1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

How would your job be different if you were doing it in the year you were born?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Oct 7, 2016.

1. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Jobs been killing me. I've been working on a check fixture that has 4 part features that only allow for
    .0001 tolerance on each axis. Doing it on a Bridgeport that's my same age. All because the cnc or the operator can't. Ran it on the Hexagonal CMM today. Two more thousandths to go
    I'm going to beat this challenge.

2. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

A lot of paper cuts on the fingers!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Try milling the face of a "Christmas tree"/blowout preventer with four O rings.

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I'd be told which books to teach, and I would be expected to lecture every day.

No thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Childs play, Lol

6. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I was talking yesterday with the fellow who will probably be my landlord about this. He's been in the real estate business a very long time, and was interested in my work and how it relates to him. When I told him that one of the things I do is process automation he perked right up, and we spent some time talking about how things have changed; data that in past years would have had to have been painstakingly hand tabulated and parsed and sorted and acted on is all done automatically now. Input -> output happens with almost no human interaction. A lot of the real drudge work has just evaporated.

We also talked about the fact that, despite the pervasiveness of computers, the IT industry as a whole is very young and still maturing, and things tend to be very different in my world as a direct consequence of that, compared to most people.

In 1983 the closest thing to my current job would probably have been something like a sysop at a college. But that's still not quite right. My job can't really exist without the internet and modern automation/virtualization tools that just weren't possible with the technology of 30+ years ago. I think about that fact and then I think about how the pace of development has only accelerated since then and then I can't help but get excited about what's coming in the next 20-30 years.

• Like Like x 1