1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest!
The donation button is here.
https://goo.gl/aFggcs

If you were to die tomorrow, did you lead the life you wanted to live?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by cynthetiq, Jul 26, 2012.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member Donor

Currently watching 2Cellos and picturing you with a similarly dramatic act.

• Like Like x 1
    • Lovely Lovely x 1
  2. MrMD069

MrMD069 Very Tilted Donor

Short answer no. Long answer, HELL NO.

I've always thought I was born a decade or two late. I missed the Swinging 70's with the free love and all that. Being a horn dog with social anxiety sucks. :confused:

I wish I would have started dating earlier than I did.

I wish I wasn't as shy and withdrawn as I've been all my life.

It would have been nice to get help with my depression sooner.

I should have released all the stories in my head and found more time to write.

Oh, let's not forget sticking to a workout plan. Yeah, failed that miserably several times.

I got lost for about 20 years after my dad died. It was sudden and I was in my teens. Talk about your rudderless boat. Although, had he not died, I never would have met my wife. Long story.

I wish I would have been braver about trying new things and meeting new people.

I mean, I've had a pretty good life but it just bugs me I was so shy and anxious most of my life. I missed out on a lot of fun things to do and see.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & don't criticize. Donor

No.

The inscription on my cremains urn, or possibly written on a piece of masking tape on a coffee can, will read:

My Full Name was born, lead a mediocre and insignificant life, and died. He was noticed by few, and will be missed by fewer.

4. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what? Donor

You would be missed by us.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Chris Noyb

A few folks, perhaps. My previous sabbaticals went pretty much unnoticed.

A thought: Being the king of mediocrity is meaningless, nobody pays attention to mediocrity.

6. tecoyah Getting Tilted

The point of this life seems to be self reflection and betterment, to become something more than we were. Being loved by the few is more than and deeper than by the many. I do not know what the life "I wanted to live" even means to be honest but the one I have would be what I wanted.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

At the end of the day as long as my wife and daughter know that i love them, and they have what they need, im ok. everything i do is for them. my daughter knows what kind of person i am and my wife knows i give it my all.

im old school, my word is better than a contract, and they know it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Lovely Lovely x 1
  8. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

No they didn't go unnoticed. You only think they did. Some of us talked about if we knew how to contact you IRL to maybe do a wellness check.

The last time someone went missing was because they were dying at their computer. Fortunately, many of us conversed with her regularly so we knew something was amiss when she wasn't responsive to calls and messages. Sorry for the downer... but I do miss her.

• Like Like x 3
  9. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what? Donor

This is heavy, @cynthetiq, but it's a very real consideration in our lives today. Being a regular participant in somewhat risky hobby (cycling), I think often about how people I know and connect with virtually might end up hearing about me being involved in a life-altering—or life ending—event when the only channel of connection between myself and those folks is me.

I noticed recently, for the first time, that our TFP profiles have space to include various social media profiles. In the past, having wanted to maintain a disconnect between my presence here and the outside world, I'd always hesitated to fill those in, thinking they'd somehow reveal a link between who I am here and who I am out there (which, to be honest, isn't really all that different). That being said, it's kind of a moot point since I am already connected with several TFPers on Facebook, and if anything serious were to happen, I'm sure word of it would somehow end up there. But this has clearly given me something to think about.

/threadjack

Back on topic: growing up as an outcast nerd kid with few friends at my school, I used to intersperse my revenge fantasies—performing onstage at Carnegie Hall in front of my dipshit bully classmates who would invariably bow down and grovel before me at the end of the show—with fantasies about how I'd be remembered if I died, or killed myself. I guess that question, of how you would want to be, or how you think you might be, remembered after your passing, is closely related to the question posed by the OP. I think my answer now might be a lot different than it was back then.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Chris Noyb

I appreciate the concern, and the post.

I usually only invite myself to my pity parties.

If it isn't too personal, or painful, what happened with person at their computer? We've had some deaths around here, the one that hits me the hardest is speedgibson, mostly because we were active at the same time, and I used to put in weird hours doing shift work.

11. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

WHAT??!??!? Speedgibson??? I didn't realize... or maybe I forgot.

@maleficient collapsed in front of her computer. I believe it was sepsis that got to her somehow and she passed rather quickly. Oddly enough her mom passed about a year or so later for the same reasons.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member Donor

Uhh. you must have had a memory lapse, because if I recall, you announced it. (car accident, I believe)
    I didn't know about maleficient though, sorry to hear it. I thought she just faded on hiatus from the board. Strange how the brain works. (and life)

However to answer the topic, things change in 8 years...
    Short answer - No
    • Still need to put out my big science theory - but I've been expanding and refining it.
    • Want to tour the rest of the world - Much of Europe, Asia, Australia and the rest of South America
    • Want to still have a family (my own mini me - boy/girl)
    After that, everything is negotiable.

• Like Like x 1
  13. International T.

International T. Slightly Tilted

Damn this is a good question. I'd have unfinished business. Life is a journey. And while I know I've taken some detours to get to where I am, I know I'm not where I want to end up. It's not bad, comfortable and surrounded by family but not entirely happy because there's so much more I want to do. I'm also actively pursuing it. So tomorrow would be too sudden. A "good life"? Sure. A "fulfilled life"? No.

• Like Like x 2