1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Is it normal to want a baby so young?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by sunshineandshadows, Sep 9, 2011.

1. sunshineandshadows

sunshineandshadows New Member

I am almost 19 years old and have wanted a baby since I was 15 or 16. Earlier this year (in June) my I had a miscarriage and it was sad but I dealt with it. I feel this empty void in my heart and halfway hope my period won't come ever since then. Part of me feels this is normal but part of me feels it's not the right time for a baby.

Any thoughts?

2. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Think about this:

Reproduction is the single most illogical and selfish thing you could do at 19.

Human biology and The Way that Life Works Today (TM) are often conflicting.

No Brainer: Just because you are able to have children doesn't mean you should.

I once talked with some PRT / Civil Affairs (hearts 'n minds) guys in Afghanistan.

One of those dudes said the best birth control he'd ever seen was education.

Afghan girls going to school weren't married and knocked up at 15.

Females being allowed to and encouraged to attend school?

Huge deal. Social tectonics in action.

TL;DR - My Point:

Don't give up on your education.

There are a number of reasons to avoid having a child before you've established yourself to the standards of Western society.

If you have a kid at 19, your odds of completing college "on time" are nearly zero. Without said education, your jobs prospects are crap.

If you have crap job prospects and are taking care of a child, even with the help of a spouse, you're still fighting uphill for your future.

Long hours, multiple jobs, piles of debt, lifestyle expectations not being met. You're not going on vacation, you're driving a '84 Corolla.

How are you going to save for your retirement, the kid has to go to college at some point, right (unless you expect the military route)?

Sure, you might want to have a kid, but that's not a whole a lot different than me wanting to have two hardbody nymphomaniac brunettes chained up at home for when I go on vacation. You don't need a kid right now. You've got you to worry about. And you've got life to live. You've got classes and Cancun and most certainly new partners (few relationships last through college). So ignore your biological cravings and realize that when you have taken care of you, you can think about bringing another screaming poo factory into this polluted, overcrowded and violent world.

Anything less would be uncivilized. I apologize for being all doom and gloom but I've seen how "Had Kid Before College" ruins lives numerous times.

/I really do talk too much

• Like Like x 2
  3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

No, that isn't normal, nor is it healthy.

I agree with what 9er said: Just because you can have a baby doesn't mean you should.

I'm ten years older than you, and married. Would I like to have a baby? Sure, but babies are expensive and require a lot of resources, not all of them financial. You would have to be prepared to give up your social life, unless you have good social resources in place. You would have to be prepared to give more of yourself, and hope that you have good emotional resources in place. Being a caregiver is draining.

How would you continue on with your education if you had a child? How would you support it? Knowing that you are on financial aid, I know that your extra money from your school refund would be eaten up by costs associated with this child. You could basically kiss that money goodbye. Infant childcare in particular is expensive--expect to pay between $900-1000 a month for quality childcare. When would you study? Eventually, something might have to give and you would have to give up school--and what then? How would you continue to afford your child without an education?

4. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i would say as long as you're married and have enough income go for it. if not, hell no.

5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I think, based on what we know about brain development, that most people are better off waiting until after 25 to have a child. Prior to 25, the frontal lobe isn't fully developed, and neither are executive decision making skills, or the ability to think about consequences.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

I'm sorry, but she doesn't strike me as nearly mature enough to fully understand the implications and responsibilities that comes with having a baby.

You don't make a decision like that under consideration of your own situation, future prospects and all of the issues involved, when you're 15.

The absolute majority of girls/women I've met so far want/wanted a baby and were close to make a reckless decision at some point in their lives due to being too caught up with the idea of having a cute little baby girl/boy and how awesome it would be to take care of one.

Does you wanting a baby mean you're ready for one? Have you considered ALL the implications of such a decision, and the responsibilities and hardships that come with it? Ask yourself those questions and think about them long and hard.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

Based on another thread, she has had a boyfriend for 10 months; so no, she isn't.

What is his outlook on babies?

8. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

Three words.

BIG FUCKING MISTAKE.

9. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

My oldest daughter was born when I was 24. There is good and bad with having a child at that age.

Your single / party / normal teen 20ish lifestyle will come to a complete and utter stop a few months after your child is born. That was OK for me at 24, it may not be ok for you. At 24, I had a fairly good job at IBM and a spouse that was an RN. Finances were still pretty tight, babies are stinkin' expensive, even with 2 middle class incomes.

On the good side, I didn't watch my kids participate in sports, I joined them. I've picked up my daughters' skis off of expert runs and taken them on 2 week backpack trips in Alaska. At 55, I have a 4yr old grandson and neighbors with 4yr olds of their own. I love my grandkids; but being able to send them home is nice.

10. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I was pushing hard for a baby in my second year of marriage... if I'd had on, he/she would be nine years old right now. That kinda blows my mind.

I'm glad we didn't have one, though. I thought I was ready at 21/22, and believe me, I wasn't. I'm not even sure if I'm ready NOW.

My mom had me when she was 19. I just...I can't even imagine. Go enjoy your own life before dedicating it to someone else.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Hi, sunshineandshadows

I totally agree with the above posters.
    I totally respect your biological feeling
    And I support your feeling that it's not the right time for a baby.
    In fact, well done as you keep strong that questioning on behalf of the right time and also on behalf of your baby, who, unborn, cannot answer that part.
    In giving h/er your best answer, your feeling of NOT YET, you are already being a good mother, as you wait until you can give your very best "Yes" to that biological feeling which, I believe, will include not just giving any birth, but also about being the mother who will best support your child's life.

I have no children, and I believe most of the above posters do. Sunshineandshadows, let's re-read their words.
    Take care :)

12. lionrock

lionrock Getting Tilted

If you are willing to give us a whole lot of freedom and can support yourself and you want it, it is your life. It is both harder and more rewarding than I expected.

13. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

It's not that children aren't rewarding or that they can be lots of fun (and aggravating little shits at the same time), it's just that at 19, there is so much going on that it's not fair on the mother or the child most of the time. Most people don't have a solid career at 19, most people still like to go out on the weekends at 19, most people enjoy the freedom of not having to carry a diaper bag at 19. It has nothing to do with the fact that you'll be a good mother, it has to do with the fact that life is still being laid out at 19 and a child is not something that you can just say "oops, this is not my thing" and change.

I enjoy my kids, but I didn't have them until I was 26. Even then I feel it was a tad early, but like Stan said, now I can be a part of their games etc and not be looked at like a complete moron. (shutup jazz).

Just wait a bit.. and if you aren't married yet.. wait even longer. Most people don't understand how good it is to just enjoy married life (if there is actual enjoyment) without the extra work that children require. There is no rush.. just trust us on this one.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Remixer

I like your signature very much, Glory's Sun.

15. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

We're 35, and we're still waiting.

Kids seem to me a rather serious inconvenience.

16. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Remember that deep down you want to do what's best for this baby-to-be.
    And you know that means waiting until you are more prepared.

17. Poetry

Poetry Totally Sharky, Complete

I had a friend in high school, probably 15 or 16 years old, who told me that all she ever wanted was a baby. Apparently, she had wanted a baby for years prior.

But she knew she had to wait until the situation presented itself as good for both her and her potential offspring.

So she waited. Now she's 29 and has five kids. Maybe six. I can't keep track of all of them.

Maybe it's not the most normal thing, and it's likely a psychological or hormonal thing pushing at you. But you're not psychotic for wanting a child, as long as you realize that when you have a baby, you need it to be born into the best possible situation. Being parented by a 19 year old isn't the best possible situation. Give it a few years.

18. Mick

Mick Vertical

Strangely enough I seem to be one of the few men my age I know who actually wants to be a father.

Beats the hell out of me why though, I can't fucking stand other peoples kids.

19. Remixer

Agreed. I also want kids, but not a single one of my friends below the age of 25 wants one.

20. Condolences on the miscarriage, sunshineandshadows. I sincerely hope that the underlying cause does not affect your future attempts at motherhood.

I don't think that what you feel is necessarily not normal. That would depend on why you feel that way. The OP is very emotionally charged. Strong emotions can overrule all the sound, practical advice being offered here. But, you're reaching out. Reach for whatever support you can find.