1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

How should the government handle the producers of the video that sparked the ME riots?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by ASU2003, Sep 15, 2012.

1. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

the obama administration bothers me quite alot, truth be told. i dislike their foreign policy in particular. greenwald is largely right about what's been happening, i think. the administration invested in the transparently false "film" line because it undermined associations between these actions and us policy. now they've reverted to another bush period line by invoking "terrorism"...which also manages to divert attention away from the damage that the nato intervention did in libya and what it left behind. this kind of line also gets in the way of looking at the specifics of what's been going on in these various places and pushing them apart--because when you do that, the only thing left holding them together is us policy. which is a problem. and the policy choices are problems. what we appear to have is an extension of bush-period neo-con great game nonsense with a different rhetorical veneer---same passivity with respect to palestine, for example (which has achieved the rather amazing point of the pa threatening to back out of oslo, which would undermine the entire process, such as it is...this may not be bad in a sense from the palestinian viewpoint...and bibi clearly senses a problem---whence the idiotic demands for some "red line" on iran)....pakistan is self-evidently not awed by american policy toward it. nor should they be. yemen, sudan...indonesia i know less about politically, so am not sure about what's happening there. so this seems clearly damage control in an electoral season by the administration, which it's doing by demonstrating (again) the continuities that connect it to the foul old days of the bush people.

there's been a consistent conflict carried on by the obama administration to contain critiques from the left on its various policy choices. given the overall sycophancy of the dominant media, it's been successful so far as the teevee oriented public is concerned. but it's not worked at all for people whose primary information streams are on the net. and its' one of the main reasons why i am among those people who is reluctantly voting for obama....the idea of romney getting anywhere near power is just horrifying...but i digress.

of course, this trajectory undermines the centrality of the question in the op.

2. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Par for the course. If I could count on my fingers the number of times the US government has spun the truth to it's advantage (or outright lied) I'd probably need over a hundred thousand fingers.

Amazing that the Obama administration was so stupid to try pulling this stunt while it still had egg on it's face over the Bin Laden episode.

Page 4 of a thread which has dealt almost exclusively with a non-issue.

I feel like a chump.

3. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/21/world/africa/after-attack-in-libya-ambush-struck-rescuers.html?ref=global-home&moc.semityn.www

a cynical fellow might see in this latest installment of the sitcom the infotainment management strategies at work...wait, let's separate the "terrorist" part from the "mob" part because this "mob"/"film" narrative plays too much to the racism at the center of conservativeland...but with "terrorism" we can work the strong, manly man thing...

meanwhile, thanks to those advertising geniuses at charlie hebdo:

Islamic countries brace for anti-west protests | World news | guardian.co.uk

4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Below is an excerpt from an interesting report I stumbled upon, from the Strategic Studies Institute, no less. I'm not sure how much of this I agree with, but it does seem rather at odds with the mainstream and ongoing actions/dialogue/debates on the issue of Islam and the West.

The timing of its publication is interesting to note as well: The beginning of Obama's term. I wonder, oh I wonder, how much of this has informed his foreign policy.

Excerpt - Precision in the Global War on Terror: Inciting Muslims through the War of Ideas

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  5. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

that's what i was trying to get it. our arrogant heavy handed america knows best approach just doesn't seem to be winning over hearts and minds like we think it should. also separating the radical/terrorists sectors from the population has proved nearly impossible considering they aren't a standing army with recognizable uniforms.

6. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  7. redux

redux Very Tilted

Our approach to Libya (of aiding the peoples revolution, but not putting boots on the ground as opposed to invading and occupying like Iraq) seems to have won over the hearts and minds of the Libyan people.

From a Gallup poll:
    And as roach noted, a crowd of 20,000+ demonstrated to protest the attack on the consulate...10x the size of the anti-US demonstration/attack.

The worst thing we could do would be to disengage and move to a more isolationist ME policy.

8. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted