1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

How is this my fault?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by MKOLLER, Aug 22, 2012.

1. MKOLLER

MKOLLER Vertical

Alright, so can someone please explain this to me?

I recently had a job interview at my local grocer. This was a grand total of four days after I had moved home, because I had started putting applications into places two weeks prior to the move. The interview comes and goes pretty well.

This morning I get a call from them. They tell me that they were impressed by my performance during the interview; however the position is going to someone else because their scheduling is better. You see, I told them I can work whenever but that my preference was evening; eventually I would like to resume college classes (partially at the request of my mother, which becomes really important later). They already have three employees with that same schedule set, so it makes sense they wouldn't need another. I told them that I completely understood, thanked them for their time, and hung up.

I then go to tell my mom about it. My brother is there too. I tell them that I didn't get the job, and that it was a conflict of interest in regards to scheduling. My brother immediately opens his mouth, saying that I should have said I could work any time. I tell him that I did say anytime was fine, but my preference was evening, particularly because I plan on resuming college classes spring term.

My mom flips her lid. She gets pissed, saying that I shouldn't have even mentioned it. When in a job interview, I shouldn't be thinking about the future, I should just be thinking about now and how money is more important than anything. So basically, her opinion is that I fucked up severely, and now I feel kind of inept because of that.

But I have to ask, is she even right? She was the one pushing for me to go back to college so much, even though I've only been out a week and plan to resume in the spring anyway. And if I'm going to do that, my employer is going to need to know that beforehand so they can make the best decision in regards to running their business. If their decision-making is going to conflict with the goals of their employees, it brings down productivity of the whole company, and they of course know that. So they went for someone with a better person-job fit. So I have to ask...

How in the fuck is it my fault that a damn near perfect interview still resulted in no job?

2. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

For me I don't lay all my cards out on the table right away. I wait to see what you require and make sure I put enough cards on down to meat or beat that. You freely volunteered some information that if it was a protected class such as married, with kids, ethnicity, religious observation, you've made it difficult for that individual to make an easy decision to hire you. Technically I can't be biased against someone who has kids because you know I want someone who will not watch the clock and may put in extra hours when needed. I just look for another way to discount them so that I'm not used as a legal whipping post because I'm biased against people with children. The same thing with religious observances. If I need someone to work on Saturday, I can't hire an observant Jew. I need a worker to be in on Sunday, a devout Catholic is a problem. So I can't not hire them because of their religious aspects, but I'll find another reason that is acceptable and say they weren't qualified.

(I'm not biased but this is just an example)

Play your hand closer to the vest.

Get the job first, then make those kinds of announcements when actually needed. Meaning, you aren't yet registered for 2013 Fall classes, why bother mentioning that's your plan?

• Like Like x 3
  3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

This looks like a blog entry, but I'll chime in with the obvious: The hiring process for many companies is a combination of Ouija board moves and the right timing. My old job: How did I go for toilet installation inspector to admin ninja in less than four months? Because I was there at the right time and I had my pants on. Other jobs I've applied to: I'm more than qualified for their entry level position yet received zero call backs. It is what it is.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  4. MKOLLER

MKOLLER Vertical

But my problem with that is if you omit that in the first interview, and they hire you/give you a second interview, you've just put them in a worse situation; not to mention they will likely terminate you within that probationary period anyway. It can also work both ways, putting you in an even worse situation. At my last job, there were several scheduling requirements including being on the premises for 24 straight hours or more. On more than one occasion, I had to deal with an urgent situation because people decided to violate those terms, leaving us completely understaffed (one time I was the only staff member across four buildings, and everything that could go wrong at the time did). That's why scheduling, even months in advance, is so important.

And I'm registered for Spring Term 2013. That's why I brought it up in the first place. I filled out the paperwork that morning.

5. cynthetiq

The more I desire you to be my employee, the more I'm willing to forgive and adjust other things in order to accommodate your needs. Call it playing favorites if that's what makes you understand it better, though I do try to accommodate everyone equally once on the job. They can term you for whatever reasons during the probationary period. A good worker is a good worker, again, if I wanted that worker over another I'd not want to invoke the probationary thing. If you sucked well then I'll use that against you and term you before the probationary period.

Spring 2013 is still January 2013 almost 5 months away. Lots of things can happen between now and then. Like those other guys that they already have too many of, yeah they could leave for whatever reasons.

6. MKOLLER

MKOLLER Vertical

Well, I guess I'll just have to learn from my mistakes and try again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

Not your fault. Your parents sound like unsuportive ... human beings.

Just next time, leave out all your preference especially low level jobs like grocery clerks or what have you. These are jobs that don't require much ... disclosure. So to speak. That is to say, these people will be thoroughly impressed with your ability to show up to work on time and do your job. Nothing more nothing less. You can seek a shift change AFTER you get your foot in the door. Also, be prepared to leave on the drop of a hat should the manager actually say something like "We hired you for that specific shift and we have to let you go if you can't work it". That's totally fine. You'll find another one. But school is important. I found that making yourself reliable in other areas makes the higher ups more likely to develop you or even attempt to accomodate your situation.

• Like Like x 1
  8. cynthetiq

I don't have the right answer, just my perspective from being a hiring manager.

The idea to me is to always secure the job first by making the employer want you bad enough that anything you say to dissuade them is going be a non-issue. This can be something like a vacation you've already planned from a previous job booked and paid for to requiring leaving early for a piano course you are going to sign your kid up for in the future.

9. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

honestly, it just sounds like a bullshit excuse they gave you. more than likely it had nothing to do with you and more to do with they just wanted this other person (maybe they knew the manager etc.).

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

It depends on your perspective and the place you're applying. I've worked at each end of the spectrum (seemingly exclusively) and try to have an idea of what the place is like before I walk in the first time.

I've worked for some real asshole companies - companies that will screw you over at every opportunity: no loyalty, no respect and no conscience. Nothing but the bottom line matters. Companies like that? Tell them whatever you have to get what you need, because they're only going to be doing the same thing to you. There are a lot of companies out there like this, too many. I think some folks get a skewed perspective in dealing with employers because of this.

11. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

This might be true. I applied a while back for so many jobs with OPEN availability and they had no reason to turn me down so they simply never called back. You just need to keep on searching. You will find something that you can do that is low stress sooner or later.

12. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

If this job was up the ladder a few notches and a change in schedule after 4 months would leave the company in a bind I'd agree that you were right to alert them to your future plans - but let's face it, grocery stores generally have a high turnover of employees. They are fairly used to employees staying for a while and moving on to greener pastures. You don't say what position you were being interviewed for but I'm assuming it wasn't anything like store manager or even clerical staff.

I'm sort of with those here who think it was just an excuse, as grocery stores (at least the larger ones) are usually overstaffed in such a way that they can accommodate different work schedules as they survive mostly on part time and floating employees they can move around to ensure they have adequate coverage. If they were looking to hire, it was probably to top off their employee roster.

But yeah, in the future I would advise you don't raise the flag on future plans unless you feel that your position is going to be vital to the company operation and a change would put them in a difficult position.

The truth is, getting your foot in the door is everything these days. But once you've proven yourself a reliable, hard-working employee, many employers will accommodate a change in plans down the road.

I think your mother was out of line.

Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  13. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I would view your presenting that information at the interview as an innocent, rookie mistake.
    Yes, it's a mistake.
    But hardly a major sin.
    You will get better at this with experience. Some excellent advice in the posts above.
    Try to keep your cards closer to the vest, in general.

14. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

1. Your brother should keep his trap shut (MYOB)
    2. Your parents may be under unsaid pressure (aka money) To give them the benefit of the doubt...this comes out in weird ways at times.
    3. All thing being even, you could have "raised your eyebrow the wrong way", sometimes there is no real reason why you didn't get it.

Job searches are a volume game.
    You try to live in an area with "options"
    (areas without options are horrid...stupid shit goes down in jobs, often no fault of your own...you never know when you'll need to move on)
    You put your resumes and applications out to as many different places as possible. (for jobs that are "doable" for YOU, not your brother, not your parents)
    Try to get as many interviews as possible.

There will be quiet a few that will say No, for one reason or another...most of them are bullshit.
    I've lost one, because ONE established contractor had a hissy fit on a fact he was wrong on...I was right, but mgmt didn't care...I was the unknown.
    I've had ones that I knew I won...but they won't tell me that. ("but of course we have other candidates to interview...")
    They are trying to get the most, the best...for the least...whatever the market and competition allows.
    Or simply get who gives them the "warm & fuzzies"

Is this FAIR??
    NOT AT ALL....but, this is how it works in reality for the most part.
    Don't let the "subject matter experts" romanticize or rationalize what is the job market. (something counselors do...trying not to scare kids to death)

----------------

This is my method...and my friends say I turn around jobs/projects faster than anyone else.
    Tweak my resume, so HR dummies can read it on the first page...mgmt can get into the details on the following page.
    Put it out on all the job sites. (Monster, Dice, CareerBuilder and more, including larger newspaper sections online.)

Personally, I don't do job searches and I don't put in applications. (HR depts are useless...and I hate getting thank you cards in the mail)
    I let the recruiters do the hussling. (they're looking to make money on me...so let them)
    Another reason I do this...the companies that go to recruiters...they are serious, not just putting a hook & line out into the water.

Next I make sure I refresh/reload the resume on sites, EVERY Sunday
    Recruiters and HR search engines are often automated to search for listing criteria...so it's all ready for them to discuss and distribute by Monday morn.
    Plus...bonus, it kicks you back up to the top of the priority list. (good for catching most lazy snots who only go thru the first few pages)

You should get hits...pick those that are "doable" by you.
    This should be for YOU, not your brother, not your parents, not your friends.
    You're doing the work, you're doing the bullshit, not them. They have their quirks and talents...you have yours.

Next key, make contact, make contact, make contact...followup, followup, followup...
    Recruiters and HR are worst than kids on a sugar high. They are Attention Deficit Disorder squared.
    Your phone is your best friend...pretend you're a Hollywood agent hussling up a deal. (the deal is YOU)

Finally...interview, interview, interview...most will say no...or will pass...or another stupid insulting reason that will piss you off...
    Fuck 'em...their loss...move on...don't linger...on to the next.
    It is defeating, you may be depressed...wake up, take a hot shower, do it again.
    Getting a job is your JOB...until you get a job. EVERYDAY.

Tell your parents and brother to leave you the hell alone during this time...(unless you are sitting on your ass)
    You're an adult, you don't need their opinion, and the yelling/attitude is demoralizing. You've got enough pressure.
    If anything, ask them to listen...don't judge. Tips always help...tell them to keep it positive.
    But you're likely best to keep it to yourself. (People DO judge, they want, what they want, when they want it)

----------

Now, I'll be honest...this method may not work for you fully.
    I've got experience & background...you've still likely have got to establish yourself.
    So you've got to take some additional steps.
    STILL do the resume and sites...How fuckin' hard is this to do?? It's another angle that may get results.
    But you can't totally rely on it like I do.
    You'll likely need to do the "manual" method...finding jobs, putting in apps, waiting for replies.
    STILL do this in Mass Volume...
    The more you put in...the more likely you'll get hits.

----------

Last...on your resume.
    Put in all your skill in a list format (front page)
    Put in all your certifications (front page)
    Put in ALL your education (front page)
    Your LAST year of college is WAY more important than any HS listing.
    They aren't dumb...just selfish, they know if you're in college...you've passed HS. (it is MORE interesting to read what you're studying and how long)
    Put in any leadership role. (club or otherwise...front page - hey, you "might" be lead or mgmt material...let them think that)

Leave your job experience until after all the lists.
    HR and recruiters focus on the lists. (so do the search engines...)
    Mgmt focuses on the jobs and your description of them. (what you did, your accomplishments, descriptions of the environ, interesting projects...)
    List long-term jobs first...small projects of interest in a following section after.
    If something seems stupid or lame or you do not want to explain it...don't put it in. (your resume is not a legal doc, it's an ad for you...don't lie though)
    (Now since you're starting off...you "may" need to add small jobs...so be it...make them interesting, don't lie...but you can put lipstick on a pig)

Long reply for me as usual...but I hope this helps. :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Money is only valuable insofar as it gets you things. If you can afford to be choosy when looking for a job, by all means do so.

16. its a job at the grocery store that u intended on leaving anyways. why would you get all flustered over that?

as cynth said, if you play your cards closer, and you get hired, and they want to fire you for having a kid/being a certain colour/being a student etc etc, then you could probably have their ass handed to them in court.

17. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

I agree with Cyn et al.

However, I find it disturbing that your brother and mother flipped out about it. You're simply trying to secure a better future for yourself by going to school, they should at least understand that if you are in a job that makes it nearly impossible to attend class, that's a far greater loss than being honest at a job interview and not securing that particular position.

The wife is in H.R. she spends around 15 seconds looking at a resume. That should tell you something. Lists, lists, lists. They don't need or want a term paper. Put down your better points and then just be honest in the interview, but keep some things closer to the chest. They won't tell you everything about the company/job, so it's ok to keep some of your personal issues hidden as well.

Chalk this up to experience. Another opportunity will come along that will hopefully suit your goals better. Good luck!

18. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

You're right, it's not your fault and you have every right to be confused about your mother and brother's response. You were overly honest in your interview. If it were me, I would have taken a chance on you for that very reason. But I don't work in hiring so my opinion is worthless. You are going to get another interview. You can choose to be honest and up-front with everyone there, or you can choose to keep your cards hidden as so many have advised. You need to make that call. If withholding information makes you feel dishonest, then by all means spill whatever you need in order to feel confident. Confidence is key for an interview. And always remember to smile.

19. When I interview applicants, especially younger ones, I always ask if they have plans for furthering their education. I like the ones who answer yes, because the positions I usually have aren't career-path positions. Folks working toward a goal have tended to be more prompt and enthusiastic, I'be found. If their class schedule doesn't conflict with my needs to much, I hire them and make accommodations, when I can.

I suspect that your grocer doesn't share my feelings on this. I had a boss like that once.

• Like Like x 4
  20. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

BTW...I've had many situations where the reason they didn't hire you isn't about you...whatsoever.

Sometimes...someone else just has an agenda. You're the one that's just rolled on.
    Ex. Maybe "they" want to have someone else to get it...and are just going through the paces.
    Don't take it TOO personal...because often it's not you.
    Besides...Fuck'em. ;)