1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Irene cometh

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by DamnitAll, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Glad to hear it's better than it could have been, so far. Take care :)

2. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

I'm glad to hear all of my friends in the affected zones are ok as well. I love the flack that NYC government is taking for the preparation and evacuations they made - claiming it was an overreaction. Now if the storm had been much worse and shit really hit the fan they would have been roasted just as bad for not doing enough. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

3. 81Malibu

81Malibu New Member

We are getting the winds from Irene like normal for us, but they seem to have calmed yesterday was crazy windy.

4. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Gutted for the devastation in New England, especially Vermont, my favorite state and the home of many fond memories from my formative years.

5. My friend and his boat survived. Spent about 10 hours bailing water after the pumps failed but all's well that ends well.

6. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

all I have to say is.. electricity is awesome.

We got hammered pretty hard. Have a few trees down, lost power for a few days and the roads are crazy. Luckily there's no major flooding here, but the outer banks are completely annihilated. Oh well, at least I get to play with the chainsaw for a while.

7. Xazy Vertical

I was worried about Irene. I live in NYC and on a high floor on a highrise. I am also right by a wind tunnel, and throughout the year we get very strong winds regularly.

I stayed up til 4am, until I felt it was safe for the family to stay. In the end in NYC the storm did not hit us bad at all. We did lose 5-6 trees, some of them over 60 years old. There was no damage to the building, only a bus stop got smashed.

I really found the winds to be not even as strong as other storms we have had this past year, it was just the rain, and the fact that we have already had record amounts of rain this month that caused trees to fall down.

The biggest concern I saw was the evacuation of the hospitals, I know people who could not find family or loved ones until Monday since no one knew where they were evacuated to.