1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

I'm Looking for a BOX!

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Xerxes, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

OK, Version 2.

I just finished building my computer workstation. My old solution to the first time I asked this question of building cheap computers is not feasible anymore.

Here is the set up, I have 3 TV's in different rooms. I would like to be able to ...

a) watch netflix on all of them.
    b) watch shit I downloaded on all of them.
    c) have people in the other rooms watch different things on all 3 TV's present.
    d) not have to move hardware around.
    e) be cheap ... cable service is out of the question, I'm only willing to pay for netflix as far as monthly subscriptions go.

That said, this is my solution for it:
    1. Linksys E3200 Router.

[​IMG]

Why? Cause of that USB port at the back over there. That means external storage. When I download something, it goes straight onto my external hard drive and can be accessed by everyone with the wireless password.

2. Roku

This little box brings everything together. However I can't seem to find anything showing that it will actually access the information stored in the external hard drive. If it can do that, I would buy 3 of them to furnish all 3 TV's.

And there we have it. Tomorrow I will call Roku tech support and find out if it can access the info from the wireless router storage.

My computer is no longer connected to a TV. TV has been commandeered by the female unit and forcibly been removed from my power.

Can someone please come up with something better than that? I would appreciate additional thoughts.

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

We use our Xbox 360 to do the same thing. Downloaded content is on the external hard drive attached to our ASUS router. The 360 streams it without any problems.

It looks like you can do what you want to with Plex on Roku: Channel Store | Roku Streaming Player