1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

How much government involvement do you want in your life?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by cynthetiq, Jan 28, 2015.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I'd like to keep this from getting too political, but a discussion I was having with another couple of people made me wonder about this a bit deeper.

Yesterday was a blizzard that called for the shut down of NYC and surrounding areas. The shutdown didn't just come from the Mayor of NYC but also the Governor of NY who coordinated with the governors of NJ and CT.

I'm all for safety, but I'm also for a bit of personal responsibility. Telling people that they should stay indoors versus calling state wide bans of travel doesn't teach people that they should judge for themselves what is safe and not safe.

I want the least amount of government interference in my life, enough for businesses to have to follow rules and regulations to not pollute or bilk/cheat customers and enough for me to have enough "caveat emptor" about my daily life.

What about you?

2. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I am basically a believer that government should be as absent from our lives as possible when it concerns our sex lives (as consenting adults), our personal choices as regarding substance use in the privacy of our own homes, our religion or other personal philosophies, freedom of information, and so on.

But, on the other hand, I am every bit as much a believer that government should be lavish in things such as (but not limited to):
    The provision of universal education (and the decent payment of teachers), social services including universal health care on a single-payer system, affordable or even subsidized housing for the homeless, and the provision of sensible welfare programs.
    The creation and maintenance of diversion programs to keep at-risk youth and other populations away from crime, and rehabilitation programs to refocus prisons away from punishment and into the provision of criminals with opportunities and tools to better themselves and be prepared to be productive members of society.
    The creation and funding of adequate, humane, quality mental health facilities so that we don't either throw our mentally ill into prison or out onto the streets.
    Protecting the environment, including prosecuting gross offenders and handing out fines that actually discourage corporations from treating environmental disasters as just cost-of-doing-business.
    Investing in infrastructure-- not just doing minimal upkeep to prevent basic systems from breaking down, but investing in improvements and new systems to promote better, safer, cleaner, and greener infrastructure.
    Investing in scientific research-- and I mean heavily, not just leaving the bulk of vaccine, antibiotic, antiviral, and genetics research to Big Pharma or university programs funded by Big Pharma, not leaving the bulk of aerospace research to the big aerospace corporations and/or the military, not leaving energy research to power companies and/or the military, and seriously funding space programs, not outsourcing minimal development and research to private firms.
    Aiding and supporting family farmers and small independent farmers with tax breaks, incentives, interest-free or low-interest loans, and even subsidies to stay afloat, keep family farms in the family, to grow organic food crops instead of corn or soybeans for industrial food processing and meat production, grow industrial hemp instead of cotton or tobacco or logging timber, and raising free-range pasture-raised cattle and fowl instead of factory farmed meat.
    And aiding and supporting small business ventures, by providing tax benefits, simplifying bureaucracy, and offering interest-free or low-interest startup loans, especially microloans, to new businesses without significant backing or capital resources, especially new businesses in minority and impoverished areas.

I also think the government needs to closely regulate big businesses, banks, financial traders, and international corporations. I think the government should be there to level the playing field, and to protect the citizenry from unscrupulous profiteers: by regulation, by vigorously enforcing anti-monopoly legislation and breaking up corporations or ensuring the diversification of businesses and service providers in given areas, and by tying good corporate citizenship in both environmentalism, fair wages and labor practices to American workers, and fair wages and labor practices to employees or contractees in foreign countries, to tax breaks, import and export duties, fee and surtax impositions, and the awarding of government contracts.

So basically, I think there is a place for more minimal governance, and a place for more maximal governance.

To my mind, I don't see much harm in the government being on the cautious side when it comes to public safety. OK, so it turns out some places got a travel ban that didn't need one. Because nothing happened, people are annoyed at the inconvenience. And if the government had been right, and NYC had suffered the worst blizzard in 150 years? Probably lives would've been saved, as lives have probably been saved in New England because of travel bans and other restrictions or emergency measures there.

That said, I can also imagine that the government might be a little less cautious in such matters if we weren't such a vigorously litigious society. I wouldn't be at all surprised if one factor among many that drove the decision to handle this latest weather crisis the way it was handled was the fear that if they did not act with extraordinary measures of caution, and the shit really did hit the fan, they would get sued from here to hell and back by people injured or otherwise negatively affected by going out into the storm like idiots because no one told them not to do it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

I wonder how much bans like this are put in place for the safety of government employees, specifically emergency services personnel, who would perhaps end up risking their lives trying to rescue members of the public?

• Like Like x 7
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Part of the problem is that, no matter where you draw the line of what is reasonable, people on one side or the other will Monday Morning QB it any time something doesn't go perfectly.

It's pretty easy to point out flaws once you have every piece of data.

Not so easy when you are merely being predictive.

Not limiting that comment to weather either. Same with almost any type of policy.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Travel bans and warnings such as this are de rigeur in the PacNW when it snows. People choose to ignore them at their own peril, as we don't have the ability to plow and do upkeep like other parts of the country.

This is why.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ratn_Wl8XU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaksWCnHaDM

Following that bad storm in 2007, we had another in '08 right at Christmas. We were in Central Oregon skiing at Black Butte Ranch, staying in our friends' large vacation home, and laughing merrily at the suckers in Portland who ignored the warnings. When we weren't skiing, we were drinking and watching Snowpocalypse 2008 coverage. It was highly amusing.

Now, several years later, ODOT regularly posts travel advisories, warnings, and bans when snow is suspected. People generally do a reasonably good job of following them. Generally. I personally don't mind this kind of interference; it keeps people safe, and it keeps emergency crews safe. It's a momentary inconvenience, if anything. Sure, I'd love to say we can assume most people will be cautious and do what's best, but I know full well that that isn't the case. Here, most people suffer from a common delusion. "I can drive in snow," they say. "It's all the other idiots who can't."

[​IMG]

As for everything else, @Levite and I are of like minds.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I view it as government protection of the people and property. But, I think it comes down to how closely people listen and take heed the warnings from government. If NYC would have gotten the 15"-22" that was possible, would the people there had followed warnings from the government to stay off the roads with no penalty because it is the smart thing to do? The government of Boston probably did the same thing, but we aren't saying that they got it right and praising them.

7. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I think ever since Super Storm Sandy city and state governments have gotten considerably more cautious.
    Or maybe even Katrina in New Orleans.

With the arrival of storms that make ones in the past look mild (thanks global climate change) the government has to make some pretty serious decisions.
    If they don't push the panic button and people die, there will be repercussions that will last for years.
    It's better for them to look foolish for a few days than to have hundreds of people hurt or killed.
    Or a major cluster like what happened in New Orleans.

Alaskans are the worst for this kind of thing.
    They bitch and moan about how government has made people up here weak.
    How this used to be a state of rugged individualists and now it's populated bu weaklings.
    There's even a bumper sticker saying "We don't give a damn how they do it outside."
    You've seen our worst export, Sara Palin.

But the minute the roads aren't plowed or we don't get what we think is our due from the government the bitching and moaning can be seen in the air for miles.
    People want their cake etc. etc.
    They want the support and care that strong government offers but they don't want the responsibility that comes with it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Preach on, ma sista! Teachers/writers/quirky people/geeks/horny people/whatever unite!

• Like Like x 2
  9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

All of the above, and then some. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  10. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

as little as possible, but i know that aint gonna happen

11. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

1) Extensive and accessible public library system (+ public education, see below).
    2) Roads, bridges, and other infrastructure.
    3) Public transportation.
    4) Police that ensures the safety of all people.
    5) Medical care and assisted living amply provided for the disabled.

Thoughts on each:
    1) Libraries & Education
    I'd much rather see a model of public education that is built up around extensive branch libraries. The current trend of not funding libraries at schools and removing them all-together to make space for more classrooms is highly disturbing to me. I would like people to equate learning with literacy and libraries used as the incredible tools they can be for self-education. Having each school centered around a public library would allow public libraries to be highly accessible to all ages.
    2) Roads
    Commerce isn't possible without adequate roads. They need to be maintained and functional. Work on roadways needs to be limited to times that doesn't interfere with high-traffic times - but should be done continuously. Potholes and crumbling bridges should not be allowed to exist. Solar-powered roads should be a reality. Commercial high-speed rail systems should be expanded and maintained with the help of public funds. Passenger and freight should never share track. *if roads will not be cleared of snow or other debris during an emergency, the public must be informed, including informing them of the consequences that may happen if they do go out on poorly maintained roads. That is all. People can make their own choices.*
    3) Public Transportation
    Public facilities and centers of commerce should be accessible to everyone at all times. This basic service is badly lacking in America as a whole, and this trend disgusts me. People need to get places. It builds the economy overall.
    4) Police Force
    People need to feel safe in all spaces including roads, public transit, libraries, schools, businesses and homes. Police/sheriff departments need to make this happen. People should not be made to fear police or to be skeptical of their intentions. Police departments should be over-staffed and over-paid with a high standard for each incoming officer. Minimum education of every incoming officer should be a master's degree in criminal justice, a clean record, and a substantial background check. Remove anyone immediately who shows a tendency toward excessive use of force or violence. Continual martial arts training of police force should be mandatory to ensure physical fitness and mental focus.
    5) Disability Services
    People who are disabled need to have access to a quality of life equal to that of their able-bodied peers. We need to step up and make that happen.

Things that are intentionally missing from my list:
    1) Fire department. This should be a volunteer force in all municipalities.
    2) Paramedics. This should be privately funded and associated with local hospitals.
    3) Health Care. While I feel this should be universally available and free of all cost to all people, I don't want the government involved in any decisions whatsoever when it comes to my personal health - or anyone else's. I left it off the list for this reason.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

If you paid for plowing via taxes and its not plowed you are allowed to bitch even if you are not in favor of paying taxes for plowing.

Its like people somehow claiming that Ayn Rand took social security that it invalidates her position, even though she PAID social security and was in fact forced to like we all are.

13. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

That's the screwed up part.
    Alaskan's pay such a ridiculously low tax rate compared to the rest of you folks because of the oil revenues but they still can't resist bitching about it.
    Here in Anchorage we don't have city sales tax, there is no state tax, the property tax mostly goes to support the schools, etc. etc.

Considering when I was a kid I remember skiing to school and people getting together to clear the roads themselves it's a weird thing to watch.

14. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

Being we pay insane property and state taxes here, some of the very worst in the country, I'd be quite happy to help clear roads instead :)

15. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

@Herculite, you have mellowed in your old age.

16. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. mhannigan Vertical

All of it. Thanks.

18. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I want what I pay for, and that as we all know falls short. mostly what I see needs more Gov involvement, State and local as well, is Veterans. we pay and pay and then Veterans don't receive. It hurts me to see our military go do the things we can't or don't want to, just to be discarded by the red white and blue. too me it's black, so black.

19. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I think closures like what you talk about are fine.
    The population centers are just too chaotic and companies are too selfish to allow full normal dynamic during emergency or weather situations.
    I've seen it when they allow it...the cost and crunch is too much...better to be safe than sorry.
    Plus, if biz allowed telecommuting during this more, then it wouldn't be as inconvenient.
    Govt. services are people too...they have family also.

-------

I know from playing on the inside what it can and can't do...and where its weakness are.

And although, I take a Libertarian point of view...that's mostly in a social liberties context. There's no reason govt should be "getting into our lives"

I don't mind the NSA tracking on JUST meta-data...but once you get into the details, they NEED a warrant.

I don't mind the safety net, shit happens...you sometimes need assistance.
    Abuse is relatively minor...and mostly is used as an excuse to eliminate programs that is an agenda against.

We spend WAY too much in Military, a 25% drop of DoD would pay for most anything else in govt instead, if reallocated and what was left over to pay down the debt.

I don't want a single payer health system, if we did, the govt would be in our health matters...and it would be inefficient.
    The concept of the ACA is fine, you just have to tweak it more and limit the excesses of medicine and insurance.

I "do" want govt to protect our privs more from corporations.
    There's too much fraud, abuse and lack of protections that give too much the burden of proof on people and too much the benefit of the doubt for corporations.

------------

Of course, this is all NOW the things I want for the current situations and environment.
    It should only be used as a guide.
    And all options can change as dynamics and situations change. (such is life...and the human race)

I think govt and it's representative have a bad habit in thinking in the short-term and in black and white.
    You gotta look down the road...and adjust your speed and path accordingly.

----------

To make the above succinct.
    - Keep out of our business, protect our privacy.
    - Citizens should be protected, not businesses. (hey, make money all you want...just not on the pain of the people)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  20. Taneytown

Taneytown Guest

I love cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk