1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

If you were to die tomorrow, did you lead the life you wanted to live?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by cynthetiq, Jul 26, 2012.

1. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

I never want to grow up lol

• Like Like x 1
  2. bobby

bobby More Than Slightly Tilted ! Donor

As I enter the 4th quarter of life, I find my only regret is that I got old.

xoxoxoo

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

As the expression goes (long before George Burns), ageing isn't that bad compared to the alternative.

But yes, I know what you're saying.

• Lovely Lovely x 1
  4. Dayja New Member

No!

I was in a car accident in my early twenties, before air bags were a thing. Since I was young and invincible, I didn't have my seat belt on and I momentum smashed my face into the steering column and shattered. I went into a state of depression so I wanted to hide from the world, so I took a job in IT, where I could become the anonymous person behind the computer.

I have never really been happy working in IT, and thought of leaving many times, but my parents already throw the line "think or your kids", (single mom) and I would fold and stay in a job I hate.

Now it's been nearly 30 years since the accident, and my kids are grown, but I'm not sure if I want to start life over again, or just hold out to retire.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I'm guessing that we are about the same age.
    This is such a tough one.
    I don't hate my job at all, I actually love most of it but after 20+ years I'm feeling like I have had enough.
    The thing is I just need to do it for 5 more years and I will be set for retirement.
    So it seems easier and more realistic to just plow ahead and get that time in, and then I can go do whatever I like without regards to money.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Well, in the 1990s my life turned kid of hellish as my husband's alcoholism got worse and worse. I helped my own recovery using AlAnon and had to take to heart the principal that "We will not regret the past, but neither will we wish to close the door on it." I've made some bonehead moves in the past but do my best to go forward with better decisions. My choices, after all.:) So yes, mostly I've led a life of my own choosing and take responsibility for that.

The most important choice that I made was when I, with some trepidation, almost twelve years ago, left a great and lucrative job in Boston to follow my boyfriend, Sig, to Lincoln, Nebraska where he was offered a teaching and research position at the University Ag School. Sig is an expert on grasses. Not the kind you smoke, the kind grazing animals eat. He turned out to be a perfect fit for me, and Lincoln is a perfect place.
    I do my investing, play my bass, work on my Phd (which I'll probably never finish) I'm a half days drive to my hometown and family compared to a three days drive from Boston. I uh... hate to fly. More important as my parents age.
    So, yes. I'm cool with where I am.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 19, 2022, Original Post Date: Jun 14, 2022 ---
    I'm not sure I like this. It sounds like I think my shit don't stink! But I will admit to numerous mis-steps brought on mostly by my own arrogance. I guess what I am getting at is that when I get knocked down a notch I get up and try again.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Getting back up is the most important part.
    Getting back up means you care and want to make things better.
    But getting back up is the hardest part

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1