1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food I am having arguably the best pizza in Chicago tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

The catch is that you have to have a reservation, and you have to place your order when you make your reservation. Your pizza shows up at the table exactly at the time of your reservation.

We've never been, but we've always talked about going. A couple times we've called to try to get in, and never gotten through. We keep saying "we HAVE to go there!" because Burt is in his mid 70s, and eventually he's going to stop making pizza. Well, today I finally decided to call until I got through, and we made our reservation. So tomorrow, we should be getting some top notch pizza. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  2. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

That really does look good.
    Let us know if it lives up to the hype.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

And arguably that would mean you are having pizza that would approach average in New York City!

J/K. Enjoy!

4. Borla

Burt's isn't traditional Chicago style. :p

5. Borla

Mission accomplished.

Had to just about roll myself out of there.

Got to spend about 10 minutes just chatting with Burt, and even more with his lovely wife Sharon. It was just the two of them and one other worker manning the place and working the phone. Really great people. Sense of humor, down to earth, and just really like what they are doing.

We also sat in the booth marked "Anthony Bourdain sat here." :D

I asked if after we left if they were going to put a "Borla sat here" plaque up. They said the best they could do is mark the back of Bourdain's. :p

• Like Like x 2
  6. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Well, spill it.
    What kind of pizza did you have?
    How did it stack up to others you've had?
    Give us the dish (so to speak).

7. Borla

There were four of us. Two pizzas. One was sausage, pepperoni, spinach, garlic, and extra cheese. The other was sausage, mushroom, and spinach.

It was all awesome. Probably the best pizza I've ever had. Not quite Chicago-style, which was fine with me. Caramelized crust on the bottom, but soft and light above that. Great sauce, and fresh ingredients. The spinach was just laid on top in leaves and thrown in the oven, which was awesome.

The only caveat is you have to know the ins and outs of ordering ahead, showing up early, etc. The entire dining room probably only seats 30-ish people, and it takes Burt an hour to get the pizzas cooked. So if your reservation is for 6, your pizza will hit the table at 6. Not 5:59, not 6:01, but 6:00. We saw that in action when all three tables with reservations at the same time as ours had the pizzas all come out on the exact minute of the hour.

They also have a guest book they ask customers to sign. Just within the last day there were people from all over the Midwest, Ecuador, France, Brazil, and Columbia. Burt said he's had people call from all over the world. It's funny cause it seems to still amaze him, I don't think they realize how big of a deal they are. In fact, Food Channel just named Burt's Pizza one of the Ten Meals to Eat Before You Die or something like that. Bobby Flay hosts and Burt's makes the list.

Cool stuff. Definitely worth the trip. You just have to know to order ahead and know it is a tiny, old place. Great times talking to Burt and Sharon too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Hopefully Burt is still making pizza when we make our great pizza tour. That looks incredible.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I'm so jealous. And now I want pizza! I can't win.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Borla

Oh man, I had late night leftovers. They were phenomenal. Too bad I'm now out of pizza.

Oh well, was quite the epic cheat day.

11. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Chicago pizza sucks as much as Canadian beer.

:p Says me who's never been to Chicago or Canada.

Hey, things are a little slow around here.

12. Borla

It's not actually "Chicago Style" pizza. So :p yourself. :p

13. Chris Noyb

14. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Canadian beer sucks? Them's fightin' words, eh?

• Like Like x 2
  15. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

nice, now I have another place to visit when we make our next trip to Chicago. I don't know when that will be, but one day.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Borla

17. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

I watched the youtube video you posted originally. Who would've thought that using all fresh ingredients would produce a better pizza. /sarcasm

Seriously, the pizza looked really good. Good food doesn't need a high price tag or a celebrity chef.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I was in Chicago for about three hours Monday afternoon and had sausage deep pan pizza at Lou Malnoti's on Randolph. I'm no pizza expert, but that was awesome.:p Is that considered good Chicago pizza?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Borla

Obviously there are rabid and various opinions on what is good pizza, and/or what is good Chicago pizza. To clarify, Burt's wasn't really "Chicago style" pizza. It was more of a pan pizza, and for my money it was the best pizza I'd ever had of any style.

Assuming one truly knows and likes what Chicago style pizza is (many I've heard rail against it have never had Chicago style pizza in Chicago, which is typically very different than imitations of Chicago style served elsewhere), I'd argue that Lou Malnoti's Sausage is one of the primary and best known examples. I don't have a hardcore favorite. And to be honest, to me pizza can be done in MANY styles and be awesome (and I have to be in the right mood for Chicago style). But if someone were to ask me where to go to try good Chicago style pizza, Lou's, and particularly Lou's sausage pizza, would be in the top few places I'd rattle off to try.

Glad it met your approval. :D

• Like Like x 2
  20. Chris Noyb

I've posted this link before, but it's worth a repeat (and be sure to notice the Politically Incorrect comment about black athletes taking over all professional sports).

There's more the ^ scene where another fight starts, but right now I'm not finding the clip.

• Like Like x 1