1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Irene cometh

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by DamnitAll, Aug 25, 2011.

1. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

we hope in a day or two that you didn't HAVE a friend...

2. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

yeah see that follows a lack of respect for forces bigger than oneself and that lack of respect gets people killed.
    i hope we aren't reading of yr friend on monday.
    seriously--*fishermen* are pulling up in all around where i am, and we're not even sure what we're in for yet.
    people in nc know what's coming.

3. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

It was less than impressive here. We had more rain in the few days before. Funny to see the panic in Jacksonville on Monday, when it still said we were going to be hit directly. The sky turned black, the swells hit 9 feet... then the sun came out. I'm happy... and somewhat disappointed. But, it's all good. Baby kittehs make everything just fine. Three weeks.
    Good luck up north.

4. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

We've stocked up on water and canned food. Work is closed on Monday, and so is pretty much everything around here. Metro North will shut down at noon, the Merritt Parkway will shut down at midnight Sunday morning. I'm probably going to board up the picture windows tomorrow and sandbag the basement window. Work is shut down on Monday, and I suspect it will go longer than that due to being home to (as of a few years ago) the largest freestanding glass wall in the US.

A lot of people are acting like this isn't a big deal and telling anyone who does to "get over it." One of my friends has stated that hurricanes are always just a lot of rain by the time they get here and promised that he will be at the beach. I asked that he name me as a beneficiary on the life insurance policy he claims he will be taking out today. My friend is an idiot.

5. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Phrase of the Day: "Hunker Down!"

Know it, love it.

6. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

people here were ordered to pull up their boats because there's an astronomically high 11.5 tide (so prolly close to a 13) with a surge that's predicted at at least 4 feet. that'd put the surge over the top of the poles that hold the docks in place. that'd put the boats out into the marsh. even the most devoted fishermen and clammers are pulling up for this. it makes no sense not to.

7. Rekna New Member

I guess Eric Cantor has already ruled out the possibility of emergency relief funding. It is great when our politicians are so willing to play politics on people lives.

8. The NYC subway system has completely shut down. This storm will not be super windy like Ike or Katrina. But the surge and the rain fall isn't something to played with. Anywhere from 9" to 24" of rain. That is massive flood that might make you think an arch will be sailing down.

As a person that lived through a major hurricane going overhead. That is not something to take likely. And anyone who thinks these storms are no big deal and to get over it, well they should just fuck off. Its no big deal unless someone gets killed.

9. fill23ca

fill23ca Vertical

Hope everyone is safe and secure.

10. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Weird that I'm totally missing it, we're trying to watch it streaming but it's just not able to handle it out here I guess.

11. Ice|Burn

Ice|Burn Getting Tilted

You know what? Between an earth quake earlier in the week and now this hurricane bearing down on the east coast... Man can you guys over there not catch a break or what?

Oh and lets not forget that killer heat wave you guys had to deal with this year too. :(

(Deliberatly doesn't talk about how awesome the weather in CA has been this year...)

12. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

How's things going?

Mates of mine who live 12 miles away from the projected main force are battened down.

13. BadNick

BadNick Getting Tilted

These are my pics from just west of Philadelphia, Gladwyne to West Conshohocken. We lucked out, little or no power failure (my power was not interupted) and just a bunch of leaves and small branches around. The Delaware River is high but I haven't seen it yet. The Schuylkill River is about 10 feet (my estimate) above normal level as shown in these pics.

This is looking at the Fayette St. Bridge over the Schuylkill River in Conshohoken from the 2nd level of the ASME Building walkway in West Conshohocken. In the foreground those are driveways under a few feet of water so I guess the river must be up at least 10 feet over normal.
    [​IMG]

This is from the ASME Bldg in West Conshohocken looking across the Schuylkill River to the Hector Street area of Conshohocken under a few feet of water.
    [​IMG]

This is from above the Flatrock underpass in Gladwyne standing on the R.R. track over that road showing the Schuylkill River flooded. Just beyond those trees is the normal river path.
    [​IMG]

This is the Flatrock underpass itself. You can see the Schuylkill River and that road is normally a dry drive instead of being under a few feet of water.
    [​IMG]

Crappy picture as I was walking down through the ASME Bldg parking lot and found the ramp to the lower level totally flooded.
    [​IMG]

14. retrogunslinger

retrogunslinger Vertical

I live in South Carolina and we didn't get shit from Irene. We got kicked out of work over on the Navy base an hour early on account of the weather on Friday and I gotta say, I've had to sit through a helluva lot worse than that pansy thunder storm.

15. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

in the end, the storm tracked west of us. there's apparently a lot of flooding in western mass., upstate ny and vermont. here it was a little nutty this morning, but it didnt last long and was nowhere near as intense as the nor-easter that hit us just after xmas. we're still getting a lot of wind, but the sky's clearing. there's some concern about the tidal surge tonight, but i just came from the southern side of cape ann and it looks pretty obvious that the surge will be significant there...but here, hopefully, not so much. a bit of a fizzle then. but i like fizzle.

16. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Upstate NY, no power most of the day and a mess in the yard and on our hiking trails that will take weeks to clean up.

17. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

i've seen worse...

18. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Glad y'all made it through safely, so far. I had heard from my mom that there had been a few deaths, but she didn't have any info.
    Anyone else heard anything?

19. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Irene is long gone here in central MD. We had steady rain and some wind all throughout last night but never lost power. Today turned in to a glorious day, though lots of people in the area, close by and a bit further out, are still without power.

Hoping for the best for everyone.