1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

hp touchpad sale frenzy

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ejkwt, Aug 24, 2011.

1. ejkwt

ejkwt Vertical

For those who don't know, HP announced they are backing out of selling computers, smartphones, tablets, etc.

So they slashed their new HP touchpad price to $99 for the 16 gb version.

Anyone get in on it? The frenzy is NUTS. There are thousands of posts in multiple threads each, on sites such as slickdeals. I've never seen slickdeals have so many posts.

personally, I didn't get one because it doesn't have an active digitizer (i.e., wacom), as I would like to write notes on it, and even though it could still be nice to read from, it is still a LCD and not a reflective, passive screen like E-Ink or Mirasol or Pixel Qi 3qi (so its not really a dedicated reader, either).

2. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

the age of polarization is upon us
    dell vs apple
    barnes and noble vs amazon
    verizon vs at&t
    vanilla vs chocolate

/threadjack

3. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I don't want to spend that much on deadend tech. I'd spend $50 but not $100.

It is a shame that Palm just fumbled too many times in the past few years when they used to own the handheld market.

Audrey, Foleo, WebOS, were just too much R&D money sunk in and no profit coming out.

4. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

I was off the grid for a few days. I wish I wasn't now - I totally woulda picked one of these up at a screaming deal.

5. wolf Evil Grin

I was hoping to pick one up for 99.00, but I didn't see it.

6. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

If I had the money, I would have jumped on it. So many things you can do with a tablet.

7. Carbonic

Carbonic Getting Tilted

I thought about it for awhile but decided against it. It's a great deal, and WebOS is a fantastic operating system, but I don't have a particular need for a tablet and I wouldn't be able to extend the TouchPad very much due to the limited number of apps for WebOS. Sure, I could turn it into an Android tablet... but then I might as well just wait to get an actual Android tablet, and get one with better hardware when I get around to it. I also thought about buying it in order to resell it, but I figure most people who want one will get one at $99, and it will probably be difficult to sell it for a profit after that point.

It really is a shame though. I wish Google had bought Palm so that they could incorporate more of WebOS into Android. That would be an amazing combination.

8. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

If anyone knows of anywhere online still selling at the clearance price let me know! Canadian sites be better.

9. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

The exclusive retailer of these in Oz sold out within hours of the announcement. Good luck finding one at that price that isn't already sold.

10. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I really did love Palm. My Treo was a wonder when I first got it. It's too bad they couldn't keep up.

11. Carbonic

Carbonic Getting Tilted

My first phone was a Palm Centro. I bought it because I was always pleased with Palm products in the past, and while it was good for its time the OS was already on the decline and Palm didn't seem to know what to do with it. Then WebOS came, but it was already too late with the Motorola Droid and Android 2.0 coming out only a few months later. To make matters worse, WebOS was crippled by inadequate hardware on the Palm Pre. When it was time for me to sign a new contract in summer 2010 and I was looking for a new phone, the decision about which OS to go with was easy... and it wasn't WebOS.

12. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I stopped using my Treo when I moved to Singapore in 2006. I've been stuck with a blackberry since then and have not really used Android, iPhone or WebOS. From what I can see, none of them offers a complete solution.

13. Carbonic

Carbonic Getting Tilted

No, but then again neither did Palm. Palm did business and organization right, but they could never seem to capture the more casual uses of the smartphone.

14. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

I managed to snag one of the $99 ones.

I didn't have high hopes for the device and for that I am grateful. I didn't have any notebooks/netbooks/tablet pc's before the purchase so I wanted something mobile and I just planned on using it for net surfing while away and puttign some pictures/videos on it to show to old relatives who aren't on facebook.

Ok so, I notice there's a camera on the front. I try to figure out how to use it and I can't figure it out. I google it up and find out the camera isn't usable except for skyping. Huh? In fact the only way to use the camera for non skype purposes is to buy an app. Wow.

I boot up the internet browser and try to figure out how to set the homepage. I can't figure it out so once again back to google. Turns out you can''t set a homepage. Wow. My cousin who worked at HP tried to explain to me how they planned the webOS to sync everything so whatever page you were last on with your desktop or notebook would automatically come up on the touchpad. I said "Well that's nice.... but I still want to be able to set a homepage."

So then I tried putting some .mov movies of me hiking onto the touchpad and playing them. Doesn't work. Back to google. Turns out I need to convert the files or buy an app just to play them. Amazing.

There's a reason why no one was paying $500 to buy these things.

15. blahblah454

blahblah454 New Member

I wish I got one of those, using it as a web browser while chilling on the couch is all I would use it for. Also, according to cnet you can now install android on it!