1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

How much of an age difference is too much?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by dodger01, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Tophat665

Tophat665 Slightly Tilted

Older you get, the wider the range. Bearing in mind that the end numbers are boundary cases, and so, iffy. I mean, for a guy they represent finding a trophy wife on one end (OUCH! HEY! Ladies you can stop hitting me! This is in the interest of SCIENCE!) and being the boy toy on the other.

2. Alistair Eurotrash

Umm.. try 34 to 101 .. !!! Now, THAT's diverse! :)

3. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

My listed profile age gives 61-211 :D
    Of course that age of 109 reflects my interests more than my actual years. At least that is my official story still.

4. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

This.

11 years? Pfft.

Thumbs up!

• Like Like x 2
  5. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

Happiness is what matters, to a point.

For younger people, a large age difference is more noticeable and questionable - an 18 year old dating a 32 year old is usually seen as weird, but a 30 year old with a 44 year old is less of an issue.

I think it varies on emotional maturity and stages of life. It isn't a set in stone age gap where everything above is unacceptable and everything below is fine.

6. My 22 year old daughter is spending time with a divorced man over 40. He's a nice guy and QW likes him a lot, so I'm not freaking out. My baby girl seems happy and he's treating her with respect. If I see either of those things changing, THEN I'll freak out.

7. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

I think it depends on the couple. The biggest age difference I ever had with a paramour was about 10-12 years, with her being older. If you click and you share similar values, age becomes less important.

8. A good friend of mine is dating someone who graduated from high school the same year as her dad. They met when she worked for him....and he was married.

She is no longer his employee and he is no longer married. They're now dating and are PERFECT for each other. I couldn't be happier for them. They are both coming out to meet BabySquirrel in 2 weeks. My friend is also going to take care of me because she has two girls and it would be nice to have my "family" around too. Right now it's just DaddySquirrel's family around. My brothers can't come out since they both have brand new baby girls themselves.

I hate that I feel I have to "warn" people about my friend's boyfriend that is 20+ years older than him. I should just leave it at my friend C and her BF are coming for a visit.

9. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I'm out and about and dating a bit.
    I often feel weird and somewhat perverted dating someone much younger than me.
    But at the same time, if I want kids "au naturale" then I can't really date 45+ ...the rules mother nature set up suck.

I guess it's no one's business but my own...still I get the sensation of "eyes" on me from others.
    That and it makes it more difficult to find ladies who're willing to date older men.
    Thank god I don't look my age. (at least that's what others say...)

10. *Nikki*

*Nikki* Slightly Tilted

I am currently conversing with a male who is 20 years my senior. I find the age difference exciting and he is very fit, handsome, successful and talented.

Age is not even a factor.

11. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Based on the formula, were I to become single, I should avoid women who are past the age of 105.

On the other hand, I could go out with women as young as 35. That is, if they were willing to have anything to do with me.

Even a 35-year-old is well over twice my daughter's age.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014

12. This.

Age is just a number. It's about where the respective parties are in their lives and what they're looking for. Maturity plays a huge part in this.

13. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

The equation gives me a range of 32 -> 107.

Nice, I have 33 & 34 year old daughters and I'm dying to hit on a 108 yr old woman.

Whatever, I married a woman that is 13 months older than me and I give her grief about it every chance that I get.

14. Shayla560

Shayla560 Vertical

Age difference shouldn't be the issue. Do you enjoy each other's company, do you have anything in common, can you both perform I've had relationships with huge age difference and really enjoyed them and others I didn't. Age shouldn't be the issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. rogue49

OK...this is me...3 years into the dating game (again)

It's NOT age...it's attitude.
    I've had the opportunity in the past few to date all age ranges (with or without kids)
    Some have their shit together
    Some don't
    Some younger people have got it all together...some older ones are flakier than hell. (much less insanity, financial, responsibility, consideration, kindness and other factors)

Don't even get me into some of the bullshit that some of the older ones did. (including simply just not showing up...then 2 weeks later asking "what happened"??)

And my time with the younger ones (who ask ME out, not I them) are influenced by all their friends and family who've never met me saying "Why?? He's old Eww"
    And yes...the ladies are slowly pushed away from me...halfly because they doubt themselves, half because I only have so much patience with someone who on our dates constantly asks, "WHY??"
    It should be simply us spending time together, getting to know each other...having something called a "relationship" y'know??

Now...just from circumstance, focus and how the way things flowed.
    The last three "long term" interests I was involved with were in their 20's (25, 28 and now strangely 23)
    This is NOT because I'm "into" younger ladies...because I attempt to get things going with women in their 30's and 40's too (I do have "limits" in age just because of my personal desire to have kids...my OWN kids)

The first...was going great until her friends and family influenced her. (we're still friends)
    The 2nd...was nice and sweet until I moved her in and she got a job in another city and became petty, selfish and demanding...a whole other person)
    The current...she came in out of the blue...from me just being friends to getting more intense...however, I'm questioning it because she's not "available", there's a distance...I just want someone TO BE WITH ME. (god forbid) :rolleyes:

Again, this is not because I didn't try with older or prefer younger.
    Hell...
    I just want someone who likes me, I like them, they LIKE sex, want to have kids...and are sane, responsible and kind.

Europe doesn't seem to have as much trouble with a age gap.
    Or am I wrong??

Can't we just get along?
    Without others being titillated or judging
    Life is hard enough as it is.
    Finding someone to stick around (without settling) is damn hard too.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Azharen

Azharen Getting Tilted

I like to date within 10 yrs of my age if younger, 5 if older. There are exceptions. It's just a guideline for myself.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

When I was 30 I dated a 21 year old sweet sexy girl. We had great fun together but our lives were so vastly different that it was easy to tell in the 1st week we just wouldn't work out. Lol. It was an amicable end and we're still long distance friends. However, I've been involved with men 20 years older than me and for the most part had smooth sailing. My husband is 4 years older and only when it comes to music and pop culture is that very noticeable. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Wow, back in the days when I still signed my posts like a letter. Anyway, here we are still together six years later, ages 41 (me, next week) and 51 (him, in Febr) and mostly happy. I knew by the third date that he was a keeper. Sex was a little strained at first, because he had been married to, and widowed from, a woman with no sexual appetite.

Some of the men of TFP can relate, eh.

He was somewhat tentative when we did it on the third date, but all the parts worked well,;) so, as the old business adage goes, hire for character and train for skill, and a few years later, here we are! He fucks like a rabbit and eats pussy like a lesbian. He's also a practicing, responsible adult in every way that matters to me. Our biggest conflict, really, is my aversion to flying in an airplane. He's really frustrated with that.

Yeah, I had a couple of goes with guys in their late twenties when I was sixteen. Weird.

Fortunately, neither Sig nor I are much into being on the bleeding edge of pop music and culture. He likes Euro techno and I like punk and old swing music. We both love jazz and classical. We both prefer listening to music and reading to watching TV. He's a Swede that loves NewMex and TexMex, and I'm from Kansas and love seafood. A marriage made in heaven, but, we're not married.

• Like Like x 1
  19. rogue49

Quite frankly, I think the age gap "issue" is more about what people think is "appropriate" and sexual limitations...than ANY natural cause.

Mother Nature doesn't care...it either works, literally...or it doesn't.
    Chance factors in...some people want it, some don't...some are comfortable with sex, some aren't...and they often cannot admit either to themselves, much less others.
    Society/Culture/Tradition/Law - where ever it is where you are also comes into play. (some places accept an age gap...some do not)

In truth...it works or it doesn't
    Age only comes into play when the person is literally TOO young to correctly have a relationship and sex...and if their bodies have gotten to ill or old to function or desire it.

America is a VERY age aware country...as much as we say we're open minded, we're not...and youth is king.
    So you're only "correct" when you are in a relationship with your age bracket...within 5 years of each other...and the man is older than the woman.
    Anything other than that...people "frown" on it, think it's "inappropriate" or titter about it like teens or exclaim about it like tabloids.
    Then family and friends chime in...confusing the "concern".

You know what??
    As long as it is in the law.
    And your junk works
    Fuck everyone else.

Find someone who likes you, you like them.
    Have the sex you want (none to a lot...your choice)
    And do not drive each other crazy (mostly...)

Easy.
    Everyone else can take a flying fucking leap.

Who are we to say who's appropriate for who??
    Isn't life hare enough?
    Isn't finding someone hard enough?? (if it's not being done for you...and that's another story)

If it's in the law.
    No one is getting hurt.
    Keep your nose outta everyone else business.

It's not age...it's attitude.
    Just rest is YOUR baggage.

• Like Like x 2
  20. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Mine is strictly artificial I know but it is set at no one younger then my oldest daughter.

• Like Like x 1