1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe How do you like your eggs?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by snowy, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Ideally, I like them scrambled medium-creamy, fried in clarified butter, with a slice of brioche toast and Polish pear jam (seriously, that's a thing: find a store where you can get Eastern European goods. Turns out the Poles, the Ukrainians, the Hungarians, the Czechs, and the folks from the Baltics make crazy good preserves, and they will make jam or jelly out of anything they can get their hands on) on the side, and a little vegetarian bacon (all Morningstar Farms all the time).

I have also been known to enjoy a fried egg sandwich or muffin with cheese, where the egg is fried over medium. Also omelets, the favorite being cheese, carmelized sweet onions, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet corn, and vegetarian ground beef.

One of my specialties, though is fritatta. I make a great baked fritatta, with artichoke hearts, broccoli, asparagus, leeks, onions, garlic, vegetarian sausage, Yukon Gold potatoes, anchovy paste, carmelized fennel, Italian herbs, and four or five kinds of cheeses. We sometimes serve it for Sunday brunches, along with fresh warm Tuscan-style bread with butter and honey, white bean and tomato soup, salad and fresh vegetables, and white wine spritzers.

2. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

Depends on what I'm eating them with :)
    -Overeasy is my go to at diners/restaurants for lots of toast and bacon dipping
    -Scrambled at home, when I can make them super fluffy and creamy...with cheese. :)
    -Poached over corned beef hash, so I can get violent and smoosh it all together into a delicious gloopy crispy mess

In addition, I also LOVE quiche, and pickled eggs. Pickled eggs were the specialty of the bar across the street from me at school. I thought they were disgusting...until I tried one. Now I'm obsessed, and no one makes them as delicious. I see many roadtrips in my future exclusively for the eggs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ayashe

Ayashe Getting Tilted

I have used those on a few occasions. I have a friend who has an egg allergy that is specific to the yolk but she can tolerate the Better Than Eggs and Eggbeaters. It made a decent egg bake. I had a spell where I was working to improve my breakfast habits (I was skipping it all together) I had a kick for a while of tossing a 1/4 cup or so into a pan and tossing it on a toasted sandwich thing with some laughing cow cheese and a slice or two of smoked turkey. Quick and easy but not as enjoyable as a good egg. Farm fresh eggs are so much better. Don't be fooled when buying farm fresh organic eggs at the market. Some of the better supermarkets do keep the real deal but the quality varies a ton. Often times you open a carton and you may be misled by seeing brown eggs but on closer view you can see the same brittle shells from the factory farmed lot. A good egg should be tough and a little hard to break, have beautiful bright yolks inside.

I eat them pretty much any way but one of my odd favorites that I haven't seen mentioned here is hard boiled, quartered and tossed into a curry with potatoes, cauliflower, chickpeas or whatever is in the cupboard at the moment. Another frequent use would be tossing an egg into some bubbling broth and noodles with some green onions, peas etc.. simple soup. Scrambled eggs are awesome but I don't like them creamy, I prefer to cook over a lower heat to keep them nice and fluffy but not dry. The only way I would refuse to eat an egg would be raw.

4. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I'll have to try that with the curry.
    My dad makes home-made egg-nog with raw eggs. No one has ever complained. Or, maybe no one ever noticed.

5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

That's how I make egg nog when I make it for a party. I use Alton Brown's recipe. So good.

6. Rebel CR

Rebel CR Vertical

are you offering to cook me eggs Snowy?

sunny-side up please :p

7. snowy

Sure. I'm an eggspert.

8. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

You made a funny...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Was a good yolk

• Like Like x 2
  10. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

Over easy, then plopped on a piece of very slightly toasted white bread....(break the yolk and let it soak into the bread)
    Wakey wakey, eggs and bakey....
    --- merged: Feb 13, 2013 at 5:53 PM ---
    Oh, and another I forgot, fried on a fresh bakery roll,(with a few bakey strips) it's sure to leak onto your lap....

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2013
  11. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I am pleased to announce that I have been able to consistently cook a fried egg with no oil, less than completely hard, in a way in which I can eat it. I like to chop it up into brown rice with a little Bragg's and some fukimara... fuki-something topping. The egg is almost completely cooked through in the yolk. I'm getting there.

12. Fly

Fly music is the answer

....in a sammich with bacon,onions,cheese and mushrooms

13. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

After having tried Eggs Benedict a couple times since the start of the year both at my place and at some very nice eateries, I can say that I am not a fan of it.

Love the taste (who doesn't love Sauce Hollandaise?), but it's way too heavy as a breakfast item for me, and is quite messy to eat while talking with someone.

14. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

Had cheesy scrambled eggs for dinner. Good choices were made.

• Like Like x 1
  15. hotzot

hotzot New Member

In a sammich!

16. Fried, scrambled, or boiled. No cheese, veggies, meat, hollandaise, or hot sauce please. Deviled are good at a BBQ, but other than that...just the egg.

• Like Like x 1
  17. snowy

I am going for a weekend away with family in a few weeks. My in-laws always cook their eggs disgustingly overhard. Like, I look at it and instantly know it will be rubbery. No thanks. I told my husband I would have to bring my own egg pan, butter, and eggs for my breakfast.

Their eggs kinda look like this, but with much more brown.

[​IMG]

Personally, I prefer an egg so lightly fried that people mistake it for poached. Low and slow!!!

18. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I like my huevos very much... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I had a Beastie Boy attack.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Turns out Mrs. Levite's favorite breakfast is papas fritas the way her Argentinean-Wisconsinite father makes them: french fries (usually leftover fries, reheated in the hot frying pan) with a couple of over easy eggs served on top of them. She finally asked me to make them for her (what took her this long, I don't know-- maybe the rarity of leftover fries in our house), which I did, to warm appreciation.

It had been a long time since I made over easies. When I make them fried (rather than scrambled) for myself, I like over medium. But I was pleased that I had not forgotten or lost my touch: the eggs were perfect over easy-- light, and deep gold liquid yolks. You would not have been displeased, @snowy.

• Like Like x 2