1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe How do you like your eggs?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by snowy, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

Over easy or over medium, lots of pepper, usually a dash of hot sauce. Also a huge Eggs Benedict fan. Not a big scrambled guy, but I do like them in a breakfast burrito, or in a western omelet.

2. ring

ring

Boiled. (until the yolk is half set- half drippy)

large egg 7 & 3/4 minutes and then quickly set in a pan of cold water.
    9 minutes for the jumbos.

pastured eggs are best - they rarely reach jumbo size though.
    the pastured egg yolks during the summer are a blazeny, beautiful deep orange colour.

after slowly frying some mild italian sausage- i like to ditch most of the grease, then scoot those little dark cracklins'
    to the center of the pan - turn down the heat, crack a few eggs on top, and cover them with a lid to gently finish.

for an omelette or sunny side up without any brown/burnt spots - start with a cold pan and......

*swoon* i adore eggs.
    my arms go all trembly when i think of all the fabulous ways to cook eggs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Farm eggs don't last in my house, ring. I eat them all within days. Sometimes even hours.

For those who like quiche, here's a great crustless mini quiche recipe that you can freeze: Make-Ahead Recipe: Crustless Mini-Quiches Recipes from The Kitchn | The Kitchn I didn't have milk on hand but I did have extra heavy cream, so instead of the milk, I just used water, figuring that the fat in the cream would make up for the lack of fat in the water. They turned out great, but I would say to line the mini-muffin tins with baking cups. Even with the pans well-greased, it wasn't easy to get them out. I think if I were going to make them on a regular basis, I'd invest in a silicone mini-muffin tin. They were seriously good--I used onion, red pepper, mushroom, and Comte or sharp cheddar to flavor them. I got lots of compliments at the tailgater I took them to.

4. Fly

Fly music is the answer

my chickens give the best eggs......and they are usually done over easy,or poached.

damn good eats.

• Like Like x 1
  5. aquafox

aquafox Getting Tilted

Scrambled / omelets

6. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I love eggs and have no preference as to which way they're prepared. Unless of course they're prepared by someone who doesn't know how to cook eggs properly (like those who dilute the flavor of scrambled eggs by adding milk :confused: ) and oh yeah, I won't eat them raw.

Lately I enjoy them scrambled with a bit of sauteed onion and mushroom, then some fresh goat's cheese added right at the end.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kurdtisj

kurdtisj Vertical

Sunny side up with toast, for dipping, and Bacon for necessity. Bacon is my favorite food group.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Any way, as long as they are not overcooked. Dry scrambled eggs are disgusting. They are supposed to be moist and creamy. Too many restaurants overcook omelets. Yuck! I order fried eggs sunny-side up. Too often, over-easy come out with a cooked-through yolk. Do I sound fussy?

A suitable pork product should always share the plate with my eggs. Bacon, sausage, ham.... love 'em all!

• Like Like x 1
  9. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Over medium—thick, viscous yolk—fried in bacon grease, seasoned with salt and pepper. Every morning, for breakfast.

Eggs make me so, so very happy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. snowy

I agree with the overcooked omelets. I rarely order omelets out since I know I can make a better one at home.

11. How about a fried egg sandwich on toast covered in peanut butter.... mmm, mmm, mmm.

• Like Like x 1
  12. snowy

That sounds like something my husband would eat. Not for me, thanks.

13. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Scrambled, firm, no milk, no butter, just a little salt and pepper.
    I'm teaching myself to eat fried eggs... but they have to have NO runny in the yolk. So I pretty much make them myself.
    Egg white omelettes with sauteed mushrooms, spinach, leeks, and diced tomatoes... sometimes a little mozzarella, are my favorite there... cooked firm, too.
    I cannot STAND anything runny in my eggs. I get really ill. Not sure if it's similar to my dairy issue, some people say it might. I don't really care one way or another. Oh, and I'll eat hardboiled whites but not the yolks, they're gross.

Oh, and I'd gleefully not eat for three days for a Garden Egg MENU

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  14. snowy

My husband doesn't like runny eggs either--I've figured out that for him, it's something in his head where he thinks the runny egg must not be food-safe. So when I do serve an egg dish where the eggs are softer than he would prefer, I temp them as proof that they're done. He'll usually eat them then, but he absolutely will not eat my scrambled eggs Gordon Ramsay-style. I have to take my portion out of the pan and then continue cooking his for another couple minutes so they're overcooked. Yuck.

15. Be a good wife and make him one. Tell me how he likes it.

:runs:

• Like Like x 1
  16. snowy

I would, but we don't have any peanut butter.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

If you are eating overcooked yolks, you are missing out. Hard boiled eggs, cooked properly, are devine. The yolks are creamy.

• Like Like x 3
  18. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

If I had to choose one source of protein to draw from for the rest of my life, the incredible, edible egg would be it.

• Like Like x 2
  19. snowy

Totally. I went one summer when I was 15 or so eating omelets for nearly every meal. My grandpa came to visit and my mom said, "Have snowy make you an omelet. She's been on an omelet kick lately." My grandpa did a double-take, and told my mom she had done the same when she was 15! She hadn't remembered.

20. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

The greatest thing about eggs, as demonstrated in this thread, is their versatility.

I did a couple of eggs over easy for lunch today. Was fantastic.

• Like Like x 1