1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

How is the web different today than 5 years ago?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Test Account, Jul 29, 2011.

1. The Web is a very different place today.

I see less web and more app, but we seem to think that the internet is the web, and the web is the internet.

Many of the things that I know were being toyed and played with back in the 90s are really finally coming to fruition in a real sense instead of being just geek-lore.

2. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

There are a lot more little kids!

I know that you're posting these up for little reason, but they're funny.

3. Little kids that are smarter than i am.

I'm more annoyed about how social sites have changed the way people interact face to face.

4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Agreed 100% Between that and text messages, people have forgotten how to speak to one another. I'm all for using modern technology when it makes sense, but when you are actually with living and breathing human beings, converse with them instead of staring into your phone! :p

5. I hate when someone says to me, "LOL." Seriously? Why don't you actually Laugh Out Loud.

• Like Like x 2
  6. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

7. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

my daughter says 'lawl' and it annoys the shit out of me.
    she also says 'powned' which makes my eyes involuntarily roll back in my head.

but, yeah, the internet. i know it is different, but when I try to think of how, I draw a blank.
    of course, I'm not a real adventurous sort. I am still pretty much doing the same things on the internet that I was five years ago.

8. Borla

The other thing that is different is that it's much more accessible from mobile devices, and for someone who travels weekly, that is awesome. I use my phone for lots of spur of the moment things like using Yelp! to find a new lunch spot, looking up an address on Google, or using barcode apps to scan products and find the best price near where I'm at. So while it kills a lot of social interaction by overuse, there are a lot of benefits too.

9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I'm interested in the way the Internet has changed language. Yes, we all lament the fact that instant messaging and texting have changed the English language, perhaps in a detrimental way, but one thing we don't often consider is the role memes in particular can play in changing language. Take the construction: "I can has." We all know where that one is from. "I can has" is showing up in multiple places these days. For instance, Stephen Colbert used the construction when he was awarded his SuperPAC. While Stephen Colbert might contend he is not mainstream media, I would argue that he is, and that he is in a position to influence changes in language.

I enjoy using WoWspeak with a coworker of mine. It is like our own secret language that other coworkers don't understand.

10. Borla

I don't verbalize to many internet memes, but the main board that I spend time on has literally hundreds of emoticons. I have several buddies from there that I play WWF with, text with, email with, etc. We will often use the vb code for those emoticons in our messages to each other on those platforms. I guess that's kind of along the same lines, but not QUITE as bad. :p

11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I dunno. A part of me sees great things. Another part of me sees it becoming a glut of meaningless noise.

The future of the Internet lay in filters.

12. Borla

If you want something cool to read about the changing of the internet, check out this link:

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2011/07/internet-tidal-wave.html

It's a memo that Bill Gates wrote 16 years ago. It blows my mind how accurate he was in many of his predictions as to what would happen with the spread of the internet. Obviously a portion of his predictions came true because of his influence, but it is still pretty much genius.

13. Borla

Another great thing about the internet now, that is far more popular than it was 5 years ago (but still possible in some cases then) is ordering food and other household goods online.

I just ordered a pizza for dinner online. I order a ton of household goods through Amazon.com's Subscription service. Most things that I would've went to Walmart for 5 years ago I now by on Amazon for the same price, but without having to deal with Walmart.

14. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

There has always been noise. The only difference is there is a much larger potential audience at much greater distances for anyone's noise.

Change happens. If it wasn't this it would have been something else, and none of it would have been intelligent debate en masse. The good thing is that intelligent debate is still possible and it follows the same rules as above.

15. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I like the fact that I can choose to ignore a lot of the noise... like Nancy Grace.
    On the evening news, I'd have to keep watching until something of interest came along.
    Now I can choose english.aljazeera.net and get the "real" news without bias or extra commentary.

16. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

The web is accessibility like we've never seen it before. If you want to argue we are not really a global economy and culture, the internet will be the first place to refute that claim.