff. The Alert Flag lets me know when someone quotes me or tags me in a post; that way I can come up with an asinine rambling response after carefully consulting a thesaurus.

6. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

hahaha....yeah, I kinda love it, too. I'm not as excited when it's "someone liked your post," but when I get tagged or quoted, yep. I'm all "w00t!"

7. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I have 153 alerts, I dont know what any of them are...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

JESUS.

You gonna smoke that or stare at it?

9. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I clicked on it and all it is is telling me that someone replied in a thread I also replied in.

Personally not very interesting.

I guess I would like to know if someone liked something I said, but all I saw (on the first page) was replies

(and yes I am sure that you can define what alerts you have if you can be bothered to look at it)

10. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

You can turn that off, Strange Famous. The only alerts I get have to do specifically with me, not just "someone else replied to this."

11. retrogunslinger

retrogunslinger Vertical

I'm really liking everything about the new design. The alerts are an especially nice touch. Now I don't have to go trolling though all of my old posts to see if someone replied, only to find out it was a reply specifically to another member. Then I go outside into the sleet and snow, pull out a shotgun and let it click a few times against my head until I realize, oh, I didn't buy any shells.

So yes, the alerts feature is quite handy.

12. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

I like it because it allows me to rebuttal on threads I actually care about and I don't have to go back to find the thread.... I suppose.... its making more lazy....

13. cj2112

cj2112 Slightly Tilted

Love the Alert feature, it's probably my favorite feature...

14. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I like the alert flags, as well. What I don't like are the hundreds of emails I keep getting telling me uncle phil posted something in the same thread. (damn you, unc!)
    I thought I had turned it off in my profile, but apparently I did something else entirely. (hope it wasn't a bomb ignition button)

15. Borla

I don't think it's making more lazy. I was bad about following up on threads on the old TFP. But here, between the alerts and my personal resolution to be more active here, I actually think it's helped keep me more active.

The rest of you have to judge if that's positive or not. :p

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ourcrazymodern?

Ourcrazymodern? still, wondering

:D alerts make me wonder more :D
    :p about other things I might forget :p
    :rolleyes: it's a beautiful feature :)

17. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I love the alert feature.

18. shoegirl

shoegirl Vertical

This is exactly how I feel! I was gone from the old TFP for a long time, but I'm really happy to be a part of the new place. The alerts help me keep up with threads I've posted in, and help to remind me to continue to contribute and not just lurk around.

19. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

I like it... makes one feel a little more involved in the discussions.

20. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

I like it a lot. It's the first thing I click on when I come to TFP now. It's just easier.