1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

How much data do you use?

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by snowy, Sep 9, 2011.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

My cell phone contract is coming to an end. Verizon is offering me some pretty sweet deals to stay with their service. Since my iPod was stolen a couple of weeks ago, I'm looking to get a smartphone. My only question is: how much data do I need? There are various data packages. I have to get at least a 2GB plan, as required by Verizon. It seems no one has unlimited data anymore--I priced things out at other companies, and everyone is charging similar rates for data, with the exception of AT&T. I wouldn't seriously consider AT&T because my house is a dead spot for them. I didn't even look at Sprint because of the same issue.

Will 2GB be enough? I will probably use my phone to keep tabs on my email, listen to Pandora on occasion, and look up dumb videos on Youtube---oh, and keep in touch with you all. If anyone else has similar usage patterns, please let me know how much you use.

2. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

Can't say I have similar usage pattern but my current plan is 200Mb per month for my moblie. It helps that it has WiFi and uses that when at home and at work.

3. snowy

The phone I'm looking at will do the same thing, and since I spend most of my time in places where there is Wifi available, I can imagine that will save on data.

4. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I don't actually know how much data I use, since I'm not paying the bills (and my previous phone that I was paying for was on an unlimited plan). I do know that I have a 1 GB plan and that our bookkeeper hasn't left me any nasty voicemails so if I am going over I don't imagine it's by much.

Email is huge for me, since I pretty much always have to be reachable via email for work, but I also use my phone for browsing and listening to music. I decided that I wouldn't watch Youtube videos on the go since video streaming is a huge bandwidth monster, but other than that it sounds like we're similar.

Having a smartphone with wifi capability is most helpful in keeping things reasonable -- most of my time is spent at home or in the office, and I have wireless internet in both locations. I do any updating or heavy downloads in those locations only.

Honestly, if it's for a secondary internet connection (which most phones are) 2 GB is quite a bit of data -- particularly when you take into account that many if not most sites these days offer a mobile optimised version that is lightweight and easier to navigate via touchscreen.

5. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

The settings of the device and application can also help with keeping the data traffic down, some can limit certain activities to wifi only.
    I also have a 5 GB plan for my computer. I think I have never used more than 2 or 3 GB of that.

6. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Yes, 2GB will be enough. I steam music, download podcasts, watch videos, download apps, and surf the web constantly and I only push a little past 2GB a month. Watch out when you're first getting started, setting everything up and finding fun new stuff to do with Android pushed me past 2GB in about three days when I first got the phone, but it's tapered off now and I rarely tether anymore.

7. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

So if you have the deal where wi-fi does not count for your network data then use that for initial setup?
    I am sure that 2 GB would be plenty for me if I ever go that path. My current phone has 30 MB and I never get close to that. Of course my phone also sucks horrendously for internet use and make IE 5.0 on a P-120 desktop look luxurious.

8. Shagg

Shagg Vertical

In the last year I've used 10 gigs on my iphone 4. I've still got the unlimited plan though and I know I would have used a lot more if I had tethering.

9. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

I primarily use my phone to kill time in between things that require my attention. I also use it to tether when I feel the need. I didn't break 1 gig last month. I think Sprint is the only carrier who currently has an unlimited data plan.

10. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

There are signifiant rumors that T-Mobile will pick up the iPhone in October, and will have an unlimited data plan.

11. snowy

I figure I can do all of that while I'm at home or at school or at work and using Wifi. The only times I'm not near Wifi is when I'm out and about or in transit. Even then, most of the restaurants here in town have free Wifi, although there are a couple exceptions.

12. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

If I have WiFi on, my battery won't make it to the end of the day.

13. sbscout

sbscout Getting Tilted

It should be plenty... my wife's is attached to her at all times, and she hasn't gone over the 2G threshold.

14. Speed_Gibson

I chose the 75 mb data plan for my new phone and that should be good for me. I avoided the phones (or the bills that come with them rather) that do all of that fancy video and things.
    I might bump my texting plan from the 250/month up to the 500/month but I will wait and see on that one.

15. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I had unlimited when it came out but barely went past 500meg. I dropped down to 200mb when it was cheaper and only once hit that limit.

16. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I've never gone over 200Mb. I drive all over the country, and like that Verizon NEVER has left me out of service.:) That includes mountain valleys in Wyoming and New Mexico, and urban valleys like downtown Chicago and Boston.
    For that reason, I'll stay with them unless I have a very compelling reason to change.:cool:

Lindy

17. Speed_Gibson

So far I have used a whopping 10 MB this month, and even more impressive 13 minutes of voice calls. That would be the result of working a grave shift and almost never calling on it during the day hours.

18. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I have used 25Gb since I git the phone almost 18 months ago. I definitely use it to tether. I use he WiFi apt as well.

I specially got on when I did to make sure I was able to secure a plan that was unlimited.

19. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Sprint w/ unlimited data but I'm also Not The Control Group here since I use my phone as a secondary (well, tertiary with the tablet now) working laptop. This month I've used 47 minutes so far and over 500 megabytes already although admittedly that included a reflash or two.

If you're around wifi literally all the time I wouldn't worry though, wifi is faster than cell data hands down anyway and if you use google voice right (grooveip or somesuch comes to mind) you can even cut out your carrier entirely for a large portion of the day.