1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

I'm looking to buy a car...

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Lindy, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Lindy's First Principle of Financial Growth: Never borrow to buy a depreciating asset.

Average first year depreciation on a $30K new car is about $5700:(

$5700 would buy about 42 shares of Berkshire-Hathaway BRK-B at today's price.

That doesn't include what you have to pay for financing, sales tax, license tags, and a year's full coverage insurance.

2. omega

omega Very Tilted

Heh. Talk to my girlfriend about that. Her scion is a $500 a month payment for 6 years. Because she has rolled over debt from two prior cars. She is very smart, but has a huge blind spot for cars. And her previous car was a 4runner. I don't think she fully understands that shit has ended now that she is with me.

3. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

We don't roll over any negative equity. He pays down the vehicle significantly before trading in. There was one lease car that took a toll, but the our payments remain the same on this one extended out four months longer than the 4Runner, no negative equity.

4. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

I'll add a + vote for the subarus. We have a 2001 Forester that is still going strong. Good on road car with a bit of off road capability. Having said that, if you aren't going offroad much, I suspect the ride quality of a VW/Honda/Audi would be better than this.

5. omega

omega Very Tilted

Yeah my mom's forester, which my sister ended up with, wallowed like a pig. My 2002 wrx handles much better, of course. Though it makes a fair amount of noise at 197,000 miles.

6. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I sorta felt that way about my Outback.
    Then we got a minivan. Now we really know what true wallowing is!

7. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lindy

I looked at an Accord this afternoon. It's at a Chrysler/Jeep dealership in a nearby small town. It's a V-6 EX-L six-speed manual (just what I want) and has amazing torque.:D

It was late afternoon, and they wanted to close early, so whenI asked if I could take it for an hour the sales manager, (who'd been staring at my chest for twenty minutes) said hey, why don't you just take it for the weekend,:) and bring it back Monday about noon, I'll take you out for lunch, and we can talk about the price then.

I think I've been hit on, but maybe mostly they just wanted to get me out of there so the could go start their weekend.:)

I left my SAAB and keys for security, and he didn't even have me sign anything! Driving it tonight, I see that it's got a headlight out. Oh, well.

I'll give it a good workout for a couple of days, and report back.

• Like Like x 1
  9. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I think the car salesman is thinking the same about you.

10. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Obviously, you're going to tell him to just charge you $500 more and stop looking at your boobs. :p

11. omega

omega Very Tilted

The fact is, it's hard to find a bad car model nowadays. Every manufacturer has it's individual lemons, but you can't really say an entire line is defective. They may be ugly, or dull, or slow, but they are generally pretty reliable.

• Like Like x 1
  12. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Last two cars purchased with cash feels great to have no car payment in the last 10 years.

Total amount spent on buying cars over my lifetime? $62,000.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lindy

I really like the car I took out for a trial.
    What I like:
    Incredible speed and acceleration combined with smoothness. Big instant torque, no turbo lag
    Good handling, smooth and quiet
    Good gas mileage
    Low (75,xxx) miles, near perfect interior, Honda reliability and service availability
    One-owner (I talked to her) up to date maintenance w/complete records, including previous owner's name and contact info
    Six-speed manual
    No evidence of bodywork, rust, or dents except for a couple little parking lot scrapes on front bumper.
    I like it, but I'm not infatuated. If this car had a black or grey interior and a more interesting paint color, I might be lusting, but I could walk away with no regrets. That's a good negotiating position.

What I don't like:
    Beige leather interior - don't like beige, don't like leather
    Complicated Nav and Audio system setup
    $11995 -- way overpriced and they allowed PO about $8600 trade
    Wheels need refinished, tires only so-so.
    Burnt out headlight
    Salesman say they've had it for a month, used car prep sheet in console shows Febr 2015
    AccordShifter13.JPG Smaller.JPG

When I go to see the the sales manager guy tomorrow noon I'll show enough boobage to keep him distracted.:D
    Part way through lunch, and after exchanging the usual pleasantries, I'll mention that I need to get back to Lincoln to look at another (cheaper) car, look at my checkbook balance, throw out a low but not insulting cash offer... (say about $8800 net) lay my checkbook on the table, lean back in my chair, take a little stretch, and shut up.:)
    --- merged: Jul 6, 2015 7:01 AM ---

I've only had five cars in my 23 years of driving. I've never had a car payment. That was my lower middle class family culture. I guess I learned to feel pride in living debt free. The only debt I've had was a result of my alcoholic ex husband leaving me holding the bag. Dave Ramsay is my shepherd, I shall not charge.;)
    Lifetime total spent on car purchases has been $12,300 (cash) for 3 cars, and I received the other 2 cars as free family hand me downs.:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 1