1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

In the title, but not the lyric

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by grumpyolddude, Feb 28, 2016.

1. A comment I made in another thread got me to thinking. I mentioned that Baba O'Riley by The Who is one of the rare hit songs that never references the title in the song's lyrics. But, come to think of it, it isn't that rare of a phenomenon.

Off the top of my head, I can think of several examples: A Day in the Life by The Beatles; Suite: Judy Blue Eyes by Crosby, Stills and Nash; Funeral For a Friend by Elton John (no lyrics at all!); Positively 4th Street by Bob Dylan come to mind immediately.

There have to be many more. C'mon, help me recall them!

2. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Oooooh. I immediately thought of Danny's Song (Kenny Loggins / Loggins & Messina) and Young Turks (Rod Stewart.)

Also pretty much every Panic! At the Disco song (at least the ones I 'm familiar with, I don't own any of their albums but like a few of their radio singles) and Love Song by the Cure.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nice ones! Not familiar with Panic! At the Disco material, so I'll take your word for it. Do they qualify as "hits?"
    Danny's Song is a great one. Reminds me that Simon and Garfunkel had a minor hit with Kathy's Song. Love that tune.

4. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Led Zeppelin Black Dog.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Over the Hill and Far Away
    They have others.

6. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

One of my favorites: "Banditos," by the Refreshments.

--- merged: Feb 28, 2016 at 4:05 PM ---
    Apparently it's just the one album that's like that... the song titles are quotes from other things. "I Write Sins Not Tragedies," "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide is Press Coverage," "Lying is the Most Fun a Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off," "There's a Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven't Thought of It Yet," and so on.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2016
  7. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

IIRC, the Talking Heads have many songs with unusual titles that aren't part of the lyrics (sorry, I'm not exactly a fan so no examples).

8. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I was trying to think of one as I was cleaning up the office. I found this album. I think all the songs have the title in the lyric.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456697825.285826.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Oh excellent one. Life During Wartime immediately comes to mind.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Years ago I read an interview with a member of TH. The writer asked about their song titles, mentioning that some felt as though they were some kind inside joke with TH; the TH member was serioulsy pissy in his reply. It sticks in my mind because I thought if you're going to use unusual/bizarre song titles, you should expect to be asked about them.

11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

• "Cherub Rock" The Smashing Pumpkins (though rock appears once; not sure what the rules are here; do we go by all words individually or by "terms"?)
    • "Smells Like Teen Spirit" Nirvana
    • "Bohemian Rhapsody" Queen
    • "Interstate Love Song" Stone Temple Pilots

• Like Like x 1
  12. I think those all qualify. The ambiguity of the term "hits" leave a lot of room for interpretation. Subterranean Homesick Blues by Dylan and For What It's Worth by Buffalo Springfield both qualify, in my mind.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Subterranean Homesick Alien, too. There are several Radiohead songs that I had in my head for this thread, then I lost them. Ugh.

14. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

Siberian Khatru by Yes.

Anything by Jean Michel Jarre?