1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

If I had a million dollars...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Katia, May 4, 2014.

1. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

And I would probably buy all that Tab with my million dollars.

Damn you, sir.

Other than that, get the awesome bike @damnitall wants to get me, travel, do something nice for my family (like give my mother all the Tab she could ever drink).

Start a microbrewery with awesome food, probably.

• Like Like x 1
  2. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

1st:
    Pay off the properties owned by my parents and my husband's parents.
    2nd:
    Purchase a solid block of homes, tear down the fences and replace it with a remarkable garden, then relocate family. This would have to be some location where we would all agree to live.
    3rd:
    Start a profitable and emotionally rewarding business as a family. (@GeneticShift , hubby and I have been daydreaming about a microbrewery with delicious vegetarian food).
    4th:
    Adopt children (our daughter would really benefit from some older siblings).

Last edited: May 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  3. rezudo

rezudo Vertical

buy my nan a nice cottage back in ireland

swear to myself that i would spend it wisely, help those who really need like the homeless and become a man of the people...

and then end up dead a year later in some grotty motel in thailand with a bucket of coke in one corner midgets in the other and a prostitute in the other who may or may not be a dude

• Like Like x 5
  4. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

You forgot Step 1B where you have to dig up and reanimate Farah Faucet Majors.

5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

A whole million? That's cute.

But seriously:

I'd pay off my debt, which would barely make a dent in that kind of money.

Next, I'd pay off the rest of my parents' mortgage and set up a small retirement fund for them. This is so my father can actually retire. (He's turning 68.)

I'd put whatever was left towards my own home and/or investments, depending on the circumstances.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rezudo

rezudo Vertical

whats tab cola?

7. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

• Like Like x 2
  8. Baraka_Guru

• Like Like x 1
  9. rezudo

rezudo Vertical

ah see i only drink irn-bru i donmt know anything else

10. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

@GeneticShift and @genuinemommy reminded me of another aspiration.

I'd love to own a winery with a really nice tasting room. As part of the tasting room, I'd like to offer picnic-style cuisine and light meals--nothing really heavy or intense. This winery in Southern Oregon is my inspiration: Red Lily Vineyards | Red Lily Vineyards - producing the finest tempranillo wine possible | Red Lily Vineyards They have designed all of their nibbles with their wines in mind, and it's a lovely experience.

And of course, my husband could brew some fabulous beer when we're not making wine.

As a side note, I'm glad all my parents' debts are paid off.

• Like Like x 2
  11. jillymayr

jillymayr New Member

buy a house and pay off my car then take a long vacay

• Like Like x 1
  12. snowy

Oh, I thought of another thing while driving around just now.

I'd buy this car:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Baraka_Guru

Over the weekend, I saw a blue v-10 version of this parked at my local grocery store. I didn't realize at the time that it has a $182,000 (base) price tag.

Dayum!

It looked like this one:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. snowy

And that is precisely why I would only ever be able to buy one if I won the lottery or otherwise somehow came into millions of dollars. It's not the first thing on my priority list, but it is my big FU to practicality.

15. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

One big thing -
    Buy a decent house and first thing install a proper dark room so I can develop all of my own film. Of course this requires the film negative scanner (already know exactly what to buy there) and probably an expensive printer capable of large print jobs (as in poster size at least, not the "large 8x11" size)

• Like Like x 2
  16. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

I would definitely take care of my remaining family.

I'd probably quit my job and devote myself to more charitable activities.

I would love to live near a warm beach.

• Like Like x 1
  17. kramus

kramus what I might see

Nothing special if it's a few million. The pressure would be off, but seeing as my occupation is Walker of the Dog I would be more concerned with minor comforts, trust funds for family support, stuff like that.
    Now if we are talking Stupid Money (SM) ...
    Naturally I'd fund multiple permanent moon bases. Not to mention multiple manned pure science space stations and manufacturing centres. Which of course are stepping stones for supplying the multiple permanent stations orbiting our neighbours in the Solar System, and the bases on the surfaces of all the major moons and asteroids. Of course the mapping out and processing of the mineral wealth of the moon (think of the huge amounts of minerals still close to the surface of the moon after all those asteroid impacts - no tectonic forces to hide them away) would help generate interest, funds, and trained personnel to make these dreams real. Eventually the Asteroid Belt and Kuiper Belts, not to mention the Oort Cloud, will become a thrilling source of scientific and practical wealth as well.
    Hand in hand with that would be the high end satellite network in place around every member of the Solar System. At least 5 for the sun and each gas giant. Tied in to these would be the descendent of the Very Large Array radio observatory in New Mexico. However this one would be System wide. Very cool.
    What would be really exciting is properly funding deep water archaeology. Imagine a fleet of robot subs and side scanning radar ships :) We really know so very little of the history of our species, and we have been around for ten thousand generations now. It's time to look for the Drowned Lands we lost when the glaciers last melted.
    As I said. Stupid Money. But it would be great.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I would also get some of this equipment. And yes, there just might be a theme on my "wishlist items"

• Like Like x 1
  19. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

If it was a million dollars, I'd invest it in real estate.

If it was multi-millions, I would retire and travel.

I don't want to work any more than anyone else does. Retirement would be sweet.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Baraka_Guru

Oh, I see that some are talking multiple millions. If I had multiple millions, it would go down a lil' sumptin' like dis:

I would drop $20 million on this: TOLD U SO Superyacht | Luxury Motor Yacht for Sale with Burgess.

I would then host an annual TFP Great Lakes Cruise Party, which would last two weeks (if you could handle it).

She accommodates only 12 guests, so you'd have to stay on my good side to guarantee a spot.

Oh, and @Plan9 is the official Cruise Director. No negotiations.

• Like Like x 5