1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

How seriously should this be taken? Man suing White Castle for small booths.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

If White Castle caters to those with "a little more weight," will this mean they will cater to others they're ignoring? Like vegetarians? They don't even have a veggie burger. What's up with that?

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I smell a lawsuit!

Or is that grease and onion?

3. Baraka_Guru

The lawsuit could claim an assault on animal rights in that customers don't even have the option of ordering a cruelty-free burger. You must contribute to the death of an animal to eat here.

Of course, corporate will claim that vegetarians can just order the onion rings, but I don't think that will fly.

4. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

That actually raises an interesting question--at what point does a lifestyle choice become a disease?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Baraka_Guru

Probably when it produces the disease.

Or are you wondering about the choice itself and not the consequences? Please clarify.

6. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

shit now I crave one.

[​IMG]

7. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

For example, alcoholism. In line with this topic, at what point is an alcohol consumer just a consumer who makes bad decisions, and at what point do we treat the alcohol consumer as a diseased individual, requiring public accomodation? I'm not talking about diagnostically (i.e., this person needs treatment), I'm talking about when is it socially desirable to make concessions.
    --- merged: Sep 13, 2011 10:16 PM ---
    TFP Road Trip to White Castle! TFP Events....GO!

8. Baraka_Guru

What sort of concessions are you talking about in this case?

9. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I actually had a burger for lunch today WITH an onion ring on it. :1up:

10. Baraka_Guru

I had a Buddha's delight–style Thai curry over rice. I guess that's some sort of Asian fusion? /nothinglikeWhiteCastle

11. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

I always wondered about Thai curry.

I generally avoid Thai food because of the surprise hotness factor.

But I always wanted to know how Thai curry compares to Indian curry.

12. Baraka_Guru

Thai curries range in heat depending on the colour and preparation. Green curry is often the hottest, while yellow is usually mild. Red is somewhere in between. This isn't always true. As I said, it also depends on the preparation. There are other types of Thai curry, but I haven't had any experience with them. Today, my curry was red and was hotter than I normally expect from a red.

I'd suggest seeking out a mild curry, perhaps a yellow.

/threadjack

13. Remixer

Cheers for the info.

Must have not been clear about it, because I wanted to know about the taste of the two. Which do you rank better?

At least now I know to ask for yellow curry in a Thai restaurant.

14. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Remixer, can you handle any heat? If so, you might still try the green curry. It all depends on who makes it. The biggest difference between Thai and Indian curries is that the Thai curries tend to use different spices (lemongrass, Thai basil, galangal). Many Indian curries (and the ones people not from India are most familiar with are northern curries) tend to use things like mustard seed, cinnamon, cardamon, etc.

Thai curries also use coconut milk, which helps to cool the palate of all the spiciness.

If you go to a Thai place, just ask if you can try a little to see if you like it. Conversely, make some yourself. It's not that difficult to make a green curry paste (just cut down on the curries).

Also, I'd argue that the red is hotter than the green as red chilies are hotter than green.

15. Remixer

Thanks for the tip, Charlatan.

I do love coconut milk in a good curry.

The thing about Thai food for me is, I really don't want to eat a dish of theirs and then find out I've been eating something akin to chicken feet.

My fiancee tells me Pad Thai is awesome, so I'll give it a go sometime.

16. CaptainBob

CaptainBob Slightly Tilted

How obese is to be supported?
    My brother is a bariatric surgeon in the Detroit area and he gave me a tour of his wing of the hospital. They had to make serious alterations to support their target clients.
    They had to widen the entrance to the washrooms. They had to replace the toilets, sinks and benches. Everything had to be built to allow for people who are 4 feet in diameter and weigh 400-500 lbs.
    Where would White castle draw the line? 250 lbs? 300 lbs? 350lbs?

17. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

It's the Chinese that are into chicken feet.

Most Thai food, outside of Thailand, doesn't have food you wouldn't want to eat. Even in Thailand, you aren't likely to get odd stuff unless you are off in a little village.

18. Remixer

My fiancée disagrees with you there.

"Well, chicken feet I've never seen it outside of Thailand .But in places like Bangkok and the major cities like Chiang Rai and whatnot, you'll find them selling Weaver Ants and eggs, Dancing shrimps (goong dten) in a sour chilli sauce, and of course the bird nest soup (made of their spit) in high class restaurants in the city. Most expensive soup in the world."

19. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Pad Thai isn't spicy at all (usually). It is quite a sweet dish.

Other Thai curries that aren't too spicy:
    * Massaman (traditional a beef and potato curry)
    * Penang (usually quite a mild coconut curry)

I'm with Baraka - the green curry is usually hotter than the red. We don't often see Yellow curries in Oz (though there are a butt load of Thai restaurants).

Damn - now I'm hankering for a Thai curry :(

20. Remixer

I know Pad Thai isn't spicy, but the last time it was near me the smell of it overwhelmed my nose and turned me off it for a long time.

Will definitely give your curry suggestions a try!

Also, if you want any Asian dish, go to Cabramatta. I hear there's few places in Sydney with better Asian dishes than what can be found there.

Of course it's a 50 minute train ride from Central with the yellow line and can suck a whole lot during rush hour, but it's well worth it.