1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

How much trust do you put in online reviews?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Take about 5 photos of every place you review... they like that.

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I'll have to take pictures next time we stay there. That is how much we liked it. We have friends over there, but I don't always want to invade their privacy/give up my privacy to stay with them, so we were happy to find a motel we liked in our price range that wasn't totally skeezy.

3. I tend to gloss over the love/hate reviews on the ends of the spectrum and read what is in between. This goes for hotels, electronics purchases, professors at school, etc. If I remember, I make sure to add a review myself.

I use Rotten Tomatoes for movies - after reading the reviews, I can usually figure out if it's still something I want to see in theaters or wait until it hits Redbox.

4. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

I've been looking for a new golf buggy. I was looking at one that was quite nice looking and relatively cheap. It had good reviews (4.5/5) on the site I was looking on, and only through reading the reviews did I see that it had wheels that were illegal on golf courses (newer buggies all have 'flat' tires, as they do less damage by spreading the weight).

I was amazed that a few people had noted the wheels were illegal but still gave a 4/5 rating - just weird really.

It always pays to read the text.

5. Xazy Vertical

I think this one was a real review.
    [​IMG]

6. I check reviews every time we get booked into a new venue. I recall the reviews for Robert's Bar in Minneapolis were favorable in some areas, but totally flamed the barmaid for attitude and poor service. The night we were there, though, she was about the only bright spot in a fairly suck-ass night. Even the sound man offered: "Call me before you come back to town, I'll steer you to some cool clubs."

7. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

If there are reviews available I'll always read them... like when I was booking my holiday in Berlin I read up reviews of the hotels I was looking at. But you have to take it with a pinch of salt and you always half expect the owners have written the really glowing reviews.