1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

how did you come up with your user name?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ralphie250, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Chould? I wasn't that drunk.

2. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

My first thought on seeing Plan9 is always the classic Ed Wood Golden Turkey.
    I use another OTR themed handle on a forum that used to be active but has been mostly dead for awhile now and the Opera web browser forum . That one is taken from a 'juvenile western' as they are called by some.

3. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

I'm nicknamed monkey for being insanely curious about everything as a kid. A is first initial of my name, and the spelling changed so just cause I felt like it. Now... I actually repond to Monkie in real life just as well as I do to my actual given name.

4. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

I guess I was. ;)

5. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

How appropriate! Especially since I am, in fact, a Golden Turkey.

6. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

I'm a fan of Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. I added the zero in place of the "o" when the Matrix came out and it became impossible to get Morpheus as a name anywhere.

7. Ambient1 New Member

I was listening to a lot of ambient music at the time, and thought that pretty much describes how I usually am in social settings. The 1 at the end was a result of my usual name being taken, and I ended up liking it better as it was a play on "ambient one".

8. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

Way back when on the original TFP, I was "Prince of Darkness" which struck me as kind of badass. After the first server crash, I tried to re-register with that name, it wouldn't let me. So I went with the next most obvious thing. I think Lucifer is even more badass, which anyone who knows me IRL knows I am not!

• Like Like x 1
  9. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

I used to be Tiger69z when I first registered. However, I broke the forum rules as I was only 17, so the site banned me. A couple of months later, when I turned 18, I reregistered. At the time, I loved Mustangs, hence, part of my name + stang = KirStang. I only use this moniker on TFP.

10. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I used to be a bookseller on ebay
    starting in 1999
    mixedmedia books

I have used mixedmedia as a username pretty widely ever since.

11. Seer666

Seer666 Getting Tilted

I've used this handle for a great many years now. Was reading a lot of random things like Book 4 at the time, and "Seer" seemed to be a natural fit for me. That was taken, so added the 666 on a whim. It just kind of stuck.

12. Clockwork Gigolo

Clockwork Gigolo New Member

The name kind of came from a couple of places. My old avatar was Bart Simpson as Alex from A Clockwork Orange but I started out wanting a Doctor Who inspired name. I looked through a few of my favorite episodes and The Girl in The Fireplace which has a Clockwork Robot and it brought me back to A Clockwork Orange. I then connected the Venetian Masks from the Doctor Who episode to Eyes Wide Shut which featured many similar masks. So I had "Clockwork" as a part of a name and Venetian masks as an endless supply of avatars. After a few minutes, Gigolo Joe from A.I. came to mind. I just put the two together and got Clockwork Gigolo.

13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

My given name is Sophia, which I loath. I only use it if it's unavoidable, like occasionally with legal documents. Lindy is a diminutive of my family name, and I've used it since I was a kid. If I answer the phone and the caller asks for Sophia, I know it's not someone I want to talk to.

Lindy

15. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

My name is what Mrs. McCave should have named one of her 23 sons instead of Dave.

16. crimemastergogo New Member

Crimemastergogo is a villainous/comedic character in a Bollywood movie who wears super hero kinda costume and threatens to play marbles with your eyeballs.

17. Jove

Jove Slightly Tilted

I am not sure, but it does have an interesting background to it: "In ancient Roman religion and myth, Jupiter or Jove was the king of the gods, and the god of sky and thunder. He is the equivalent of Zeus in the Greek pantheon." So I have that going for me.

18. Carbonic

Carbonic Getting Tilted

I decided I wanted the word carbon as a base for my username (anyone who knows me IRL can figure out why with a little creative thinking), and so I looked at words based on carbon and decided carbonic sounded nice :)

19. Bolt

Bolt New Member

Because you never know when you are gonna wind up on the couch of a psycho dr. Actually it has more to do with my pursuing a Phd in psychology.

20. flat5

flat5 Vertical

I thought Rumpleforeskin was a funny name but it's not me and it gets tired after awhile.
    I had hoped to use it as a band name but never have.
    Perhaps I'll use it as a song name in the future.
    Rumpleforeskin Blues?