1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Christian, May 23, 2015.

1. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

That's funny, I find many of the people who want to tell me about Salvation to be objectionable.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  2. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

Dude, your view is totally subjective. Where's your objective evidence?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Actually, Jews do not now nor have they ever seen God as omnibenevolent. Isaiah 45:7 says: יוצר אור ובורא חשך עשה שלום ובורא את הרע אני ה׳ עשה את כל אלה. "I form light and create darkness, I make peace and create evil: I YHVH do all these things."

While I tend to reject the theological stereotype of "the God of the Old Testament" as a hopelessly rageful and vicious beast (sort of a divine Hulk) as both un-nuanced and polemically grounded in early medieval Christian theology, it is nonetheless true that none of the theologies in the Tanach (and there are several) depict God as omnibenevolent, or without strong feelings, or incapable of anger.

One of the strongest theological constants in Judaism from ancient to modern is the insistence that there is only one God, that He is the sole creator and source of all things in existence, and that He alone made the universe to be as it is. Therefore, if evil or negativity or darker emotions exist, it is because He made them, or created a universe designed to produce them in some sense. A doctrine of divine omnibenevolence is incompatible with pure monotheism, from the Jewish perspective.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

Here's where it gets interesting. Ancient wisdom of the Abrahamic faiths meets ancient wisdom of the Chinese.... I find a lot of congruence in ancient writings.

I often wonder if the writers of the ancient biblical texts, the writers of the Sanatana Dharma, Lao Tzu, and Confucius were all in a bowling league together....
    --- merged: Aug 11, 2015 at 9:55 AM ---
    YHVH SMASH!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015
  5. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

so... if people accept Christ, they do get 72 virgins?

6. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

image.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  7. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

• Like Like x 2
  8. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

And, I just heard nickelback is releasing a new album. I think my middle son must've got a new boyfriend.

• Like Like x 3