1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

How do you fight weeds?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by martian, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Ok I see what you mean, that does sound a lot less worrisome than your actual lawn trying to escape your yard.

2. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

It would probably be more clear with a picture or two. I was thinking I ought to snap some pics of the house for internet sharing anyway, maybe I'll do that today.

3. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Well, I ended up doing it The Hard Way.

House:

IMG_20150920_170214.jpg

Front garden before:

IMG_20150920_170235.jpg

Walkway before:

IMG_20150920_170245.jpg

Front garden and walkway after:

IMG_20150920_184613.jpg

I still have to pull the weeds out of that cracked paving stone (that runs out to the street, out of frame). In the spring I'll most likely end up completely digging up that front garden and replanting it. I don't really know how to tend a garden but I figure there's really only the one way to learn.

While I was pulling weeds I noticed that the soil appears to be running over the stones surrounding the garden, not under as I had previously assumed. I'm unsure what that means or what, if anything, can be done about it. Must ask the Google.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Looking good.

5. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

It's probably just extra soil piled on top of the ground and held in with those vertical stones. As far as gardening goes it's easy to learn and hard to master.

6. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I pull weeds out by the root if I plan to plant something else in that area, or they're too close to "good" plants. If they're stubborn and space isn't too tight, I carefully spray them with weed killer, same as the ones in more open areas. Going organic is eco-friendly, but sometimes you need those suckers dead real fast.

The grass 'sprigs' in the flower bed are a PITA. You have get down to the roots, otherwise you'll end up pulling sprigs forever. I learned that lesson the hard way when I attempted to reclaim an overgrown bed that had been used for veggies.

Nice house, congrats!