1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Is Capitalism Broken?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by ASU2003, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

Real wealth is the type of wealth that translates into economic value. I remember a Beanie Baby trend, some people at the peak of popularity valued their collections at unreasonable values. A person that owns a set of Craftsmen Tools has something that has real value in my opinion and I would include that in a measure of real wealth - I would not include a valuation of Beanie Babies in a measure of real wealth as they trade at unsustainable levels, have no production value, and are not rare.

Measuring wealth is technical, not everyone agrees on how it is to be done. In the studies you cite, do you know how they measure wealth. I don;t think you do.

You say that. I don't. People who value interest payments find them material. Etc. If a wealthy person wants interest payments they will focus on that, otherwise interest payments could be totally immaterial.

I was not as clear as I needed to be - I am talking about what is considered more important. If you read books like the Intelligent Investor, some of the many books written about Warren Buffet's investment style, or any good value investment style book you know their focus is not income statement oriented. Great industrialists grew their wealth based on productive assets, income statements secondary. Small business owners focus on cash-flow or minimizing bottom line taxable income from income statements. But, I don't know what I am talking about everyone reading this should assume that I have just been put in my place.

By definition, if there is a wealth concentration isn't it concentrated in the hands of "outliers"? But hey please disregard anything I posted in this regard, again I have bee put in my place. Assume, I am just a creative writer who makes shit up.

I would suggest everyone take full advantage of Qualified Retirement Plans (there is a technical definition) to the degree they have access and to the degree they can participate - and if they do - overtime they will accumulate significant sums of savings. But, you know me, I am a hard ass SOB who doesn't want poor people to eat - so disregard what I post - I am so so unreasonable and I have no clue.

Let me know when silly season is over.

{added} Since I don't know shit, I figure I should give you folks a citation - Enjoy. Oh, it is a Beginners Guide from the SEC - they help define the rules of "the game." Assuming anyone would want to get into a broken "game"!

Beginners' Guide to Financial Statements

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Economic value includes goods and services. As far as services are concerned, people are willing to pay me anywhere between $40 and $80 an hour to help them make their words come out right. That's economic value because it generates money based on perceived value.

If Beanie Babies have a perceived value above their cost, then that too is wealth. This is why eBay has its own Beanie Baby Buying Guide, including how to gauge their condition like they were baseball cards. I don't know where you draw the line between Craftsmen Tools and Beanie Babies, but I tend to draw the line between something of marketable value and something without it.

I'm not sure what study you're talking about. You'll have to point it to me. Do you know how they measure wealth?

Now you're trivializing it by saying, "Well, some do, some don't, y'know? You never know."

What's worse, though, is that you're denying your own claim. That's just lame.

For the record, you did say that. You said income is immaterial to people with "real" wealth. It's obviously false.

But what's the point? What value is that to the 47% who need to use their income to build wealth?

They also employed many ruthless tactics and were deceptive, unethical human beings. Andrew Carnegie is a prime example of the so-called "great" industrialists guilty of this. They're hardly good examples.

Why don't they focus on wealth? (I really need to stop asking you about this; I'm just flabbergasted by your claims.)

You can stop playing the martyr now.

No. They aren't all outliers like Zuckerberg.

Blah, blah, blah.... Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Trust me. You'll be the first to know.

3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Again, Aceventura ...why are you instructing people in concepts???

They're intelligent, they understand...they just don't agree with you.

Seems like a impasse to me...you don't get what they're saying, they don't get what you're saying.

---------------

Now...I don't think Capitalism is broken in this context...it's working great at the moment.
    U.S. Stocks Climb on Jobless Data as S&P 500 Nears Record

'Made in the USA' Making a Comeback

Foreclosures are down, Real Estate is up, Sales are up and more...
    Even the government is looking like they are getting closure to a deal
    and they've even started some patchwork fixes...
    Lew Says He Is Optimistic About Agreement Over U.S. Budget

But I think this is what everyone is saying how Capitalism is broken,
    cronyism, corruption, limited or non-prosecution of current regulations, etc...

JPMorgan Misled Investors, Dodged Regulator, Report Says

The Consumer Protection Agency can't move forward.
    The SEC is spineless and not aggressive enough.
    The FDIC is inconsistent too...and more.

It's not that we need more regulations, it is that we need enforcement of current regulations.
    And make prosecution and penalties ...in a timely manner, with enough bite to prevent further scams and neglect.
    That companies stop looking at the smaller business and citizens as just another patsy to take advantage of....and then walk away.

Or do you approve of Big Business just taking what they want...lying when they want??

I certainly don't.
    Just do good business...Just give good service...make money, simple.
    Or are corporations just a new form of mobsters??? :mad:

4. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

There is a difference between the microeconomics that I am talking about, and the macroeconomics that you are talking about. I am talking about an individual family. Let me give what I hope is a clear example: If my husband and I make a total income of $17,000 we are not "identified as" being in poverty. As a family of two making $15,500 or more, we may be broke, but we are not officially in poverty. If we have a child we would then be "identified as" being in poverty because the poverty level for a family of three is $19,530 So, having a child has moved me into poverty. I am laying no collective blame on "the poor." I even realize that a hundred years ago that such "reproductive work" might actually have increased the capital stock of the family. However, that appears to no longer be true.
    Doesn't it make more sense to just assume that the main reason that some people are too poor is because others are too rich?
    Are you implying that multigenerational poverty is NOT a problem? If not, we should find a way to reward such a desirable situation. How about a $10K up front bonus for each child born into an impoverished family? And a $1K stipend monthly for the next eighteen years.
    --- merged: Mar 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM ---
    I am not putting the entire blame for poverty on "these people." I will say that a person in poverty may have little control over their situation.
    Reproduction is one thing that they do have control over. From the point of view of microeconomics, individually, they can take advantage of that. A microeconomic action. Even a small decrease in the rate of people being born into poverty, in the long run, would have a macroeconomic effect.
    I would support a kind of "No child born behind the eight-ball of poverty" initiative that would reward the childless poor in some way, similar perhaps to the way that theEarned Income Tax Credit works.
    --- merged: Mar 9, 2013 at 10:54 AM ---
    Of course, fairness means different things to different people. But I agree 100% and I'd happily volunteer to be the first Commissar of Compensation. Watch out class action lawyers, overpaid athletes and other entertainers, hedge fund managers with none of there own skin in the game...:D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013
  5. Baraka_Guru

I don't assume that. I just think it's odd that you'd expect an entire class of people to not have children. At all. I think you're looking at the problem from the wrong end.

Part of the problem is that they don't have the same full control over reproduction as would those in the middle or upper classes. There are a number of factors affecting this, including education levels, access to birth control, and access to abortion.

Rewards like better wages, better working conditions, better education, less violence, better housing, and better healthcare?

It makes one wonder.

6. Aceventura

I repeat - Income does not build wealth.

I don't communicate in flowery language, I don't believe in false hope or false optimism.

The only legitimate route available for a poor person to build real wealth is to save.

You may think if a poor child signs a $10 million dollar contract to play basketball that's his ticket to real wealth, it is not. The Count of people in a similar circumstance who have gone bankrupt or who now have no net worth is high.

Far to many people buy into the b.s., excuses and belief in short-cuts. The people waiting for the next big promotion. Waiting to win the lottery. Waiting to marry a prince. Waiting for the next government program to solve poverty. Waiting for someone to give them a job. Waiting for someone to fix they system. Waiting, waiting, waiting.

I repeatedly say income and wealth are independent. You don't get it or I am an idiot. We know what your view is. Mine won't change. In my mind when I say wealth and income are independent - it means one can be manipulated and it may or may not have an impact on the other. Pretty simple stuff to me, but I am an idiot.

I say what I think the relationship is, I don't recall reading you view on the relationship. Do you think they are dependent on each other? Are they correlated? What? Have you given examples or have you elaborated on how the relationship reacts under certain circumstances? If have missed all this, please repeat or point to the post - or is it your only calling to put me in my place.
    --- merged: Mar 15, 2013 3:56 PM ---
    I know some poor people. Perhaps you get it. Why are their people who have access to the tools that will allow them to build wealth, but they do not take advantage of those tools? I know some who simply don't know. I remember once talking to my mother, she was a smoker. I ran some numbers, and if she spent money on buying Phillip Morris (dollar cost averaging) rather than money on smoking, she would have had over a million dollars in wealth based on stock appreciation and dividend reinvestment over the time she smoked. If she could have got the money to buy 100 shares in 1960/reinvested the dividends and never did another thing at the time she would have had over $700,000 of value in the company.

You don't agree that poor people should save. You don't agree that poor people need to get involved in owning a piece of our economy? what is it that you don't agree with? Is it that I used $30,000 in an example and not $20,000??? Do you get lost in all the trivial diversions some posters enjoy?

Problem is when comments are focused on me. Attempts to put me in my place are a waste of effort.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2013
  7. Baraka_Guru

Save what? A portion of one's income.

You say income does not build wealth. You then say, in a span of no more than 30 words, that a legitimate way to build wealth is to save.

This means one of four things is likely occurring here: 1) You don't know what you're talking about, 2) You don't know how to express yourself in terms that most people would understand, or 3) You are intentionally trying to confuse people.

This is trivial and assumptive.

Far too many people bust their asses and have nothing to show for it despite their best efforts to get their financial houses in order. Next time you want to seriously consider an issue, try looking at the big picture instead of cherry-picking.

It's not "my view." It's a fact. Your view is some kind of ideological posturing. You are so rigid in this posturing that you've contradicted yourself more than once as a result.

Independent in this context means there is no connection.

Wealth is connected to income in that one uses one's income to save up a sum of money in order to make an investment. Otherwise there would be no way to make an investment (outside of debt) if one has no wealth to speak of. Without an income (or debt), there are few practical ways to built wealth. Regardless, there is certainly a connection between wealth and income. Even wealthy people use income to invest (often income from their investments). Example: 401K (U.S.); RRSP (Canada)

Income is connected to wealth in that one can generate a substantial income from investments. Otherwise, the wealth is merely trapped as a book or intrinsic value. One cannot use book or intrinsic value outside of their inherent uses. One cannot clothe oneself with book value, nor can one feed one's family gold bullion. Without income, the wealth will remain trapped forever. Therefore, people will consider various income options for their wealth, including realized capital gains, dividends, or interest payments. Regardless, there is certainly a connection between income and wealth. Example: Buying 1,000 shares in a company for $1 each and selling them for $1.50 each.

I think you know these things. I shouldn't have had to type them out. I just wanted to make a point that your use of language or ideological posturing or whatever your problem is is distracting because it's wrong. Say what you want to say another way or at least admit you're wrong.

As outlined above, they aren't dependent on each other per se, but there is certainly an essential connection between them. This is especially the case for people with no assets and low income. They can't wake up tomorrow and decide to have $1 million in assets to work with, income be damned. They need to use their income to generate wealth. They take savings, they invest, they build wealth. They take the wealth and use income generated from it to build it further, all the while contributing to it from their regular income.

It's not difficult. I think you know this; you just have a really shitty way of saying things. Wealth and income are not independent. Yes, they're different things, and yes, they operate as distinct entities, but to say they're independent is misleading. They're not.

I've worked with several financial advisors, money managers, and fund managers to the extent of helping them present their knowledge, advice, and ideas in a way that is easily digested. Not one of them would dare suggest that income and wealth are independent. Making the two work together is necessary, and it's something everyone needs to learn in order to adequately manage their finances.

Now please drop the posturing and start talking in practical terms.

You're not an idiot; I'm not an idiot. Stop wasting my time.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  8. Aceventura

I just read this and I find that I am at a loss for words - I am sure people like Warren Buffet or any person on the Forbes list of billionaires is sitting around waiting for their passbook savings account statement showing how much interest they earned the previous month. I suppose if they have a billion or so in a savings account paying less than a percent - it actually would add up - but I doubt, even at those levels, the amounts would be material to them. Perspective is important - some people think big some don't - Oh, but I bet you think a billionaire would get 2%/3% maybe even 5%. Note from 1976 to 2011 Warren Buffet averaged a 19% annual return - I wonder where a person can get that from interest? Do you know? Please share! I take it all back, I am clearly not an idiot. I definitely know what I am talking about. I have never been put in my place.

9. Baraka_Guru

We're talking about income, not savings. No wonder you're at a loss for words. Try to stay focused, champ.

10. Aceventura

I know how I define income, I don't know how you define it. A person can start a business and have no income while the value of the business grows - in this example surplus cash is saved (reinvested) in the business.

Or..., never mind.

Is this a corollary to don't use outliers while discussing outliers?

It means what I said it means - look it up.

What about investing time/effort/creativity/gifts/etc.

Debt financing can be used to leverage assets for further investment. Real-estate investors often use this approach. Mitt Romney created personal wealth by using leveraged buyouts - unlocking the value without using or putting his income at risk.

I am going to stop now. I am going to move on. I understand what I am dealing with.
    --- merged: Mar 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM ---
    For the record. I say interest is immaterial to wealthy people. Interest is a form of income. Passbook savings accounts pay interest. There are other means of earning interest income. Interest income is going to be of little concern to people with exceptional wealth. Interest income will not give a person 19% average annual returns over a 40+ year period of time. Arguing with the point is pure silliness.

11. Baraka_Guru

This is for the best. There's a term for what you're doing. It's called weaseling. You can say up means down, and that left is left but there is no right, and that we should just ignore backwards because forwards is where it's at. However, that doesn't change a goddamn thing, does it?
    --- merged: Mar 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM ---
    We're not talking about that exclusively. (You're doing it again; see above.)

12. Aceventura

What would you call this:

I say water and wealth are independent.
    You say, there has to be water to create wealth - because if there is no water there is no life and without life there are no people to generate wealth.
    Therefore what I say is wrong.

And what you imply is that wealth is a dependent variable to water, even though the manipulation of water as a variable will have no measurable resulting impact on wealth.

I call it pure silliness. A diversion. Trivial.

13. Baraka_Guru

This post? I would call it a waste of my time.

It's a good thing this conversation didn't happen because things are already confusing. I could say "investment income," and you'd likely say, "No such thing!"

After all, in your world, dividends and capital gains aren't income. The IRS begs to differ.

14. redux

redux Very Tilted

It is no coincidence that wealth is highly concentrated among those with the highest income.

[​IMG]

In large part, for those with incomes over $10 million, nearly half of their income comes from capital gains and dividends, on most of which they pay only a 15% tax (back to 20% this year).

Yes, wealth is increased as a result of benefits of the tax code for the top, as well as other tricks not readily available to most working class families. Those on the top have their money work for them, the rest of us work for our money.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Baraka_Guru

A lot of them also work for money—a lot of money.

16. redux

redux Very Tilted

17. Baraka_Guru

The actual wealth distribution shouldn't come as much of a surprise when you realize how easy it is to build wealth with the more wealth you have. Beyond the usual practices of wealth management, you have favourable tax rates and widespread nanny statism supporting the corporate practices one builds their wealth from. I at first thought plutocracy was a strong term when referring to the U.S., but the more you look at it, the more fitting it is.
    --- merged: Mar 15, 2013 at 5:50 PM ---
    The country can't afford that shit. I mean, look at Canada: The minimum wage ranges from $9.75 to $11, and we're headed for anarchy.

18. redux

redux Very Tilted

We must heed the Austerions

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. Aceventura

I have another one.

I say - Intellect and wealth are independent.

Somewhere in the reaches of Baraka's mind he muses - if possible for there to be zero intellect, the person can not generate wealth. Therefore Ace is wrong.

The implication being that wealth is a dependent variable of intellect - further suggesting that manipulating intellect (adding more or taking some away) it will have a resulting impact on wealth or wealth creation.

The Ace response is a simple exhibit:

[​IMG]

Who has put who in his place?
    --- merged: Mar 15, 2013 at 8:51 PM ---
    Why wouldn't you support a consumption tax? Tax people based on the social resources they consume. don't give me the standard talking point, a consumtion tax can excluded food and other basic necessities of life.

Sounding like Reagan - yes, let's simplify the tax code. Perhaps we can workout a compromise. Tax simplification has my support. I would get rid of things like the carried interest exception to regular income - why hasn't that been addressed yet? Who doesn't support fixing this in Washington?
    --- merged: Mar 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM ---
    Forget the fact that minimum wage increases are inflationary and materially hurts urban youth employment. Young unskilled men don't need jobs, let them rob old ladies of their social security money so they can get fat eating over-priced tacos at Taco Bell and drinking 64 oz cups of Coke. (ed. -sorry that is Pepsi at Taco Bell. Hope I fixed that before Baraka saw it - he would have to put me in my place again.)

When are liberals going to pass a bill to encourage business to sell fresh food in low income urban areas? I bet something like that might actually help people. But, wait - we can't have Wal-Mart in the hood providing jobs and fresh food!

20. Baraka_Guru

Are you drunk or something? I can almost hear your slurring.

I like your style though. Keep adding abstractions, and maybe I'll eventually agree with you. Classy.

Pro tip: I won't agree with something that's objectively false unless I'm tricked while I'm drunk.

My guess is that it will take five beers before you could trick me into believing that a dividend isn't income. (I don't recommend trying this with the IRS.)

Do you doubt Paris Hilton's intellect? Her shrewdness? She even has you fooled? Wow. She's better than I thought.